AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm seriously at wit's end here.

The problem I'm dealing with is GPU induced buzzing in my home theater speakers. It is not coil wine.

To be fair, I am running a fairly complex system, and I dealt with some ground loop issues between the equipment early on that have since been resolved.

My system consists of the following:

HTPC Gaming Rig - I7 4790k (stock / no OC) cooled by Corsair H100i Pro, Gigabyte GTX1080 Windforce, 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport VLP RAM, Samsung 500GB SSD, Thermaltake Core G3 case, Seasonic Focus SGX-650 PSU, ASUS Maximus VI Hero - Z87 MB

Windows 7 Pro Ultimate x64

Television - LG 65" OLED

Now for the complex part:

Speakers: 7.1 Surround Sound - Custom built fully active 3-way Left/Center/Right Speakers, (1) lilmike's Cinema F20 horn subwoofer, (1) dual opposed 20 cubic foot 15in Woofer sub tuned to ~11Hz (for the low-lows, lol), Dayton Audio B652 AIRs for back and side speakers.

Signal chain - PC HDMI Out --> Marantz SR5010 receiver --> Speaker DSP / Subwoofer DSP units --> Various Amplifiers as outlined below

The Marantz Left/Center/Right Preamp RCA Outs go to an Ashly Audio ne24.24m for DSP. The Ashly takes (3) inputs and outputs (9) signals to the amplifiers.

(7) outputs on the Ashly go to a Crown CTs 8200 for amplification of the Left Tweeter/Midrange, Right Tweeter/Midrange, and Center Tweeter/Midrange/Woofer

The remaining (2) outputs from the Ashly go to a Crown XLS 1502 for amplification of the Left and Right Speaker Woofers

The respective amplifiers are all wired appropriately to the Left/Center/Right speakers - I've been running them for about 5 months now.

The Marantz Receiver's Subwoofer output goes to a MiniDSP 2x4HD unit for DSP and then to a QSC PLX3002 amplifier for the (2) subs.

The system sounds very good, though I am changing out the Midrange drivers in the next couple days - not for this issue, for an unrelated sound quality upgrade.

The issue is the same as about a hundred or more internet forum threads - I have buzzing through the speakers when the GPU is active. The intensity of the buzz is greater when the GPU is heavily loaded. I also have the USB mouse scroll buzz.

When listening to music there is no buzzing.

When using KODI to watch movies, the buzzing starts fairly hot as the GPU ramps up (4k takes some power), but decreases when the GPU hits a semi steady state, and is at a low enough level that it is only audible during extremely quiet scenes.

Games are not playable. Rendering 4k even with V-Sync on taxes the GPU enough that the buzz is always present and so bad that you think you kicked a hornet nest.

The PS4 Pro over HDMI is however, dead silent with zero buzzing whatsoever. The Switch over HDMI is also silent.

I also have a perhaps related, perhaps not, issue with speaker pops and clicks anytime a major power draw happens in the house, e.g. HVAC, stove burners and oven, fan in the back bedroom, light switch in the living room, etc. This happens even with the PS4 and Switch, so may be unrelated.

Things I've tried to fix the buzzing issue:

My PC was originally in a Corsair Obsidian case running an OCZ 1000W PSU. Fearing it was the PSU, and wanting to downsize the case anway, I replaced both with the TT G30 and the Seasonic PSU.

Thinking it may be ground loop related, I rewired my RCA outputs from the Marantz to the Ashly DSP to the commonly accepted as correct unbalanced RCA to balanced phoenix plug per the Rane Audio wiring diagrams.

I have removed and reinstalled every device driver imaginable.

I switched my HDMI cable to an optical HDMI thinking it may be like going to optical SPDIF. I think the optical HDMI still has a ground connection end-to-end though, unlike SPDIF.

I have swapped every power cable and every interconnect in the system.

