Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ugh.

Here I was set on getting the Samsung HLR5067W. I decide to look online a little bit before I do it and I start to become horrified, especially with what I have read here.

I am used to just getting a TV, plugging stuff in, and having it work.

Now I read I need to get fancy signal delay boxes, go into secret configuration menus to hack the system, worry about lag when I play my Playstation..

Are these TVs not meant for causal people who just want to sit down and watch a DVD or tune in to some cable from a cable box? Will I really need to go out and buy receivers that will slow down my audio signals just to make it so I can watch a movie?

The TV would fit perfectly in my condo, be flush against the wall and look totally awesome in the room I want to put it in, but do I need to be scared that getting a DLP tv will cause more problems then it’s worth and be stuck with complaints that I can’t even watch HBO with out needing to adjust the audio to the video? What happened to just having at TV that works?

(I’m new here, I know, but I was in such shock after reading the threads that I had to ask. My whole buying decisions have been thrown for a total loop now. Should I just screw this whole DLP idea and stick with an old fashioned CRT big tube wide screen HDTV?)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I was all set to start shopping for a new DLP Samsung tv and not I don't want to even touch them due to all the complaints about audio synch problems and video game lag.

Don't know of any other DLP tv makers that would be worth trying.

I started looking into LCD Projection now but I know I'll be giving up a little in black level and contrast levels.

I guess what I learned so far is that there is no perfect technology yet.

·
Registered
15,822 Posts
Don't let the threads here scare you off. Unfortunately, most people here are pretty critical, and mainly problems are posted rather than happy stories.

In terms of DLP vs. LCD, neither is better than the other. It just comes down to personal preferences. There is no perfect technology. Some prefer DLP and some prefer LCD. Some people see rainbows with DLPs, and some see screen door effects and motion blur with LCDs. DLPs also have better black levels than LCDs, while LCDs have better colors. So, it's more a matter of choosing what looks best to you.

Regarding lip sync issues, the Samsungs are not a problem with HD broadcasts or movies. They are a problem for some with video games (especially at 480i). So, if you plan on playing a lot of games on it, Samsung DLP may not be for you, but if you mainly watch HDTV and movies, Samsung DLPs are excellent (mine has worked perfectly for 2 years now, and I couldn't be happier).

·
Registered
435 Posts
I know how you two feel...

I've gone back and form between all types of HDTV and it seems like there is no end in sight. I was close to making a choice on a rear projection CRT HDTV but now I think I can't connect my soon to be built HTPC via a DVI to Component adapter (using a nVidia 6800) so I might be back to square 1.

This transition from SDTV to HDTV has become such a PAIN in the BUTT...nothing clear it seems and alot of our newbie questions get ignored here.

BUT...with time this site has helped me alot so just be patient and we will get answers and find our way...HOPEFULLY!

In the same battle....good luck you two!

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
If you buy locally with a return policy your fine.

Those are real issues, but "casual buyers" tend to be casual watchers and dont notice the issues like here where they are under a microscope.

Take a look Panasonic's DLP, last years is heavily discounted and the new one has a real nice slim case. They use the HD2+ chip and have an exceptional picture, and wider viewing angle than some Samsungs.

Worth a look, but I stress get a real return policy.

You may just find when you get it home you enjoy watching it more than reading complaints on here ;)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP
Regarding lip sync issues, the Samsungs are not a problem with HD broadcasts or movies. They are a problem for some with video games (especially at 480i). So, if you plan on playing a lot of games on it, Samsung DLP may not be for you
I plan on mostly watching movies but I am a big gamer so I always thought I'd be able to hook up a game system to a console as well. I use a PS2 but hook it up via component cables. Will all the problems still be around when doing that? Are the game delays really that bad or is it more of a personal issue thing?

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Quote:
This transition from SDTV to HDTV has become such a PAIN in the BUTT...nothing clear it seems and alot of our newbie questions get ignored here.
I do not agree with this statement - it isn't anymore difficult to get an HD broadcast than it is for SD - The Source does the work with both.

