AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to do a focus adjustment a different way last night by using the Nokia test pattern program on my htpc. I ran the desktop at 640*480 and put up the resolution pattern which draws 480 horizontal lines.

This easily allowed me to see the points at which the focus made the lines clear or overlapping due to focus problems. I was used to messing with the internal projector pattern which does not allow my eyes to discern the fine focus. Anyhow with the remote I touched up the center and the top, bottom , right and left focus for each color independently by turning the other 2 guns off and adjusting till the horizontal lines were clearest.

I then saved to the 480p memory location on the pj and wrote down the values. I changed the desktop resolution to 720p and used the values I wrote down. I found I was fine tuning a little more because the extra lines made it easier to see slight 3 or 4 click over/underfocus. I went back to 480p and changed those values accordingly and saved again.

I then ran the desktop at 1080i and used the 720p focus values for each color and I saw scan lines clearly, all 1080 of them. I saved to memory and switched over to my hdtv memory location and entered the focus values there.

In the end I watched the pj till 2am because it looks so better now. I am very happy and how come I didn't think of this focus method before. It really improved the sharpness of the picture.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Well, you have a great projector to start with. Also, many threads here will tell you not to use the internal patterns for fine tuning anyway. I also use the same method, and get clearly better results.

Congrats. Now get some sleep.... lol

Marc

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.