I have every electrical item on (2) big boy UPS units, both plugged into the same circuit. I plugged them into separate circuits and the problem persisted, plus my ground loop hum came back. I plugged just the PC into a different circuit with the same results.

I have a ground strap between the cases of every component in the system except the PC. This eliminated the aforementioned ground loop in conjunction with the UPS units being on the same circuit.

I have turned off various BIOS options, namely EIST and anything that throttles power based upon the advice from another thread that suggested that the ramping up and down of power draw may be causing a feedback loop.

Turned on/off V-sync in games and globally in the Nvidia Manager.

Changed Windows audio resolution/bit rate to every option available - 16-bit, 24-bit, 44.1 kHz, 48Khz, 96 kHz, 192kHz, etc.

Tried different combinations of power plugs in the two UPS units.

Tested the wall circuits - they are wired correctly.

Things I did last night that I have not had a chance to check:

After making sure the screws were tight from the GFX card bracket to the card, I ran a ground wire from the bracket to one of the motherboard screws. I was careful not to scratch the motherboard and made sure I didn't have any errant wire strands protruding around the screw head. I wouldn't want to scratch a trace and end up killing the MB.

I unplugged the HD audio from the MB, since it runs directly underneath the GFX card, just to rule out interference from it.

I replaced all the black oxide (possibly painted or black chrome) MB screws that came with the case with chrome (or zinc plated) MB screws in case they weren't conductive enough to ground the board properly. The previous case had the same issue, maybe not as profound, but it did, and all those screws were chrome.

I also ran a ground wire from one of the other MB screws to the case. I scratched off the paint so it should be making a solid connection.

The reason I did not verify results is it was super late (like 4:30am) and I had to be to work by 8:30am. I had DDU'd the GFX drivers and updated them prior to running the ground wires. I checked after the driver update and the buzz was still present, but only had the machine on for about 5 minutes. When I turned the machine on after running the ground wires, I did some quick checks, and thought it might be better on videos, but before I could start up DOOM, the screen blacked out on me. I unplugged and plugged back in the HDMI cable, and the screen came on. I fooled with it a little bit more and it blacked out again. Unplugged/plugged and checked GFX card and CPU temps and they were totally fine.

So I didn't have time to mess with it, but I think I need to roll back the GFX card driver. I am also going to reset the BIOS to default just in case I turned something off in there that is causing issues. Hopefully that solves the blackout issue, and I didn't bork something when I ran the ground wires.

Things I plan on doing if the above did not actually work:

Run optical SPDIF from the MB audio. This is a temp fix. Optical only supports 5.1 channel audio, and I want the full 7.1 my system is set up for.

Tie the PC case into the case grounds for the other equipment.

Replace the Motherboard. As much as I don't want to replace parts of an aging system, it currently runs everything I throw at it in 4K on Ultra or near Ultra settings. I figure I'm good for a couple years until the PS5 and Series X are being utilized to their potential, and then I might need to upgrade.

Any thoughts? Thanks for reading if you made it this far!

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
The problem is the ground loop between the HDMI and DSP USB cables. Thus completing the loop.
If you have shared Projector/TV/PCmon over the HDMI switching board that can also be a return path.

The solution is buying expensive: HDMI over single-mode fiber (Roughly $700 per HDMI cable.)
Alternatively optical USB cables on every A/V USB connection (still expensive, $1-200).

The "free" solution is: unplug all of the A/V related USB cables.
Keyboard and Mouse can be kept, but NAS's, DSP's etc if USB, might have to go...

Switching those over to CAT converters "might" work, but that's the last thing I'd test/try.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks for reading my suuuuuper long post!

So regarding USB, the current items I have been using are USB wireless keyboard/mouse (Logitech combo on one receiver), Logitech F710 wireless gamepad, and currently have a usb to ethernet adapter for communication to the Ashly unit. I have unplugged them all and the noise persists. That is, the noise stops for a second while Windows disconnects the USB, but returns once the 'be-dunk' Windows sound happens. I definitely don't leave the MiniDSP plugged in, as it causes hellatious noises while making changes to the settings.

