AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 292 Posts

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
one example of a listening room... well, there was supposed to be a pic attached, but it didn't make it somehow.

update: check my gallery... I think the pic made it to the database.

·
Premium Member
12,263 Posts
What are the three dark/black squares behind and to the inside of each speaker?

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
The photo doesn't really portray the size of the speakers well. You need to stand next to them for scale.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i'll post some more pics showing rest of room.. when you see me next to the speaker remember that I am 6'4".... and yes those black squares are semi-hemi diffusers. in other parts of the rooms I have randomizing diffusers. They are all mounted in custom built mahogany frames.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's a custom stand we made to move the WP7 imaging higher. It's two boxes really. A inner box with dry sand and then another tight fitting one to sleeve over and down on top of the inner box. Then we sprayed it black with lacquer... not nearly as nice as Wilson finish though.

Pics coming tonite.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Another couple of questions. Do you have any problems with excess bass from having the WP so close to the front wall? How close is it, exactly? Are you using an 80 hz crossover? Is the crossover high enough to avoid any excess port noise from having the speaker so close to the wall?

And more pictures, please!

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't seem to have problems with the WP7 so close to the front wall... I was worried bout it and tried to move the stand away from the wall as far as it could go before getting too close to the microperf screen. Tradeoff time.

Don't understand the nature of the second question, sorry.

Pic's coming.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
pics are up... knock yourself out.

·
Registered
945 Posts
The second question was just a more specific version of the first question, I guess. I'll try and explain.

It's general knowledge that putting a speaker close to the wall increases bass response. What I've noticed is that if you put a rear-ported speaker too close to the wall, the frequency that the port is tuned to gets exagerated even more than the rest of the bass.

Since the port on the watt/puppy is tuned to such a low frequency, it would seem to me that the speaker would never reach that frequency if you were using an 80 Hz crossover. I just wanted to know if you had noticed that one particular tone was more defined than others because of the port.

And then again, maybe I have no idea what I'm tlaking about... :(

Great looking room, though.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
milkman, there is no observable issue with bass boominess from the center channel. I have played full range multi channel music through the center, and again, there is no seeming bass issue.

The room looks better than the pics show... it doesn't seem to reduce well to 2D.

·
Registered
224 Posts
tzucc,

You've done it! You got a room there that I'd rather have over the Crotch Doc's! Sorry OBGYN, you'll win again once the X-2's come in. Overall, this room looks much better designed from jumpstreet. It's much more esthetically pleasing and appears to be concieved with sound in mind than Steve's. Man I wish my wife would let me buy those X-1's! I want to join the club. Anyhow, nicely done-now get a website so you can properly display the theater like he does. Oh yeah, the XS still takes the cake though but there's no way any room would ever make that travesty look good (that's my woofer envy talking now).

Regards,

Edward

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the XS is one upgrade I will likely make, although there is no good place for one. And the MKIV upgrade on the X-1's.

Thanks for the compliments. I worked very hard to pull the room together... I fab'd all the acoustics mounting systems, and that wasn't easy. I won't go into all the work, but it was many many late nights, with lots of help from my finish carpenter, and some wiring help from PMI...

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by goneten
An interesting room.(officially the shortest post from me ever!:D)

Regards
yes

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
Nice try FrantzM but the quote counts :)

1 - 20 of 292 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.