AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

Quick Q:

I have an opportunity to purchase some Energy speakers used, which I am going to audition tomorrow from two different people:

One gentleman is selling his ENERGY 5.1 E Towers, as well as his AC-300 Center channel. He hasn't mentioned a price on the 5.1 E towers, but said I'd be "extremely pleased" with the price, since he needs the space in his home. The AC-300 he previously had listed for $199, though I don't know if he's staying with that price.

The other speakers are a set of C-300's, which a gentleman will sell to me for $160 (cherry finish).

Are either of these deals worthwhile, and if I was to purchase all the speakers, would they match up for the most part in a surround setting?

I know the 5.1 E are an old model, but used to be very highly priced. Are they still considered high-quality speakers?

Also, and sorry if this is a silly question: how long to speakers typically "last"? Are "old" 5.1 E's going to "die" on me, or will they be in service for many more years (assuming they were treated well)?

I'm supposed to audition all the above mentioned speakers today, so any feedback you can give...would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: As far as what I'm looking for...I'm looking for speakers that will please me & last me a good, long while. These would be much more cost efficient (if a good deal?), but if I don't go this route, I may very well be looking at dropping a large sum of money on purchasing a Rocket system...though this would cost 2-3x what the Energy speakers would.

"What would you do?"

John

· The Village Idiot
9,884 Posts
The typical life of a modern day speaker is much more than that of the old ones with the foam rubber surround. Newer surrounds are generally made from silicone - which will last much longer than the old style foam. As for the life of other components it really comes down to how they were used. Most speakers that die prematurely do so from being driven hard with less than ideal amounts of power - those driven with lots of power seem to have less problems.

· Registered
3,637 Posts
Speakers can last a VERY long time if they are taken care of. Given proper amplification speakers can last 20 years no problem.

· Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much for the input & feedback...it eased my purchase anxiety, knowing that quality-made speakers should last a good while.

So as an update, I ended up purchasing a pair of Energy 5.1e's, as well an AC-300 center channel. The gentleman who sold them to me was quite nice, and sold me the 5.1e's for a meager $150, as his, "...wife is nagging [him] to free up some space!"

The AC-300 speaker wasn't as urgent a "sale", so I got that one for $175.

Overall, I think I made out pretty darn good though: some very nice speakers for a relatively small purchase price of $325 total -- he even threw in some nice Cerwin-Vega speaker stands as well, so that the 5.1e speakers are ear-level.

Now I'm in a position where I'm trying to fill in the "gap" for the surrounds. There is a pair of Energy Audissey A5+2 speakers for sale locally for $350, which from what I've read should match the AC-300 center channel perfectly. I haven't heard back from the seller yet, but does $350 sound a good price for them? They retailed for $1,600 when they were first put out, but that was a while back (in comparison, the 5.1e's I just got were $1400...and I got them for $125! Though I don't expect anything like THAT to happen again...).

Since the A5+2 have subs built-in, but is the model that doesn't have amplification built in, I'd likely also need to purchase an amp (I'm guessing), since I don't think regular receiver speaker wattage would power that many drivers? (well, at least without decent performance?)

Your help has been crucial, and I'd appreciate your input on the rest! I'm hoping that, if I get the A5+2's, I can hold out on a crazy-level sub until I'm in a house; getting a big sub in a 4 story apartment building would, well...not likely be smart.

Thanks...look forward to hearing your thoughts!

John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.