It seems like a lot of people have this issue, but most threads are either abandoned without solution, or the solution is something I have already tried.

The thread on the Nvidia forums died a couple years back, but ran for like 7-8 years with people discussing options, with no resolution. Any chance it might be Marantz related? Someone suggested it was an ASUS MB / Nvidia issue with poor shielding of the audio path on the GFX card and ASUS MBs tending to run major power pathways near the PCIe ports. However, a lot of those people also had various Marantz receivers, so someone also suggested that might be an issue with poor noise rejection on the Marantz side of things.

·
Registered
Yamaha RXa2060 - HTM12 / Pa460 3way LCR - Volt10s atmos - HT8s rears - (4) Dual JBL Devs - (2) F20s
430 Posts
Go to your computer and disconnect the usb to the minidsp, now disconnect the audio out channel from your computer to your....?? Did it go away? Mine did.

My ground loop always came back when I was running tests. Took me a while to find it, mostly in my audio out (computer) but also some usb FROM MY COMPUTER. Even running a groin wire to my computer didn’t help, it did however get better when plugged into the same circuit which I couldn’t do.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Go to your computer and disconnect the usb to the minidsp, now disconnect the audio out channel from your computer to your....?? Did it go away? Mine did.

My ground loop always came back when I was running tests. Took me a while to find it, mostly in my audio out (computer) but also some usb FROM MY COMPUTER. Even running a groin wire to my computer didn’t help, it did however get better when plugged into the same circuit which I couldn’t do.

Yeah, the MiniDSP makes horrible sounds any time I have the USB cable connected, so I never have it plugged in unless I am tweaking settings. I disconnect for all testing and anything else. Makes for a lot of stand up / sit down when I am running sweeps, but meh, it is nearly dead silent when it is just running by itself.

What exactly do you mean by 'disconnect the audio out channel'?

·
Registered
Yamaha RXa2060 - HTM12 / Pa460 3way LCR - Volt10s atmos - HT8s rears - (4) Dual JBL Devs - (2) F20s
430 Posts
What exactly do you mean by 'disconnect the audio out channel'?
I run an audio out from my headphone jack on my computer to my avr (rca) for REW to use and when I do my subs I move them straight to the minidsp for sub only testing. My headphone to RCA makes just as much noise as my usb FROM MY COMPUTER.
So I leave them in unplugged until I test, then I deal with a little noise.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I run an audio out from my headphone jack on my computer to my avr (rca) for REW to use and when I do my subs I move them straight to the minidsp for sub only testing. My headphone to RCA makes just as much noise as my usb FROM MY COMPUTER.
So I leave them in unplugged until I test, then I deal with a little noise.
Ah, I get what you are saying now. Agreed, when I am watching something or listening to music, or when I used to play games on the PC, I'd unplug everything unecessary for the task. It's definitely the graphics card in this situation though, I just don't know how to fix it. I haven't had a chance to get to it this evening as the girlfriend and I are playing the most recent God of War on PS4.

I was looking at HDMI to fiber converters, and I think I found one that'll do 4k 60Hz RGB but it's like $350. Still, if it is the only thing that will clear things up, it might be worth it in the long run.

I'm wondering now if I would get the same noise over display port. I have a cable that will do 4k 30Hz RGB, or 4k 60Hz 4:2:2 I believe. Maybe I'll try it and see, that is if I didn't screw any hardware up running the ground wires inside the PC case.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I removed and reinstalled the GFX card drivers last night, set the Bios back to default settings, and was still getting blackouts. So I thought maybe the optical HDMI I was using had been pinched at some point and had a fracture. I replaced it with a copper cable, and was still getting blackouts. So I removed the two grounding wires I had installed inside the case, and that returned things to the way they were before - no blackouts, but still the USB and GFX card buzzing. Just to check again, I loaded up DOOM and pulled every cable but the HDMI and Power - no change - buzz buzz buzz with the GFX card loading. Just a note, but the Optical HDMI does make a difference. The buzzing is quite a bit less with the optical compared to the copper. Still way too unacceptable, but way less anyway.

