AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what's up guys....i am in need of a new mothernboard..i'm having so many problems with the via chipset i can't take it.i was using a azza pt-5vmd via mvp3 at motherboard and it has been nothing but headaches...sometimes it was nice, other times it was totally unstable...that's even using the latest via patches.anyhow this is what i have..also strictly for dvd playback only!!!!!!!!!!1no capture or anything extra!!!!!!

soundblaster live with hoontech adapter

ati radeon 7000/ve

scsi adapter 2940 w/ (2) 2.1 gig harddrives

creative cdr

these are the only components that i will run so i need to know what is a good choice for these items?ihave an amd k6-2 500mhz processor that i will use if necessary, but i need stability(wife factor) so i will go with a diiferent processor if necessary...hate to ask dumb question but do most motherboards come with a new processor?

thanks in advance for recommendations.

brickie

·
Registered
141 Posts
Unfortunately no one makes AT mainboards anymore. If you could get one, it would still most likely use the VIA MVP3 chipset. It sounds like you need to move up to an ATX case and get a new mainboard, a new CPU, and possibly RAM. So you can choose just getting a new DVD player or setting out to upgrade your whole PC.

CPU and board bundles often have a cheap board, so I would stay away from bundles myself. For a budget, I myself would recommend a low-end Athlon XP CPU, along with an Asus brand mainboard, such as the A7V133. If you want to say THW Via, you could get an nVIDIA nForce board, such as the A7N266-C, although you'd need to get new double-data-rate SDRAM for that. With the A7V133, which should be plenty solid, you can re-use your PC100 SDRAM.

Check out NewEgg.com, they're one of the best places to PC hardware online. I would go with one of the cases by Maxtop.

Or, go hunting around town for a new DVD player for ~$80-$100, but that may not be as fun.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.