AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current setup has the DTC-100 connected to my NEC 50MP2 plasma display with both the RGB (analog) and S-Video outputs. I use the RGB for HD programming and S-Video for SD channels.

I am looking to upgrade my STB but was wondering what my best options would be. My display has an additional set of BNC connectors (5 inputs), and a DVI input. The problem I have is that the STB will be about 15ft from the plasma, and I'm not sure if a DVI cable can be used at that length. Will 1080i output through a component cable look as good as RGB analog or DVI? Also, which STBs are the best at upconverting SD or lower level formats to 1080i?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BTW, I am looking for a major improvement in SD programming. SD programs through the DTC-100 loook relatively dismal from either RGB or S-Video outputs.

·
Registered
23,239 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by saxguy
BTW, I am looking for a major improvement in SD programming. SD programs through the DTC-100 loook relatively dismal from either RGB or S-Video outputs.
IMO... not matter what STB you use, upconverted SD programming from cable or satellite will not compare to OTA that is upconverted.

Cable and satellite compress signals and with that you lose picture quality on digital TV's with SD. Many individuals suffer the same 'problem' and use the S-Video for all SD programming.

I use a DTC-100 with analog cable and for OTA. I have been very satified with the PQ. Any channels that appear to be 'sub-par' on cable, I chalk up to the cable head-end or the feed from the signal originator.

I wouldn't look at 15' as a problem for an decent quality cable and IMO the difference upgrading from component to DVI would NOT justify the upgrade cost (at this time, perhaps).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.