AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I need to update! I've had nothing but problems with this thing. Around the 3rd day it started to act up. I would be enjoying some music, and without me doing anything, this sucker just reboots(sometimes 4 in a row).


I'm on my 2nd one and it's starting to act wierd. I've given up on this little guy and bought an Apple TV. It was twice the cost but is many times better.

Live and learn, tou get what you pay for.




I'm speaking of the WD TV, I cant speak for the video side of things but the Audio via the digital out is fantastic. Nothing can touch it for anywhere near $100. A true audiophile steal!


I did not see this part of the forum when I posted this post yesterday;


Ok all, I'm trying to share my latest finding with you all. As some of you may know, I've been looking for a hi quality dock for my Ipod classic. I've got about 183 GB of Aiff files on it, basically every CD I own from the first one I bought back in 1986. I tried a bunch of docks and they all lacked in some way. The HomeDock HD was the best one, but I had issues with near $200. into a simple dock! This morning I got up with one thing in mind, go out and buy a AppleTV, I know it's two years old and really made to sell music/movies, but I wanted to play my pure audio via a pure digital route. I was in luck! The store was out of stock!! No AppleTv's, but the sales guy said, Why not try this one instead? He handed me a Western Digital WD TV. I'm like, what is it? and will it play AIFF files? He replied yes it will and also about any other file you throw at it! I asked, digital out? he said, Yes! HDMI or Optical. I said what are it's short comings? he said, No built in HD and no networking. I paused... And thought... Do I really need it to network? NO. So I slapped down 100 donuts and took it home! Plugged it into the 705, put an album on a jump drive and WOW! HighEnd sound from my lowFi system.


I'm just running HDMI and this thing could not be any more easy and sound any better! Try one, You'll LOVE IT!!!


http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=572


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
very cool....if they add WMA lossless file support , I'm on board too...I like the idea of keeping the digital signal as high as humanly possible short of a bit for bit copy of a CD ala a .wav file as they apparently can't contain the metadata is it called?...(cd cover, info,etc)..., before it hits the DAC, which I'm also shopping for, since my old receiver doesn't convert to analog...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitz /forum/post/16951605


very cool....if they add WMA lossless file support , I'm on board too...I like the idea of keeping the digital signal as high as humanly possible short of a bit for bit copy of a CD ala a .wav file as they apparently can't contain the metadata is it called?...(cd cover, info,etc)..., before it hits the DAC, which I'm also shopping for, since my old receiver doesn't convert to analog...

I'm under the impression that AIFF is the purest form of digital audio?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike /forum/post/16952110


I don't see any reason that all forms of lossless, WMA, Flac, Aiff, or Wav, shouldn't sound the same. They should all be able to reproduce identical waveforms.


you know, your probably right...I only know what little I read off the net,etc....for me, it's more of an issue with the fact that all my stuff is already WMA lossless which works with no additional codecs in windows media center, so it's a convenience and comfort level thing with me....I seem to remember some web sites years ago that compared the different compresson formats....all I really remember getting out of it was even though they tell you something is lossless, it really isn't, unless it's a bit for bit transfer...now, whether anyone can tell the difference, or more accurately whether anyone can hear the difference AND has the equipment to allow that subtle of any potential differences to be heard is another matter...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,952 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitz /forum/post/16952446


you know, your probably right...I only know what little I read off the net,etc....for me, it's more of an issue with the fact that all my stuff is already WMA lossless which works with no additional codecs in windows media center, so it's a convenience and comfort level thing with me....I seem to remember some web sites years ago that compared the different compresson formats....all I really remember getting out of it was even though they tell you something is lossless, it really isn't, unless it's a bit for bit transfer...now, whether anyone can tell the difference, or more accurately whether anyone can hear the difference AND has the equipment to allow that subtle of any potential differences to be heard is another matter...

The ultimate test for lossless is if you start with a Wav file, go to lossless compression, then go back to Wav. The final Wav file should be a bit for bit duplicate of the original or else the format is not truly lossless.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike /forum/post/16953048


The ultimate test for lossless is if you start with a Wav file, go to lossless compression, then go back to Wav. The final Wav file should be a bit for bit duplicate of the original or else the format is not truly lossless.

True. I've run the test for WMA and FLAC and they are identical when converted back to WAV. Don't know about AIFF but would assume it to be the same if it's lossless. I think the only drawback to WAV is in the metadata area and of course file size but hard drives are cheap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by deon /forum/post/16952738


Hi Guitz, You might want to look at a "DAC MAGIC" by Cambridge Audio. I've had it for abouty 5 months and it sounds fantastic with my WDTV.


P.S. I'm using FLAC files.

I've got the DAC in my AVR. What type of HD and Files are you using?


I ask because sometimes I'm hearing a digital noise/pop in between tracks.


I could be the way I place them on the drive? I'm still looking into it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
793 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitz /forum/post/16952446


for me, it's more of an issue with the fact that all my stuff is already WMA lossless which works with no additional codecs in windows media center, so it's a convenience and comfort level thing with me

Unfortunately, it is very unsafe to assume that anything Microsoft would be playable universally, so it's same with WMA lossless...I myself would never have dared to encode to WMA and be shackled to MS playback solutions like WMC...but that's just my 5 cents...
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top