AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a sleeper I rented a week ago, and it's a wonderful surprise. Ignore the writeup on the back cover of the dvd. The 13 scenes are not related by an automobile accident. Instead, the players in the film are interconnected directly or indirectly by LIFE. That's the "one thing" they are referring to in the title. Each scene is preceded by a title, something that appears to be a platitude, like:

Show Me a Happy Man

Ignorance is Bliss

But the screenwriting is natural and insightful, and thus the conversations between the characters are anything but cliche. This movie covers many bases, including mistakes in life, adultery, fortune, the vagaries of corporate life, guilt, friendship, pessimism, optimism, etc. The cast is just super, including Matthew McConaughey, Clea Duvall, Alan Arkin, John Turturro, and many other talents you will appreciate. Masterful and unforced ensemble acting, and character interaction. This is Jill Sprecher's 2nd film as a director (Clockwatchers was the first). She co-wrote it with her sister, Karen Sprecher. Both have given us an intelligent film you can re-watch several times, each instance brings new wisdom. If you like the films of Mark and Michael Polish, you'll like the work of the Sprecher sisters. Thematically, Robert Altman's great film, Gosford Park, and the lesser film by Mike Figgis, Timecode, also come to mind. This is a film that Sidewalks of New York attempted to be, but failed sadly at.

Every now and then, it is a delight to watch a well-written drama, in addition to my usual mindless diet of action films (Die Another Day).

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
This one has been on my list for a long time. I might pick it up today. The other is a new one by the folks who did "Walking and Talking", which I reviewed last week. There are always a number of these smallish, quirky movies out there that you just never hear about. ANd these days they tend to get a decent enough DVD treatment that you don't feel like you are suffering too much to get good content.

·
Registered
799 Posts
This movie is the perfect example of why I went for swivel seating in the Peabody.

End credits rolled, seats swiveled around, and everyone started talking at once.

We ended up dividing into two camps: those that believed in fate, and us "smarter peoples" that believed in luck. Although, Jack Daniel's having made a splashing appearance, and some of the conversation incomprehensible, this film rated high with everyone.

Swivel seats or not, jdb

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
I rented it today, and I'll watch it tomorrow probably. I was going to tonight, but "Best of Show" had come up on my Netflix rental and I needed a laugh, and though I've seen it before I definitely had more than one.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Wow! This is a deep, beautifully made and acted piece of work. I love these synchronicity/deep connections type of films. I'm sure a lot of folks won't like it, because its very contemplative, and fairly heavy, but I thought it was great.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dean Roddey
I'm sure a lot of folks won't like it...
Sadly, I must agree with you here.

"Be it one of seven reasons, but not to exaggerate this films' importance: there are many sheep in men's clothing." -jdb

However, Socrates said it best with, "The unquestioned life is not worth living."

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
It's also nice that the director/writer team are women. It's nice to have more women working their way into this rarified job, in order to get some different view points.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.