AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been driving my system with a 11year old Yamaha YST150.....it is far from being an audiophile/HT caliber sub to match the rest of my system, but it does its job ok. :p

I've been thinking about upgrading, but don't know what price range to jump to and what to get....

in the $500 range, I'm looking at:

- Axiom EP350

- Rocket UFW-10

- Swan Sub10BC

- Velodyne DPS

-SVS

In the $1000-$1200 range, all i've seen that has great reviews is:

-Axiom Ep500

any recommendations would be appreciated! My system right nowconsists of:

-Yamaha DSP-A1 rx (and Denon 4803 2nd room)

- Denon 3910 universal player

- Swan 6.1 mains, 3c center

-Infinity IL10 surrounds

- custom wires (IXOS, etc)

thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
257 Posts
For the $1000-$1200 range look at:

Onix UFW-12

SVS PB12-Ultra or PB12-Plus/2

Velodyne SPL-1000 or SPL-1200

Paradigm Seismic 10

ACI Titan

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I see you've already found and posted in the subwoofer forum. I think Prozakk gave you good advice for a sub that would mesh well with your existing equipment.

Since you are sharing the space with your toddler, it looks like you've had to make a few compromises. With that setup, I'm not sure you'd get the bang for your buck with the more expensive equipment. If you think you'll be using the same space/setup for a while, the $600 HSU/SVS models provide good value. Plus you wouldn't be nearly as upset if your toddler ever trashes it.

I'd suggest investing the remainder into acoustic treatments.

By the way, how do you keep your toddler away from your Swans - I guess Bayan is only 1 now? And how well would you say the Swans and Infinity's integrate?

[Edit:] fpar95: Sorry, didn't mean to diss your post by ignoring it - I was spending a little too much time composing my own post that I missed yours. I'd agree that that's a good list that you've put together.

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by cme
I see you've already found and posted in the subwoofer forum. I think Prozakk gave you good advice for a sub that would mesh well with your existing equipment.

Since you are sharing the space with your toddler, it looks like you've had to make a few compromises. With that setup, I'm not sure you'd get the bang for your buck with the more expensive equipment. If you think you'll be using the same space/setup for a while, the $600 HSU/SVS models provide good value. Plus you wouldn't be nearly as upset if your toddler ever trashes it.

I'd suggest investing the remainder into acoustic treatments.

By the way, how do you keep your toddler away from your Swans - I guess Bayan is only 1 now? And how well would you say the Swans and Infinity's integrate?

[Edit:] fpar95: Sorry, didn't mean to diss your post by ignoring it - I was spending a little too much time composing my own post that I missed yours. I'd agree that that's a good list that you've put together.

let me see if I can answer some of your questions:

1. Yes, the room is not the most acoustically efficient setup, but hey, that's all I have to work with.... the family/TV room is also the children play area (yes, another one on the way! :eek: ). Is not bad, but could be better for sure.... For now, I am not worried about investing in room treatment, since at some point in the future I will make it a dedicated TV room only.

2. Bayan was all into the speakers the first day I had them with the grills off....so, I had to put the covers back on. Since then, he hasn't really messed with them too much (knock on wood)....He also started pressing all the buttons on the $1500 3910 and the $2500 DSP-A1, but I had to put an end to that :D

3. any recommendations on which SVS or HSU model in the $600 to get? I have never heard them before....My experience has been relegated to Klipsch, Paradigm, and boutique Subs (B&W, etc).

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFABAMAD
Build you own infinite baffle sub. It's the only way to go!

Robert

:cool:

looks like a lot of work...I don';t even have time to wax the car nowdays, much less do that! but I will keep it in mind... :)

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo
3. any recommendations on which SVS or HSU model in the $600 to get?
I think you can get a lot more value through the consumer-direct channel than through the boutique stores.

From HSU, there is the VTF-2 and VTF-3 . Your Swans are specified to go down to 35 Hz (at -3 dB, probably). Either would keep up with your Swans but the latter would more faithfully represent the 20-40 Hz region.

There were a few SVS models recommended in your other thread in the $1200 range; but the less expensive models might also deserve consideration.

If you are running your 6.1s full-range in a room without EQ or acoustic treatment and aesthetically pleasing (ie, less-than-ideal acoustically) placement, you probably won't get the best bass out of your subwoofer. I'm going back and forth on whether that means you should 1) opt for a higher end sub with built in PEQ to manage some of the peaks or 2) buy two less expensive subs (like the VTF-2) and a parametric equalizer like the BFD or 3) whether you'd be better off saving the money and just buying something sufficient to cover that bottom octave.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.