AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a JBL PSW1000 from 1999. It is big, it is loud but it is boomy, especially since I had to move it to a corner of my room which is the only location that I can put a sub now. The "corner" backs onto a set of folding doors that go into the kitchen. My room is 13ft long, 16 ft wide with 8 ft ceiling. My equipment is Yammy RXV-795 receiver, 3 NHT Superones for main and center channels and 2 NHT zeros for surround. I want a tighter sub for music (rock mostly). I am really not interested in shaking the house down for movies. Also, I have wall to wall carpet on a concrete slab. I have been reading about SVS, HSU, Acoustech BIC, Dayton,and Mirage. I really don't want to spend more than $300.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
If your budget is less than $300, then SVS is out, and the Hsu line will be limited to the STF-1, which is only an 8" driver. The field narrows considerably when looking for quality below $300 that can also fill a room.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
If you are only going to spend $300, I say just get a BFD. That way you can get rid of the boomyniss.

Or, if you want to spend a little more then $300, get dual Dayton 10" subs and a BFD;)

·
Registered
793 Posts
You might also consider the fact that placement in a room and room acoustics dominate the sound of any sub. Your "boomy" JBL will likely be replaced by a "boomy" SVS if you are unable to place it correctly. If you have no other placement options or no money for access to parametric EQ like Behringer, I see no likelyhood that your sound will change regardless what sub you buy.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow 8
You might also consider the fact that placement in a room and room acoustics dominate the sound of any sub. Your "boomy" JBL will likely be replaced by a "boomy" SVS if you are unable to place it correctly. If you have no other placement options or no money for access to parametric EQ like Behringer, I see no likelyhood that your sound will change regardless what sub you buy.
i agree. the worst placement is going to make better subs sound almost as bad.

·
Registered
8,700 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Shadow 8- Thanks for your take on my situation. That is what I am worried about - replacing my sub won't make any difference since it must be placed in the corner as described in my original post. I'm not sure "boomy" is the right adjective to describe the sound my JBL puts out. I saw another owner describe it as "sloppy" - maybe that would be more accurate. What I want is tighter bass for music.

Unicron - What is a BFD? Don't forget my sub is on carpet on a concrete slab floor.

Ian - I have definitely been checking out comments on the Acoustech H-100 - But would it be an improvement???

Thanks.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bumpiing to find out what is BFD?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.