AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a smallish room, measuring roughly 12' x 12'. After getting some advice around the boards here, I am definitely looking for some really good bookshelf speakers and a subwoofer. I just bought a 50" Pioneer Kuro PRO-111FD plasma for my bedroom, so I want speakers of like-quality to compliment it. I don't feel I need anything ultra-high end given my space limitations, but I'm not looking to get anything crappy either.

I have an idea about where I might want to go for the front three channels; let me know what y'all think: I'm considering Paradigm Studio 20s for the fronts and a Paradigm CC-590 for the center channel. As far as surrounds go, I see a lot of people seem to like the ADP-590s, but from what I've read on the pricing of those speakers, they cost about as much as the fronts. I don't know if I'd like to spend so much for the rears, so does anyone have any other suggestions for some good but lesser-priced surrounds? Or are the ADPs the best way to go given the fronts I'm considering?

The subwoofer is another thing I need to consider. I don't feel I need anything super powerful (like the SVS PB13 everyone around here seems to love so much) given the space of the room. Again, I want something of good quality and will pay a reasonable price for it, but I don't want overkill. Some of the lower end subwoofers from Elemental Design seem like a good quality sub for a good price. I'm not sure. What would be a good subwoofer to match the setup I'm considering?

I'm kind of just looking for advice as this point. Given my room measurements, am I going in the right direction given the products I'm considering? Is it overkill? Not enough? Are there any other brand recommendations? I was actually really considering the Polk LSi7s as well. How do most people rate those against the Studio 20s? I'll pretty much be using these speakers only for the purpose of watching Blu-ray movies and TV. I'll be hooking them into an Onkyo TX-SR605 receiver. Speaking of which, would an amp be recommended with the speakers I'm leaning towards or will the AVR alone be able to power the speakers sufficiently? Anyway, I'd love some advice to help me fill in the gaps in my thought process. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Three identical front speakers would be ideal. As long as it looks fine to you, and it fits vertically.

eD is bang for buck. However, they are plain ugly. I wouldn't put it in my bedroom, but if you are ok with that, they offer high value.

I know of someone who attached a transducer to the bed. He jokes that he doesn't have to put in coins anymore for a shaking bed.
On a slightly more serious note, you wound't see the transducer at all, unlike with a sub.

The Lsi series, whether for good reason or not, usually is said to need better than "typical" amp sections to drive. I don't know if this is scientifically grounded, or not, but that's what I read over and over again.

For me, the first knock on the 605 is lack of preouts (which you may not need). The second knock is not being able to matrix hi-def audio (which you certainly do not need in a BR).

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
The Onkyo 605 cannot be used with an external amplifier, as noted above it has no pre-outs.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzzin /forum/post/14280807

I don't feel I need anything ultra-high end given my space limitations............

Please don't let space limitations limit you on getting anything ultra-high end. There are some VERY expensive ultra-high end low-powered tube amps and very expensive ultra-high end small bookshelf speakers that would work very well in a small bedroom. Or, you can forgo speakers all together and get a pair of Sennheiser Orpheus Electrostatic Headphones. Hell, you could listen to those in your closet.

But financial limitations is a whole other story

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If an amp were to become necessary, I suppose I would have no problem upgrading my receiver. But would an amp really be necessary should I go with the Paradigms? Also, are there any people who use Studio 20s as fronts but use something other than ADPs for surrounds? I'm definitely going to be looking for an even, uniform sound between the fronts and rears, so if the ADPs are the only way to achieve that with the 20s, I may just go ahead and get those. I still haven't actually heard any of the Paradigm speakers. I'm only going by all the good reviews here. The closest shop to me that sells them is 30 miles away, but I definitely am going to have to sit down and listen to them before ultimately deciding. As far as the sub goes, how powerful a sub should I be looking for, assuming I go with the Studio 20s, ADP-590s, and a CC-590? Should I just keep it all in the Paradigm family and go with the Seismic 10? Appreciate the response so far.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts