AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been driving my system with a 11year old Yamaha YST150.....it is far from being an audiophile/HT caliber sub to match the rest of my system, but it does its job ok.

I've been thinking about upgrading, but don't know what price range to jump to and what to get....

in the $500 range, I'm looking at:

- Axiom EP350

- Rocket UFW-10

- Swan Sub10BC

- Velodyne DPS

-SVS

In the $1000-$1200 range, all i've seen that has great reviews is:

-Axiom Ep500

any recommendations would be appreciated! My system right nowconsists of:

-Yamaha DSP-A1 rx (and Denon 4803 2nd room)

- Denon 3910 universal player

- Swan 6.1 mains, 3c center

-Infinity IL10 surrounds

- custom wires (IXOS, etc)

thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
For $1k, I'd suggest SVS PC or PB Ultra. Leave the $500 models alone.

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prozakk
For $1k, I'd suggest SVS PC or PB Ultra. Leave the $500 models alone.

how do those compare to the Axiom EP500?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Right now I have the hsu vtf/2 matched w/ swan speakers. The hsu replaced a velodyne, which replaced an infinity. I'd put the vtf/2 right up there with the swan c3 in my satisfaction rating, and w/ you having a c3, understand what kind a praise that is...

With that said I'd look at the cubic ft of your room and how much extension you feel you want before deciding on a particular model.

One other thing, with your small child sharing the room, they sometimes like to stick toys and other things in holes (like sub ports). You may want to look at the outlaw subs, both the drivers and ports face the floor. Also Dr. Hsu helped in the design of the outlaw sub...

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarg
Right now I have the hsu vtf/2 matched w/ swan speakers. The hsu replaced a velodyne, which replaced an infinity. I'd put the vtf/2 right up there with the swan c3 in my satisfaction rating, and w/ you having a c3, understand what kind a praise that is...

With that said I'd look at the cubic ft of your room and how much extension you feel you want before deciding on a particular model.

One other thing, with your small child sharing the room, they sometimes like to stick toys and other things in holes (like sub ports). You may want to look at the outlaw subs, both the drivers and ports face the floor. Also Dr. Hsu helped in the design of the outlaw sub...

awesome! thanks...I will look into it.

anyone else has any experience with teh Axiom EP350?

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
How big is your room? Does the size of the sub matter much to you?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
also how loud are your listening habits? what's the mix of music/movies? How low do you want it to go?

Prozakk's right, your system deserves at least $1K in subwoofage.

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am about 60-40 HT-Music..... room is not very acoustic (family room with toddler's toys :0 ).

it's about 18" x 20", but open on the backside to the kitchen.... click on my sig to see pics of the front of the room (the back is open to the kitchen)

I don't particularly care for loud ear plumeting Bass, just some nice Clean chest thumping bass with music and nice low freq reproduction with movies.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo
I am about 60-40 HT-Music..... room is not very acoustic (family room with toddler's toys :0 ).

it's about 18" x 20", but open on the backside to the kitchen.... click on my sig to see pics of the front of the room (the back is open to the kitchen)

I don't particularly care for loud ear plumeting Bass, just some nice Clean chest thumping bass with music and nice low freq reproduction with movies.
If you have space/WAF OK, go big... SVS PB/2-Plus. You are pushing 3000 cu-ft.

*edit* well that is what I would do...that or wait for the UFW-12 or the new HSU HO. Regretably I don't know enough about the newer Axiom subs, even though I like their speakers....

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I agree with Paul, that budget and space are begging for the Plus/2. Another viable option would be the UFW-12. It will not have the same output but the sound will be sweet and you don't have to worry about toys in the ports.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
ssabripo:

I have a 30' X 17' media room which I fill quite nicely with a HSU VTF-3 MK II. My main speakers are Magnepan 1.6 QRs with Magnepan 10s as surround speakers (I run with a phantom center). The HSU is quick enough for the Magnepan speakers but has great extension for home theater functions. It is quite reasonably priced as well.

Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnilan
ssabripo:

I have a 30' X 17' media room which I fill quite nicely with a HSU VTF-3 MK II. My main speakers are Magnepan 1.6 QRs with Magnepan 10s as surround speakers (I run with a phantom center). The HSU is quick enough for the Magnepan speakers but has great extension for home theater functions. It is quite reasonably priced as well.

Good luck in your search.

Thanks! will look into it for sure!

anyone have ANY experience with the Axiom subwoofers?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.