I didn't get to swapping the HDMI for a Displayport to HDMI cable, but I will do that tonight. I am not holding out hope that it will change anything, but I have the cable, so it is worth a shot. I will also ground the case to one of the amp chassis off the off chance that makes a difference.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Even running a groin wire to my computer didn’t help, it did however get better when plugged into the same circuit which I couldn’t do.
Taken in the wrong (right?) context, this comment is hilarious...

Reactions: drewp29

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
On a practical note, it may be time for an HTPC with liquid cooling. The GPU fans themselves may be helping with the distortion.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Have you tried asking in the Home Theater Computer section? You may get more traction there.

I have not. I may have to slim it down a bit though. I tried to tell the journey in its entirety, since I have read almost half the internet and tried pretty much everything most have recommended. I'll see if I can eliminate some fluff and give it a go over there.

Taken in the wrong (right?) context, this comment is hilarious...

I have to admit, I chuckled when I read this too.

On a practical note, it may be time for an HTPC with liquid cooling. The GPU fans themselves may be helping with the distortion.

When I built this machine 5-6 years ago (minus graphics card) I heavily considered a custom full loop liquid cooling solution, but the cost was pretty steep and the CPU all in one coolers were very close performance wise to a DIY loop. In the old case it would have definitely been possible. The new Thermaltake G30 is super slim, fits a full ATX Motherboard, and was pretty cheap. I went with it because I needed more toe in on my SEOS8 tweeters and the PC case was blocking any further rotation. And I didn't have to build a new system, just replace the case and PSU. I've pretty much shoe horned everything into my area at this point, but (2) 20 cubic foot sub boxes take up loads of space.

I have devised a plan. Somewhat against BTH's advice, I have ordered an HDMI to CAT converter, a couple short 8k (!) HDMI cables, a 3 foot CAT7 cable, aaaaaaaaand an EBTECH HUMX. All from Amazon, with free returns on the bigger ticket items. I looked at quite a few HDMI to Fiber extenders, but the cost in the end was just a little more than I'd like to spend at this point.

I am hoping the converter does the trick, and if that fails, the HUMX might work. If none of them work, I'll send the converter and HUMX back to Amazon. I normally wouldn't do that type of thing unless the product is actually faulty. With most things I expect that if it works and I don't actually use it, that's my problem, not the sellers. I have zero use for the HUMX if it doesn't work, since the 6A rating means I can't even use it for a single amplifier.

If neither of these things work, I'll likely bite the bullet and go the HDMI to Fiber route. What's the point of having a super fast GFX card if all you are using it for is rendering 4K movies? Any run of the mill passively cooled card can do that these days.

EDIT: FYI the HUMX will have the computer plugged into it. The 650W power supply shouldn't draw more than the 6A rating, so it should be fine. I had intially lifted the computer ground a few months ago to try to solve the ground loop hum, and it did. I didn't play any games on the PC at that time. Since the lifted ground did all kinds of weird power things to the HDMI due to the only ground for the PC being through the HDMI cable, I figured out another route to solve the ground loop.

Lifting the ground worked for quite a few people on the Nvidia forums, but I don't like the idea based on my previous experience with it.

·
Registered
839 Posts

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
The thread on the Nvidia forums died a couple years back, but ran for like 7-8 years with people discussing options, with no resolution. Any chance it might be Marantz related? Someone suggested it was an ASUS MB / Nvidia issue with poor shielding of the audio path on the GFX card and ASUS MBs tending to run major power pathways near the PCIe ports. However, a lot of those people also had various Marantz receivers, so someone also suggested that might be an issue with poor noise rejection on the Marantz side of things.
I have two ASUS ROG Z370-G mb's plugged into my Marantz 7705 and Motu's via HDMI and USB.

I only have a slight buzz during movies and only if I leave the Motu USB monitoring cable plugged in.
With that single cable unplugged my system is dead silent, even with it in place it's still mostly-silent during movies and 100% silent during music.

I upgrade all of the HDMI cables to optical, but they were the cheaper hybrid cables, which didn't really help much. I haven't tried the SM fiber yet but that is pure-fiber so it will galvanically isolate.
If you do buy the expensive SM fiber, make sure not to bend it tighter than 1.5ft per loop, re-splicing fiber isn't fun.

DisplayPort, HDMI and DSUB all have metal in it, so I'd expect zero change.
Cat cable also has metal in it but those generally contain better grounding topologies otherwise the whole planet's networks would break.

Running two computers might help.
A laptop dedicated to DSP USB hubs.
The other dedicated to HDMI/gaming/audio.

The wireless keyboard/mouse isn't the problem, if anything that's helping.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
I'd start by disconnecting all HDMI inputs and outputs from the Marantz.

Then disconnecting all metal wires that run between that computer and your AV system. (USB/Cat/HDMI, whatever)
See if the problem goes away.

If it doesn't, then that isn't the problem.
If it does, then plug in one HDMI display and only one HDMI cable to the computer and see if it comes back.
Also try going from the computer directly to the display, bypassing the Marantz.

You have to find the problematic cable(s).

Once you've identified the 1 or multiple offending cables, ONLY then can you come up with solutions to mitigate those problems.
Trying random stuff and praying it does-stuff is kinda of backwards.

They do make wireless HDMI too, but it probably doesn't support 8K yet...

The problem with all of these converters and isolators is finding ones that don't degrade the signal in a bad way, a lot of them do unfortunately.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Once a hum gets into your Sources/DAC/DSP/Amps, it's game over.

Ideally you'd prevent the noise injection in the first place, rather than throwing a million grounding cables and isolators at the problem.

The grounding cables ARE the problem, and it's specific to Audio systems (because hearing is required), i.e. you can't hear electromagnetic interference if voicecoils aren't attached.

The noise comes from devices injecting current into the grounding system, and the audio system using that ground as the Audio Reference. It's supposed to be 0V... but it's NOT!

Actually it's the combination of grounding cables WITH interconnects. Remove either and the problem goes away. Well we can't do that because then it wouldn't work (no signal) or would be a safety hazard (ungood).

It could be as simple as your GPU injecting noise into the HDMI cable, or it could be various loops of metal between that HDMI cable and other cables (such as grounding pins or USB cables.)
Could be the known RCA to XLR shield/negative conversion problem.
If using multiple HDMI cables, it could be from that too!
If using multiple USB cables, again, from that too!
Anywhere a metal loop can be formed and thus the noise injected into the audio stream.

Cable boxes, dimmer switches and computers are the 3 main culprits but it's not only limited to just those.

It's a nightmare to identify and debug in a large complex system.
Simplify the system until the problem goes away, and add upstream and/or downstream components until the problem returns. Then avoid those connections until hopefully most of the system is re-assembled. Then focus on the problem connections.
It could upstream devices or downstream devices, or a mix of both! i.e. a nightmare...

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just changed a bunch of stuff out trying to chase down a GPU caused noise. I do use a minidsp. I do have some ground issues. The linked product below wasn't 100% effective, but enough of it went away that it's workable without having silly gain settings. My computer system is only 2.1 channel though.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N10AQ76/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I'm sort of stuck with the GFX card HDMI audio unless I want to run S/PDIF from the motherboard, which will be my last ditch effort since that will limit me to 5.1 channel audio, or 'simulated' 7.1 channel. I know that would work since pure optical isolates the audio stream. If I didn't have the S/PDIF option, I could run those adapters from the 1/8" jacks on the motherboard though.

I have two ASUS ROG Z370-G mb's plugged into my Marantz 7705 and Motu's via HDMI and USB.
I only have a slight buzz during movies and only if I leave the Motu USB monitoring cable plugged in.
With that single cable unplugged my system is dead silent, even with it in place it's still mostly-silent during movies and 100% silent during music.
What graphics card are you running? From what I gathered from the Nvidia forums the higher powered cards are the ones that have issues. In fact, people have gone through 3 generations of cards with the problem persisting the entire time. My previous card, a GTX770 did not seem to have the issue, but I didn't have 3 separate amps with DSP units and active speakers. I ran this setup initially with (3) balanced MiniDSPs, and the buzz was there, but less than with the Ashly. The Ashly, however has quite a bit more processing power and the noise floor in general (when it isn't buzzing like a mofo) is extremely improved with the Ashly. If I can get this GFX card issue sorted, I will be totally content with things for awhile. Well, except subs, one always needs more subs.

I upgrade all of the HDMI cables to optical, but they were the cheaper hybrid cables, which didn't really help much. I haven't tried the SM fiber yet but that is pure-fiber so it will galvanically isolate.
If you do buy the expensive SM fiber, make sure not to bend it tighter than 1.5ft per loop, re-splicing fiber isn't fun.

DisplayPort, HDMI and DSUB all have metal in it, so I'd expect zero change.
Cat cable also has metal in it but those generally contain better grounding topologies otherwise the whole planet's networks would break.
I was pleasantly surprised at the difference I heard last night after I switched back to the optical HDMI cable. It was quite a bit better, even if it was still pretty bad. Watching movies/tv shows on the PC is totally doable, it's really the gaming that has me so kerfluffeled. The cable I have is just a cheapish hybrid cable as well. I looked at the Single Mode Fiber converters, which looked nice, but your talking >600-700 bones when it is all said and done, and that's using the cheapest converter out there. Some of the converters I looked at were upwards of $1500 for just the TX/RX boxes, fiber not included.

This is mostly because I need 4k 60Hz RGB or 4:4:4. If I was running 1080p or 4k 30Hz, the options are quite a bit less costly.

Those are my thoughts on the different cable types as well. I thought maybe on the off chance that the DisplayPort had better shielding on the card, however unlikely, it might be worth trying. I have the DP cable already, so no harm done if it doesn't change anything.

Running two computers might help.
A laptop dedicated to DSP USB hubs.
The other dedicated to HDMI/gaming/audio.

The wireless keyboard/mouse isn't the problem, if anything that's helping.
That's the thing though, I don't keep my DSP plugged in when I am gaming or watching videos. I only plug the Ashly in for testing since it doesn't honk and squeal like the MiniDSP does when it is connected. The MiniDSP sounds like someone having a heart attack in a movie, complete with thumping heart beat, anytime it is plugged in. So I just measure, plug it in and make changes, unplug it, measure again, rinse and repeat.

I'd start by disconnecting all HDMI inputs and outputs from the Marantz.

Then disconnecting all metal wires that run between that computer and your AV system. (USB/Cat/HDMI, whatever)
See if the problem goes away.

If it doesn't, then that isn't the problem.
If it does, then plug in one HDMI display and only one HDMI cable to the computer and see if it comes back.
Also try going from the computer directly to the display, bypassing the Marantz.

You have to find the problematic cable(s).
When the Marantz is off and the passthrough is to the TV, the television speakers have no issues with videos. I have not tried it with gaming. Well, maybe I did a little bit the other day. I turned off the Marantz to reset it, while in the DOOM main menu, and the TV speakers were up. When the TV came back on due to the Marantz passthrough, the main menu sounds were present. I did not make note that it also had the buzzing, but I really didn't leave it like that for long.

Once you've identified the 1 or multiple offending cables, ONLY then can you come up with solutions to mitigate those problems.
Trying random stuff and praying it does-stuff is kinda of backwards.

They do make wireless HDMI too, but it probably doesn't support 8K yet...