I agree totally with BILLP statements earlier. Plus . . .

There is absolutely nothing painful about getting HD - you hook up an HD STB or cable card or Sat to component cables or HDMI and whalla you have HD that becomes an experience - SD is a non-experience=Garbage. HD= 500% PQ improvement. The only pain is in reading the nitpicking on these threads.

Connect the right cables to a good source and you've got an awesome experience. It's the tweaking that people go through that makes it a pain. In ten minutes you can have an awesome viewing experience and let's face it - in your home you won't have 6 TV's to compare and as long as the TV isn't defective HD will blow your socks off on any of them.

If you find it overwhelming then simplify and pick what you like at your price target with a good return policy in case you have issues. Use the threads if you choose to tweak audio and such but don't let all this nitpicking deprive you of what HD can provide - Setting up a big CRT is no easier than a DLP or LCD/LCOS. My 32" widescreen Sharp FP blows away my old Sony CRT and my Samsung 6768 will take it a step further. That TV was 237 lbs and wasn't 16:9 or HD. Don't let the chatter get in your way - pick a set and take it home to enjoy without anyone here prejudging your experience or what's better for you. Many times that happens here - simplify to enjoy if you need and then if you choose to refine sound system or other factors then take it a step at a time.

Wish you the best of viewing - HD is simpler than you realize. :D

·
Registered
435 Posts
I agree...let me correct my statement...

It's not really HD's fault.

What I mean is...finding a HDTV that wont bleed me of money every few years for a lamp or that will be easy to hook up my HTPC to is what is becomming a pain for me.

LCD's make it easy...but their price brings me back to earth. DLP's, Plasma's, and LCD Projection TV's have their annoyances (my personal thoughts)...but now even the CRT based rear projection that I really wanted to buy seems not to be working for me either on the HTPC side of things.

For the love of GOD...I just want to connect the HTPC to it without spending huge amounts of money. GOD knows I'm not asking for much...lol...lol

Thanks for listening...END RANT!

·
Registered
16,691 Posts
Wait until you hook your computer and HD satellite dish up and go to record a program............. ;)

·
Registered
307 Posts
I was in your shoes a couple months ago. I had done months of research. I originally started looking at TV's because of the Sony RPLCD and of course its DVD companion Finding Nemo (seems this movie is always being played to show off the colors!) I read and read for several months and started leaning toward the Sammy but the more I read...the more the complaints started to stand out! I am a big gamer also and do so through XBOX Live w, team compete and gamebattles so lag was really going to be an issue for me. But....if it was bad I would game on my regular tv. So I went to buy the Sammy (5067) they had and open box special on a 60 Sony...and that is what I brought home. Fact is....unless you are very critical of blacks levels, contrast, etc. you will have no need to go into the service menu etc. I am convinced that no matter what TV I bought I would have been happy. Each has its own quirks but doesnt everything (cars,homes,appliances) pick one you like and get it. Good to research but bad to research to much!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Yeah, somtimes I think I research TOO much...but I'm just so in love with the "bang for the buck" thing and at the same time so scared to make the wrong choice.

I think, I can live with buying the VGA to Component adapter or telling my cable company not to use the DVI slot...but we shall see.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordJezo
I plan on mostly watching movies but I am a big gamer so I always thought I'd be able to hook up a game system to a console as well. I use a PS2 but hook it up via component cables. Will all the problems still be around when doing that? Are the game delays really that bad or is it more of a personal issue thing?
I get no videogame lag whatsover on my Samsung HLR5087w. Maybe these Pedestal Samsungs don't have this issue...

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just wanted to chime something in real quick.

Most peopl ethat prob. post on this board (and all other boards, no matte rwhat they are: video games, ipods, etc) they usually post problems you have. I mean, how many times have you went to a messege board and posted how awesome something is? I havent. I only go to messege boards when I have a problem and am looking for help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.