AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for some advice! i cant listen to a cd, a sacd, a dvd or any other format, without getting loud pops , i tried onkyo and the technical support at the place i bought my diy sub. its a nht1259 driver with a kiega 300 watt amp, they were nice enough to replace the driver twice and test the amp twice and found nothing wrong with the amp (i put a total of about 30 seconds on the two drivers) my 805 sub setting is set at 0db, my sub volume is at 1/4 (i dont dare go half way ) does any one have a clue where i should look? test? i appreciate any effort.

·
Registered
273 Posts
First of all, I'd question why you replace the woofer twice - it has no bearing or impact on the signal itself, and it can't create "pops" without an amplifier or source sending it the "pop" in the signal. Stop barking up the 'driver' tree - it just reproduces the signal that's sent to it, and in this case - the signal is bad.

Random pops could be caused by (a) Bad input, or (b) Bad amplification. To diagnose bad input, you'll need to connect the sub amp to a different receiver, or at least a different audio device. You -could- connect either the left or right audio output from your CD/DVD player directly to the RCA audio input on the sub amp. It may sound like crap without appropriate crossovers in place, but you can rule out if the "pop" is being caused by the sub amp, or the RCA to RCA cable you're using to attach things.

If you discover the "pop" isn't being caused by the subwoofer system itself, then start looking at the Onkyo for resolution. It could be something as simple as a bad solder joint on the LFE output on the receiver.

Greg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
greg, thanks for the response. I had to change the driver twice because it blew twice, both times after one loud pop! the third driver has recieved many pops but seems to be holding up waiting for me to fix the problem. Im currently working on your suggestions. I will post any results.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammong /forum/post/14327726

First of all, I'd question why you replace the woofer twice - it has no bearing or impact on the signal itself, and it can't create "pops" without an amplifier or source sending it the "pop" in the signal. Stop barking up the 'driver' tree - it just reproduces the signal that's sent to it, and in this case - the signal is bad.

Hehe, wrong! It can certainly cause pops if there's a mechanical failure/flaw, or if it bottoms out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsman /forum/post/0

greg, thanks for the response. I had to change the driver twice because it blew twice, both times after one loud pop! the third driver has recieved many pops but seems to be holding up waiting for me to fix the problem.

Ding ding ding. We have a winner! Driver bottoming out.

Here's what you do to fix it.

1) stop turning the volume up so much. Or...

2) upgrade to a bigger subwoofer that can handle the volume you're wanting to reproduce.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts