Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally posted by Clarence
Cool. What size? Looks like 4'x8'?

What did you use as a curve guide?

Which material are you trying?
size is 94x47 (2.00:1) i thought it a good compromize.

i placed two clamps, the exact with of the screen apart on each end of an oversized plywood "blank" and then placed a screw 7.25" in and then bent a long piece of mdf trim around the screw an between the clamps...if this makes no sence, i can put a pic up

TRYING???! i'm not trying it, i'm using it! vutec pearlbrite from AVS. Great stuff to work with; supprisingly flexible

now to make the fan box....

later,

robb

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
Looking real good Rob!

That is exactly how I took advantage of the decent weather yesterday. I cut out, and routed my Torus screen box. I routed all joints but your use of angled countersinks looks easier, and less time consuming.

What jig do you use for those angled countersinks? I've been thinking of buying one (for other home theater related projects) and am curious as to what model you own.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally posted by Tedd
Looking real good Rob!

That is exactly how I took advantage of the decent weather yesterday. I cut out, and routed my Torus screen box. I routed all joints but your use of angled countersinks looks easier, and less time consuming.

What jig do you use for those angled countersinks? I've been thinking of buying one (for other home theater related projects) and am curious as to what model you own.
I cut the pieces with a jig, and sanded one long and one short piece to the line using a flexible sanding "jig" (I can add a pic if you need). I then used this as a template and used a pattern bit to route the other pieces to match. I put a very slight round over on both sides and attached the pipe insulation as I have seen others do. It is a great idea.

I have the kreg K2000 pocket hole kit...I don't know how I lived without it...that being said...I didn't end up using the holes you see in the picture. I didn't set it up for the correct thickness plywood (my fault, I was in a rush). I ended up just screwing a 2x4 block in each corner and putting 4 screws in from each side. You should see them in the pics if you look close enough. I then cut some mdf corner blocks (i just used what i had on hand for sheet goods) that were about 10" square. these keep everything lined up and square. I also attached a 4" piece of ply on edge along all 4 sides so there is no bowing. hope that helps let me know if you have any other questions.

robb

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
I have a question, can you send me one?:D It's even more impressive to think you went through the considerable extra affort to make a curved screen since it's delaying the grand opening of your HT project. Most people get too anxious to finish and don't do a fancy screen until much later down the road. My HTs been done for 2 years and I still have a nice screen on the back-burner, although the one I have is not bad.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dragan: we could probably work out a deal for a working ehome chassis ;) and send your crates back to you !!

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Now if you could just scale that up to 4m wide and stick it in the post to me....

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
here you go Rob....

4" duct (as per Atom's DIY Torus)

top is 3/4" plywood with a thin layer of cork

wings nut on the threaded posts to secure top

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
from the intake end. I used the cork gasket on the fan side, to seal and isolate the fan from the box.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tedd: that is sure puuurdy! good job. just one fan, eh? (had to throw the eh in for my fellow Canuck). What size fan or what make model?

We'll have to have a torus party...byot!

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
I saw Atom's DIY Torus and he used a single 120 mm Sony 1292Q fan at 12 volts (with four inch ducting) and it gently pulls the screen taunt in fifteen to twenty seconds. His works great so I just followed his lead. I am going to try an Antec quiet 120 mm computer fan first, to see if it is up to the task. If not, I'll mouch a 1292Q fan...

BTW, that picture supplied by Don Stewart in one of the DIY Torus threads was for a large commercial Torus screen. Three fans for a forty foot wide screen (if memory serves correct).

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
The vaccum created by the fan, pulls the screen into a nice complex curved shape, based on the curved edges of the screen box and the amount of slack in the screen material itself. It is a simple way to get some very complex curves.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Dammit, you guys have got me in the mood for a screen rebuild now...

Any recommendations on fabric to use?

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
The Vutec Pearlescent 3.1 gain works really well.

This is the kind of project that if you see it, you have to build it....

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
How do you insure the fan doesn't suck the screen in to much and how do you determine how much slack to leave in the screen when you attach it to the frame. How did seal the back of the frame. How does the price of the Vutec pearlescent 3.1 compare to the Hi power material and how would it compare in pq.

This project looks very interesting. Does the viewing enjoyment with a curved screen rate alittle higher than a flat screen, I realize the cone is alittle smaller(as long as its as wide as my couch) or is it just because of the increased brightness a curved screen gives. Would it be a good choice for a floor mounted pj.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 144 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.