AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, My wife and I have just returned from a day trip south of the border to Burlington and Bellingham, Washington. We live in Vancouver and make the trip several times a year to stock up on all of the neat items that we don't have available in Canada.

When I stopped into the Best Buy in Burlington, WA, I was rather impressed to see the HD A2 playing "Batman Begins" in the stores feature home theater! The sound was cranked, people were gathering in amazement, it was freakin' awesome! What a showing for HD DVD!
Then I checked out the HD DVDs. I was really hoping to snag "Lucky # Slevin", "The Matador" and "Wolf Creek" (as the Weinstein HD DVD titles are not currently available in the Canadian market). Unfortunately I only ended up with "Slevin" as the other titles were sold out.

All in all, I was quite impressed with the set-up they had to show off HD DVD, while Sony's Blu-ray player layed on a dusty shelf, unplugged with a security device wrapped tightly around the unit....

-Murray

·
Registered
6 Posts
Haha, good to hear. I work at the Bellingham store and was the reason that HD DVD is running on our demo. I will say that sony has paid some good money for the displays they have setup but King Kong looks and sounds great on our demo. Our selection on HD DVDs is decent and we get some of the new releases but theres a couple I wish I could get my hands on. Anyways just thought I'd post after hearing about my store.

·
Registered
548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Togroovy /forum/post/0

Haha, good to hear. I work at the Bellingham store and was the reason that HD DVD is running on our demo. I will say that sony has paid some good money for the displays they have setup but King Kong looks and sounds great on our demo. Our selection on HD DVDs is decent and we get some of the new releases but theres a couple I wish I could get my hands on. Anyways just thought I'd post after hearing about my store.

I was just there today, the Sony demo is just huge while the HD DVD demo gets dwarfed. I have to say the movie selection today has grown. I picked up Superman and Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut today
. I should go back and pickup Lucky Number Slevin eventually.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I was just down there, too. I am not sure what town it was, but it was one was near a Home Depot and right beside Old Navy, right off the I-5. I didn't see any HD DVD player in the store at all (this was 2.5 weeks ago) and all the HD DVD's were priced higher than up here.

I am going back in a month, I'll check it out again.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Argh.... up here in Canada our Best Buys have terrible selection, well terrible in comparison to what I KNOW IS OUT ALREADY, we get a lot of titles well after the Americans do, in the same damn store!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider33 /forum/post/0

I was just down there, too. I am not sure what town it was, but it was one was near a Home Depot and right beside Old Navy, right off the I-5. I didn't see any HD DVD player in the store at all (this was 2.5 weeks ago) and all the HD DVD's were priced higher than up here.

I am going back in a month, I'll check it out again.

That was the Burlington store. This weekend they had two HD A2's priced at $449.99. "Luck # Slevin" was around $24.99, not too bad considering I would have had to have it shipped from the US anyways.

-Murray

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:

That's hilarious! What a small world!

-Murray

·
Registered
262 Posts

Quote:

Excellent work. Nice to see format parity. I was in the store on Saturday to pick up a PSe remote; Not even available in Canada. I also picked up the Mummy Returns. Your selection of movies is vastly superior to the BB in Langley and if the border crossing is not busy I can get to the Belligngham store faster than driving to downtown Vancouver.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.