Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Gang

My computer packed-up the other day so I bought a new one. I installed a program called: ÔHome JukeboxÕ which is an older DOS program that controls my CD players, yes I said DOS! On the old computer it ran perfectly. One my new computer it too runs perfectly except for the fact that it does not save any of the preferences I set-up.

For instance, it requires a serial number and my name, which I type in and it accepts, I then tell it what CD players I have and it accepts that too. If I quit to the DOS prompt and start the program again from the DOS prompt it remembers my settings, but if I re-start, re-boot the computer it tells me I am running the program unregistered and it does not remember any of my settings, registration information.

All of my information is correct, it ran fine on the old computer.

The old computer was a 486, the new one is a Intel Celeron 300. The program does work on the new computer except for keeping my settings. I tried both copying the entire program from the old computer ( had it backed up to CD ) and re-installing from the original installation disk.

I looked at the file attributes to make sure that they are NOT read only. IÕm at a real loss here? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Glenn

·
Registered
9,692 Posts
Are you running DOS on the new computer?

What version of DOS?

Are you running DOS from windows?

Is there any websites with information regarding your program?

I would start with these. If you're not running DOS natively that could be your problem.

Good Luck,

Brian

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Brian

Yes, I am running DOS only on this machine. Unfortunately, it seems the support is no longer available.

Thanks, Glenn

·
Registered
9,692 Posts
Yikes!

I wish I could help but as good as I am with DOS, I'm not really all that good with it.

If you are using a old version of DOS maybe that's the problem. Or maybe it's too new a version of DOS.

What happened to the 486? Can you use the hard drive from that machine?

There must be a better forum to help you with this. I'm not trying to put a stop to anyone who may be able to help you here but DOS has little to do with HTPC except for this particular program you have. Sounds like a neat program. Maybe there is a newer version or a different software solution.

Try to look for DOS forums on the web perhaps.

I wish I could help more. Maybe let us know how it turns out.

Good Luck,

Brian

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I appreciate the input Brian. I'll have to dig a little deeper. It is DOS 6.22, same version as loaded on the 486.

Thank you, Glenn

·
Registered
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ghoniba
I appreciate the input Brian. I'll have to dig a little deeper. It is DOS 6.22, same version as loaded on the 486.

Thank you, Glenn
Some ideas:

1) This might be a reach, but some of the software written for DOS used a integer (whole number, no decimals) that had a range of -2GB thru +2GB. This was called LongInt in Pascal.

If this software attempts to determine the size of the logical partition and the size is above 2GB, it will "roll over" to a negative number. So, a 3GB partion would return -1Gb as available space... so to speak. ;)

If on your 486 you had your software on a small partition, you should do the same on the new PC.

2) It may be as simple as setting your PATH variable for the DOS software. You may want to alternate between adding and removing the software's directory from that environment variable using the SET command.

3) A HUGE reach... but try running MEMMAKER since it does clean up a lot of the RAM issues in the old DOS 16bit code. I think the command MEM /a shows at the end what conventional memory is free and how the drivers are loaded (upper memory, etc). If you have some drivers taking up some room the software might be failing at some point. You may want to alternate loading DOS high and vice-versa.

4) Increase the number of file handles (although MEMMAKER will do that if I remember correctly). In your CONFIG.SYS, set FILES=40 and BUFFERS=40.

5) If you run the software's EXE in a batch file, you can tell if it exited without error (if the coders were smart) by addding on the line immediately following the EXE IF ERRORLEVEL 1 ECHO Software Errored Out!. If you get that text when you exit the program, then the software failed at some point which may include the logic that stoires your information.

6) If at all possible, try DOS 3.31. It was the most stable version although 6.22 was a real close 2nd. Make sure you are using true 6.22 and not the WIn95 version!

These are all guesses. Been awhile since I did DOS but at one point I was doing some crazy stuff. If none of these work, you may need to look at installing any DOS drivers that came with your hard drive if applicable. If you have any SCSI cards, you may need to do special memory modifications or drivers.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

***EDIT*** Make sure your BIOS is set for NON Plug And Play OS.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.