AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an awful buzzing problem with my current PC audio setup that i really need addressing.

My setup is as follows:

-desktop PC (no battery, on AC)
-USB direct from built in USB3.0 port on PC to Peavey USB-P DAC
-Dual XLR direct from DAC into A.R.T DTI transformer/isolator
-Stereo RCA from A.R.T into Numark CM100 mixer
-Stereo RCA from mixer into active sub/tweeters.

Basically i use the mixer for global volume control and i have to have it set really low so that the hum and buzz is barely audible, but i don't really want this compromise, i want it to be silent at full gain like it should be. Annoyingly a check of Peavey's site just gave me a load of advertising pointing out how this product was designed to do literally the one thing it is failing to do for me. Anyone got any ideas ?

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have an awful buzzing problem with my current PC audio setup that i really need addressing.

My setup is as follows:

-desktop PC (no battery, on AC)
-USB direct from built in USB3.0 port on PC to Peavey USB-P DAC
-Dual XLR direct from DAC into A.R.T DTI transformer/isolator
-Stereo RCA from A.R.T into Numark CM100 mixer
-Stereo RCA from mixer into active sub/tweeters.

Basically i use the mixer for global volume control and i have to have it set really low so that the hum and buzz is barely audible, but i don't really want this compromise, i want it to be silent at full gain like it should be. Annoyingly a check of Peavey's site just gave me a load of advertising pointing out how this product was designed to do literally the one thing it is failing to do for me. Anyone got any ideas ?
you have to go step by step. somewhere along the chain you have a ground problem.

since you have active speakers, i'd start by connecting them to the (lower the volume!) DAC at first. is there hum? if so chances are the speakers and the DAC are mismatched. then i'd add the other components, one by one, and check when the hum begins. solving the issue may require you to get a good power brick and connect all components to the same outlet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you have to go step by step. somewhere along the chain you have a ground problem.

since you have active speakers, i'd start by connecting them to the (lower the volume!) DAC at first. is there hum? if so chances are the speakers and the DAC are mismatched. then i'd add the other components, one by one, and check when the hum begins. solving the issue may require you to get a good power brick and connect all components to the same outlet.
Hey thanks for the reply

Turning the speakers themselves down (and the mixer up) has lowered the buzz considerably, I honestly just always presumed when using a mixer that you have the speakers on full whack (always was more of a video guy). But there is definitely still a grounding issue, i noticed when fiddling around that the buzzing almost drops to nothing when i have my hand gripped right around the metal chassis of the ART DTI and touching both it's RCA ports, could it be a ****ty ground circuit in my ART box ?

·
Registered
182 Posts
i'd also recommend plugging the speakers into different outlets, turn up the knob, and check if the noise level changes... if you get a lot of hum there's an issue with the active speakers or your power outlets... in that case, a moderately decent power cleaning box may help...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts