AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background

My birthday is coming up and the wife has presented a very interesting present. I can choose out of the following 3 items.

We don't make very much money (together probably under 60k combined) so this is probably it for a long while (a year or two)

My focus is to get the best SOUNDING home theater. that is what is important to me. I also would like to start listening to SACD's But I am on a budget and here is my current setup

Setup

AVR - Denon 591

Speakers - Jamo C-603 fronts and Jamo C60 center and Jamo e-700 backs

Bluray - PS3 fat

Proposal.

I can choose ONE option.

A) Yamaha S1800 dvd/sacd player & Marantz SR6005 AVR ($700 total)

B) Oppo Bdp-93 ($500 total)

C) 1 pair Jamo C607 towers for 7.1 setup ($780 total)

Which would you choose if your focus was on best sounding movies and to dable in SACD?

A -

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I would probably go with the Oppo. Your receiver is a decent receiver and 7.1 is not going to get you a lot IMO. The Oppo is a solid piece of equipment that should last you for some time. Save your money and keep an eye on audiogon for used, quality equipment, whether it be amps, pre/pros, receivers or speakers. Just my 2 cents. Would a sub be a possibility? Maybe a nice Rythmik or some other ID sub.

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh my fault. I actually have a decent sub....BIC America F-12.

I guess the reason I was considering the tower speakers was not so much for 7.1 but because I am not that impressed with the 603 up front and e700 in back. I would love to have towers up front (c603's are bookshelf) and move the 603's to back.

Just not sure what would have the biggest impact NOW as this is probably my only upgrade for maybe 2 years.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Out of curiosity, why the DVD-S1800? I'm fairly sure that's a discontinued model on Yamaha's side; I know their new Blu-ray players will do SACD/DVD-Audio (the BD-A models do this, the BD-S models do not though). There's also some Sony and Oppo models that will fit that bill.

Would it be unrealistic to get a different receiver and source component? Say, the RX-A700 and BD-A1000 (or the Oppo BDP-93, or whatever). You gain multi-channel analog inputs, and can add power amplifiers later (if you wanted to, for whatever reason).

If the goal was just to play around with SACDs, that's probably your only option (a new receiver to mate with the new player, if you want multi-channel; if you only want stereo, you can keep your existing receiver). For sound quality with movies, speakers or amplification would probably make a difference; how much is hard to say. A new player machine and/or a new receiver (ignoring the amplifier side of things) probably would not.

I like the new receiver route, at least based on the reasoning that you're likely to upgrade/change things over time (you'll have the same issue with the Oppo as you would with that Pioneer, it will just cost you more to have).

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm kind of in the same boat as OP. I have a budget system and want to upgrade ONE component.

Which one component makes the biggest difference in quality regarding soundstage, warmness, and overall presence?

Speakers? (not counting sub)

Source player? (oppo or ps3)

Amplification? (receiver)

·
Registered
1,785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tafoyavision /forum/post/20829485

I'm kind of in the same boat as OP. I have a budget system and want to upgrade ONE component.

Which one component makes the biggest difference in quality regarding soundstage, warmness, and overall presence?

Speakers? (not counting sub)

Source player? (oppo or ps3)

Amplification? (receiver)

Speakers will make the biggest overall difference. You're unlikely to notice differences from changing a source component or receiver, unless it brings something "new" to the table (EQ, room adjustment, etc).

·
Registered
29,311 Posts

Quote:

Speakers.

You might want to list what equipment you have in order for us to get a better idea of the weak link in your current system.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.