AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm looking for the following all based on standard product and all supporting DLNA standards for DMS/DMR/DMP:

NAS - To support file sharing, bt client and act as a DMS. I currently have a ICYBOX 4220-B which is fine for file sharing and bt but with mixed reviews as a DMS using Twonky.

Blue-Ray DMR/DMP - Looks like there are some interesting Blu-ray players on the market which will act as DMR/P and support stuff like BBC iPlayer

Audio DMR/DMP - I'd like to find a nice inexpensive

This seems to be a bit of a pipe dream at the moment as a lot of the products don't seem to have plug and play support for these DLNA standards at the moment. Should I sit back and wait for a while and see how the standards evolve or do you guys have products that fulfil all these criteria and don't cost the earth?

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
I have found that a 2 box solution works the best:

Box 1: Media Server - Windows 7 pc with a rocketraid 2314 adapter and up to 2 sans digital 8 bay drive cabinets. This will be your storage server as well as do your media ripping, metadata creation, and being your gateway to internet connected media

Box 2: A Dune streamer - This will connect to your TV and your audio system to play the data from box 1. You can have as many of these as you have displays and audio players. You can also get a Dune streamer with a physical blu-ray drive built in to quickly allow play of physical or rental media

I have built hundreds of these solutions for clients and have a long list of satisfied people.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
like mlknez said, it is no dream... it is doable today...

unlike mlknez, I went with SageTV and their extenders over dune because I like the idea of being able to do live/recorded TV(PVR) along with movies/etc...

and the pause TV in one room, and pick up where you left off in another room is cool too...

add MyMovies for some real metadata (not some cheesey 'scraped' data) and everything is just wonderful... (works with either dune or sage)

live the dream...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any major changes in the solutions available to this problem since I originally posted this thread?

I've held off buying anything else at the moment as the industry seems to be moving forwards at a ridiculous rate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts