AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was going to purchase an X1 or some sort of projector to use for Xbox, DVDs, and computer gaming but a friend of mine is going to give me a good deal on his 2yr old television.

He uses it 3-4 hours a day, and seeing he's had it for 2 years that's a good 2500 hours it has on it. It's a Hitachi 53UWX10B. Said he'd sell it to me for $450. It's in immaculate condition. Only thing I'm worried about is it being that old and used that much if it has a problem soon I'll be in trouble. I can get a BRAND NEW Hitachi 51F500 where I work for $1300 with tax.

What do you guys think? I'll probably be doing 70% Xbox, 20% DVDs, and 10% computer gaming.

Any and all input is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Make sure you can take a look at it first, if you haven't already. Also make sure you have a good plan for transporting it to your house. These things are heavy, awkward, and sensitive.

Otherwise it sounds like a good deal to me. Even with 2500 hours usage, it should still have a lot of life left in it. If this 53UWX10B can tide you over for even 2-3 years, then at that point your money will go a lot further. $450 is a pretty low entry price to HDTV.

uecweb is selling refurbished 53UWX10B sets for $1199; that's way too high IMHO but it gives you a point of reference for the deal you are getting.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I have had the 53uwx for 2 years as well. I was very close to getting the 60v500 this past weekend but I ultimately felt it wasn't worth the money. Even after a couple of years I am still extremely pleased with the picture quality of this set. And with HD cable now, I'm even more impressed.

My point, for that price I think you are getting one hell of a deal. And by the way, if I pulled the trigger on the new tv, I had mine going to a friend for $750.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.