The problem with all of these converters and isolators is finding ones that don't degrade the signal in a bad way, a lot of them do unfortunately.
At this point, I am fairly convinced it is not a cable feedback issue (grounding or otherwise). Since the PS4 and Switch are crystal clear that suggests the problem lies with the PC or combination of PC and Marantz. Even with the PC still on, and playing PS4 or Switch, there is no issue. I am pretty convinced this is an EMI shielding issue with the Graphics Card since the buzzing is only present when the card is under load, and it varies as the load varies.

I'm not necessarily just trying random things to get the issue to go away. I've tried some random things that someone in a forum said fixed their own issue, but most of those were likely ground loop problems, and they didn't require the purchase of items, just changing configuration. The threads where the noise is consistent when the GFX cards are under load are either abandoned without resolution, S/PDIF was the solution, or lifting the computer ground was the only thing that worked. One guy solved the problem with HDMI to HDBaseT extenders, so I thought it worth a chance. The HumX I think stands a decent chance of working, as there are reports that it works for these types of issues, though none with enough details to know whether the issue was really a ground loop or a graphics card issue.

Initially, the optical HDMI was the only purchase that was a 'if it works, great' type of thing, but it did have the bonus of being a rock solid cable with zero audio or video dropouts at 4k 60Hz 4:4:4. My other 18Gbps rated HDMI cables all had random but rare audio and video dropout, so hey, 47 bucks for an optical HDMI that solved that was worth it IMHO. Too bad I had to buy a 5 meter cable when I only really need a 2 meter one. No one really makes short optical HDMI cables except the boutique brands, and a single 2m cable would cost more the the cheaper ones at 40-60m.

There are a ton of people with way less complicated systems that have the problem, with top-tier Nvidia graphics cards mostly. Some systems as simple as PC/Receiver/Speakers/TV, though most do have a separate amplifier even if it is just a powered subwoofer. I've read a couple threads where Radeons were in the picture, but not nearly the amount where Nvidia cards are causing the noise.

I looked at wireless HDMI as well as HDMI to Bluetooth converters, but the cost for 4k HDMI 2.0 is similar to HDMI 2.0 to Fiber. If I am going to spend that kind of money, I rather be wired. It was a good thought though, something I didn't think about until I was looking at HDMI to Fiber today.

·
Registered
839 Posts
The buzz during graphics intensive work happened no matter what, and my hdmi goes straight to the monitor -no audio, just vid only. Audio out was from the audio card, ditched that, now from the USB to a DAC. Didn't matter, buzz/noise continued. The whole system is susceptible to noise. When the landscaper came and was operating his leaf blower (gas engine) on the other side of the wall I have my equipment up against, I got interference through the speakers. The main system does not have this issue, it's definitely computer related. I do have a higher end nvidia card. Noisy buggers.

I just swapped from using two crowns (one for NHT's, one for the subs) to using powered monitors and one crown... same noise. Dropped a parasound pre-amp and went with a little digital pre-amp. Same noise. It's the computer and/or ground issue. The little bugger I linked made most noise go away but it's not ideal. Sigh. It works, and noise is very low right now, but the whole operation is frustrating. Best of luck.

It didn't work on my current system, but on my last system disabling some processor options in the bios killed the noise, it was power saving something or other. Oddly, putting power saving options back ON (instead of full performance 100% always/all/everything) in Windows 7 DID help with the noise on this one. Frustrating.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I'm not an expert on this but I'm thinking it could be power related as well. When the GPU kicks in it starts using a lot of juice. Do you have the PC and the Marantz plugged into the same UPS? You might try eliminating the UPS and plugging the PC and the Marantz directly into the wall as well.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I have only skimmed this but didn't see it mentioned, have you tried using a cheater plug on the power cable to the PC to lift the ground? I certainly wouldn't advise this as a permanent solution but just temporarily to check if it has any effect on the noise. I'd remove any ground strapping you have applied before testing this.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts