·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Yum.

8)

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
As usual Hollywood is planning a remake of this movie.

BTW, check out the other Park Chan-Wook movies being remade: "Oldboy" with Will Smith, "Sympathy for Lady Vengeance" with Charlize Theron, and "Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance", as well as a remake of "JSA - Joint Security Area", which takes place on the US-mexican border.

Also in the works remakes of Bong Joon-ho's "Mother" and "The Host"

·
Registered
6,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss /forum/post/16952120

As usual Hollywood is planning a remake of this movie.

BTW, check out the other Park Chan-Wook movies being remade: "Oldboy" with Will Smith, "Sympathy for Lady Vengeance" with Charlize Theron, and "Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance", as well as a remake of "JSA - Joint Security Area", which takes place on the US-mexican border.

Also in the works remakes of Bong Joon-ho's "Mother" and "The Host"

After seeing other films that the U has butchered I think I'll opt for the originals until we can come up with some fresh ideas of our own here. Thirst has my attention but it takes a lot to get me to go to Berkeley.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Viewed "Thirst" (aka Bakjwi) this weekend - very original dark take on vampires! Religion, lust, romance, and blood sucking what more could you ask for? Although a bit long the performances are wonderful and the cinematography superb.

"Sang-hyun, a priest working for a hospital, selflessly volunteers for a secret vaccine development project intended to eradicate a deadly virus. However, the virus eventually takes over the priest. He nearly dies, but makes a miraculous recovery by an accidental transfusion of vampire blood. He realizes his sole reason for living: the pleasures of the flesh."

Highly Recommended for Park Chan-Wook fans.

·
Registered
6,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss /forum/post/17544166

Viewed "Thirst" (aka Bakjwi) this weekend - very original dark take on vampires! Religion, lust, romance, and blood sucking what more could you ask for? Although a bit long the performances are wonderful and the cinematography superb.

"Sang-hyun, a priest working for a hospital, selflessly volunteers for a secret vaccine development project intended to eradicate a deadly virus. However, the virus eventually takes over the priest. He nearly dies, but makes a miraculous recovery by an accidental transfusion of vampire blood. He realizes his sole reason for living: the pleasures of the flesh."

Highly Recommended for Park Chan-Wook fans.

Is this still in theaters or already out for rent?

·
Registered
2,768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi /forum/post/17545307

Is this still in theaters or already out for rent?

DVD and rental available 17 Nov (or sooner if you have a friend who works at a DVD rental store).

Even though I have the DVD on pre-order and will recieve it tomorrow I had the opportunity to watch it this weekend and did not pass it up.

·
Registered
6,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss /forum/post/17545334

DVD and rental available 17 Nov (or sooner if you have a friend who works at a DVD rental store).

Even though I have the DVD on pre-order and will recieve it tomorrow I had the opportunity to watch it this weekend and did not pass it up.

Added to queue, thanks for the heads up! I really had wanted to see this one in theaters but never made it.

·
Banned
34,841 Posts
It's funny this thread has popped up; I was thinking about this film today.

I know the DVD will be released Tuesday, but I believe a BD is coming.

I am debating whether to wait for it...

I am a big vamp fan.

·
Registered
6,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I finally got around to seeing this over the weekend. Not a bad movie but I was expecting more. I felt it started falling apart in the third act and ended up being just a bit to predictable and cliche to deliver on the originality it started out with. Worth seeing still but I'm glad I didn't buy it.

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
I enjoyed it last night. Tough to nail down what the overall emotional tone was for this one. Wasn't horrifying, scary or dark. In fact many times I felt it was almost comedic. I felt the love affair gone wrong was pretty entertaining to watch. As always when I watch an Asian film, there are cultural aspects that are unclear to my eyes, but make sense in the context of the film, charming me with their differences to Western film making. There were a couple of times I felt the story jumped off the rails,
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) I never got a clear idea why the priest volunteered for the EV treatment...some sort of martyrdom complex? Then the group of campers that seemed to be his groupies showed up a couple of times for no apparent reason.
, but I was engaged and interested from start to finish. I thought the acting was excellent...especially liked the young wife's portrayal...great range.

A very good rental.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
So I was forced to watch this on SD-DVD since no BD was available to rent. Didn't matter because it was a terrifically insane flick. Like all of Park's films, it's nuts, goes of into left field more than once and is never boring. There were actually some erotic scenes in this, which is rare for Korean films, where on screen sex is taboo.

A great film, one I hope is not remade. Let it just get into development hell and stay there.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
As nutty as this will make me sound, I wanted to watch this as a companion piece to 'Let the Right One In', from the perspective that both are foreign language takes on the Vamp genre, and I was hoping it would bring a fresh perspective (perhaps from a cultural angle). As other posters have noted, it certainly brings its own style and there are aspects of Korean culture which were very interesting and enriching to the story line.

Nonetheless, I was a little disappointed with this one. The story telling seemed a bit disjointed (which might be attributable to the subtitles) and I guess I was hoping for the tone to be somewhat darker than what was shown. I would still recommend this to anyone interested in the genre, but perhaps as a rental first to make sure it fits your needs.

·
Registered
8,712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph /forum/post/17672129

As nutty as this will make me sound, I wanted to watch this as a companion piece to 'Let the Right One In', from the perspective that both are foreign language takes on the Vamp genre, and I was hoping it would bring a fresh perspective (perhaps from a cultural angle). As other posters have noted, it certainly brings its own style and there are aspects of Korean culture which were very interesting and enriching to the story line.

Nonetheless, I was a little disappointed with this one. The story telling seemed a bit disjointed (which might be attributable to the subtitles) and I guess I was hoping for the tone to be somewhat darker than what was shown. I would still recommend this to anyone interested in the genre, but perhaps as a rental first to make sure it fits your needs.

There is some similarity to LTROI, there's a sort of love story
. I'm with Matt's description, Park gets out there with somewhere with his story/relationships and they don't always mesh, but it ain't boring. Some head scratching sure, but entertaining. I won't buy any of his films, but I've enjoyed renting them and I think they should be seen, especially if you're in the mood for something different.

·
Banned
34,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple /forum/post/17678384

There is some similarity to LTROI, there's a sort of love story
. I'm with Matt's description, Park gets out there with somewhere with his story/relationships and they don't always mesh, but it ain't boring. Some head scratching sure, but entertaining.

Sounds very much like his Vengeance Trilogy.

Difficult to get thru and hard to walk away from too.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Like most of the "love" stories in his trilogy, this one is twisted as well, not your daughter's Twilight for sure. The middle is sort of dragging a bit, it's 133 minutes long. Some sections/parts I did not find coherent in my 1st viewing. Some of the horrific scenes made Drag Me to Hell like child play, which is more comedic and a lot lighter to digest.

Mrs. Ra, the mother, was amazing in her way of communicating.

I don't know Korean, so can't say how well the subtitle translated.

The ending, as always, is memorable and not to be missed. One of his next movies is called Axe.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Has this been released on BD?

·
Registered
3,130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi /forum/post/17627527

I finally got around to seeing this over the weekend. Not a bad movie but I was expecting more. I felt it started falling apart in the third act and ended up being just a bit to predictable and cliche to deliver on the originality it started out with. Worth seeing still but I'm glad I didn't buy it.

So the plot didnt hold up, huh? I havent seen it, sounds like it might be worth a look, but not sure. Are there good special effects? Is it gorey enough for a gore-hound?

Check your PM's by the way.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts