AVS Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
The buzz during graphics intensive work happened no matter what, and my hdmi goes straight to the monitor -no audio, just vid only. Audio out was from the audio card, ditched that, now from the USB to a DAC. Didn't matter, buzz/noise continued. The whole system is susceptible to noise. When the landscaper came and was operating his leaf blower (gas engine) on the other side of the wall I have my equipment up against, I got interference through the speakers. The main system does not have this issue, it's definitely computer related. I do have a higher end nvidia card. Noisy buggers.

I just swapped from using two crowns (one for NHT's, one for the subs) to using powered monitors and one crown... same noise. Dropped a parasound pre-amp and went with a little digital pre-amp. Same noise. It's the computer and/or ground issue. The little bugger I linked made most noise go away but it's not ideal. Sigh. It works, and noise is very low right now, but the whole operation is frustrating. Best of luck.

It didn't work on my current system, but on my last system disabling some processor options in the bios killed the noise, it was power saving something or other. Oddly, putting power saving options back ON (instead of full performance 100% always/all/everything) in Windows 7 DID help with the noise on this one. Frustrating.
I totally feel your pain! Glad you got yours to a relative minimum. That's where mine is at currently with movies/TV only, and if it remained that level when playing games, I'd have chalked it up to 'it is what it is.' Mine is also susceptible to any large power draw in the house. My girlfriend sleeps with a fan on at night, so on Saturday nights when she heads to bed (she works early early on Sunday), she flips the fan on and I hear a 'click, pop,' and the low level noise gets just a tad bit louder. It is a blower fan, since it moves more air for the dB level. It probably pulls more juice than a standard box fan, but it is the only way I can also sleep in the bedroom with the fan on. We had one go out, and I grabbed the big wire frame fan from the garage - big mistake. I had dreams I was in the back of a twin engine Cessna with a bunch of caged chickens and Short Round yelling, "OH NO DR. JONES!" Lol.

You know what - after resetting the bios to default the other night, that would have enabled the power saving features, but I didn't change my Windows Power Plan, so it is still not allowing things to throttle down to a lower power state. I should try enabling those again to see if I can get the level even lower for Movies/TV. Hmmmm, thanks for that, I wouldn't have considered changing those back after I initially set them to always on/100% to combat the initial ground loop problem. Since the ground loop is pretty nonexistent with the PS4, it might be just harming the noise with the PC on.

I'm not an expert on this but I'm thinking it could be power related as well. When the GPU kicks in it starts using a lot of juice. Do you have the PC and the Marantz plugged into the same UPS? You might try eliminating the UPS and plugging the PC and the Marantz directly into the wall as well.
It took some jockeying of plugs in the 2 UPS units to get to a combination that didn't add noise to the initial ground loop issue, but I had that thought last weekend as well, and checked. Sure enough, the Marantz and PC were on different UPS units. So, at the risk of reintroducing the ground loop, I plugged them both into the same UPS. Thankfully, this did not bring back the ground loop, but it did not help the GFX card noise either. So I tried plugging the computer directly into the wall on the same circuit, which also didn't help the noise. Then I tried plugging the computer into a different circuit altogether by running a long 12GA extension cord. BAM, Ground Loop City! So I plugged the computer back into the UPS.

I have not however tried plugging both the computer and Marantz directly into the wall. I can definitely give that a try!

It is definitely when the GFX card is pulling a lot of power. Some suggested that running the PSU on the ragged edge with power draw might have something to do with it, but when this all started I was running a very nice OCZ (PC Power and Cooling Manufactured) 1000W PSU. I thought the PSU might be going out, and I wanted a smaller case anyway, so I downgraded the PSU to a 650W SFX (Small Form Factor) Seasonic so I could change my case to a Thermaltake G30, which requires a small form factor PSU. 650W should be plenty, considering TDP of the GTX1080 is 180W, and I am really only running the GFX card, SSD, CPU/CPU cooler pump, and (5) 120mm fans.

On a side note, something I have always wondered. I know S/PDIF only supports 6 audio channels, but why has no one explored running dual, or even triple S/PDIF for expansion of the number of channels supported? You could run 2 or 3 optical lines in a single jacket and output them with either 3 plugs or a triple combo plug. If 3 individual plugs, one could just run 3 separate cables or a combo cable. S/PDIF is cheap and on everything these days, and we have processors that handle gobs of discrete channels, so it really wouldn't be difficult or that expensive to implement. I know HDMI at 48Gbps (8k) can handle an insane amount of discrete channels, so it might be obsolete already, but optical noise rejection is always a desirable trait. But I've always wondered why consumer fiber based products have not become commonplace.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
I assume you've already tried running a ground wire between the PC and the Marantz chassis, with no success.
(Optionally with re-grounding it on one or both sides.)

My Motu's can do optical ADAT over SPDIF optical wires, in PCM mode they drop to 2ch instead of 8.
Most computers can only do PCM and I'd imagine most pro-gear doesn't support PCM (you'd have to read your manual.)

Both of mine are ultra-low power systems. M.2 SSD and i7 8700 fan-less and GPU-less. Hovers around 20w, all CPU.
I use integrated graphics on both systems currently. That can do 8K youtube, and I don't use either of those devices for BD or streaming. They are DSP, web and music only.
Gaming on the integrated GPU is horribly low framerate. But I don't "need" gaming.
Good thing I didn't bother buying an RTX card yet I guess... I definitely don't want any noise injecting into the AV system!

I leave all of the cables connected to my Motu stuff 24/7/365, no noise issues to be found when changing settings on-the-fly.
72 channel Motu rig was ~$7000 with tax, shipping and supporting equipment, it's not for everyone but worth every penny IMO...

·
Registered
847 Posts
I had the exact same issue. The GPU fans have nothing to do with it. My setup is single outlet->all devices with no UPS.
I only have noise in my Subwoofer, which is connected to a pro amp. My solution was pretty simple.
I got noise when either the miniDsp was connected via USB or my amp was connected via HDMI (with all other cables but the power cables removed).
When I cut the ground from the PC, the noise disappeared completely, even with the miniDsp always connected. I have cut open the power cable and snipped the ground wire.
The alternative would've been an optical HDMI cable which is around 100$ for a 10ft run and having the miniDsp disconnected or using another optical cable there.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
GOOD NEWS EVERYONE - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

So I received the HDMI to HDBaseT extender unit. Since it was Mother's Day weekend, I did not have much time to mess with things, but I did get a chance to install it.

I hooked it up, booted the machine, and initially did not get an output. I switched the EDID dipswitch from RX to TX, and still did not get output. The RX/TX option pulls the EDID info from either the receiving end or transmitting end, not that that's important, just a quick explanation. I unplugged the HDMI cable and plugged it back in and finally got the desktop to come up. Just to make sure I could reboot the machine and get video again, I did. It did not show the MB splash screen, but did come back up once it got into Windows.

So, first test, open KODI and see if the mouse scroll and mouse over filename actions produce the same buzz. Hmmmm, well the buzz is still there, but very much reduced. Okay, I can deal with that. Let's play some videos. So I started up a movie, and right away, I noticed a huge reduction in the background buzz, in fact it was dang near silent. Yes, this seems to help quite a bit. I closed KODI, and uh-oh, the video signal dropped. I unplugged the HDMI and plugged it back in, and it came back up. Alright, so there are some HDMI handshake issues I'll have to figure out at a later date.

Second test, load up DOOM. The video dropped again. Unplug and reinsert HDMI, still nothing. Plug HDMI cable directly into machine - video comes back, complete with the horrible buzzing sound. Exit to desktop, try again, same results. Frustration level is starting to rise, but the reduction in buzz in KODI was uplifting enough I thought I'd keep at it.

Well, maybe it's just DOOM. So I open Little Nightmares to check. Everything loads correctly, and the buzz is very low level. Low enough that even my anal-retentive self might be able to deal with it. Just to make sure it was a fluke with DOOM, I loaded up Jedi Fallen Order. Everything loads fine, but, maybe it was just psychosomatic, it seems like the video quality is slightly degraded. When panning the camera, something just wasn't right. So I checked the game's video settings, reset a few things, and checked again. Hmmm, still something is off. Maybe it was just that particular landscape, because I moved my Jedi to an area with a bit more atmospheric content and switched back and forth between extender/no extender. If there was a difference, it was slight enough that it was of no consequence.

Then I got on the ship, the game started a cut scene, and dropped the video again. So I decided maybe it was just that particular unit, which was one of the cheaper extenders on Amazon, and perhaps the higher priced Monoprice units would not have problems. It helped enough that I would be willing to put a little more money into it if it would solve the handshake problems.

Before I called it quits, I decided I needed to play around with the chassis grounds a bit. I have a ground strap that connects all the amps/receiver/Ashly DSP, and I had tried grounding the PC case to the Marantz receiver prior without success. FYI I do know what the definition of insanity is...

I plugged the HDMI directly into the video card, and loaded up DOOM for maximum buzz. I cut a length of speaker wire long enough to reach from the PC to all the equipment, attached one end to a PC case screw, and started touching the other end to various housings. Nothing changed until I touched the Ashly DSP. Not a huge change, but noticeable. So I unscrewed the other ground strap screw, and sandwiched it under. The reduction in buzz was a little less even! I pulled the PC end from the case screw, and touched it to the GFX card mounting plate...

DEAD SILENCE

I attached the wire to one of the GFX card standoffs for the DVI plug, and just out of curiosity, and ran the ground to the receiver. Still buzzing. Touched it to the Ashly, dead silence.

Don't ask me why, as the original ground strap ties all the wires together as well as every chassis, but it only ends up with dead silence if I ground the video card to the Ashly DSP. I know all the housings are grounded well to each other because if I remove even 1 of them the 60Hz ground loop comes back.

I still believe it is EMI interference from the GPU, but it manifests in the grounds, so it is still a grounding issue.

The moral of the story is: Electricity is a fickle mistress, misbehavior is her forte, and sometimes crow CAN taste good.

I cancelled the order for the HumX, though Amazon being wacky these days, they already told me twice they could not cancel it, even though it has not shipped and is not supposed to be here until Friday. They initially said next day delivery, and then changed it to over a week out after I had made the purchase, which is really getting annoying. If you say it will be next day, it had better be next day or at most 2 days, don't lie to me and change it after you have my money.

If they send the HumX to me anyway, I might try it with the PC and/or receiver to see if it does anything without the ground wire hooked up. I am sending the HDMI extender back - it has handshake issues anyway. If it did not have issues I might keep it just in case I need to run a remote HDMI signal in the future.

·
Registered
8,448 Posts
I plugged the HDMI directly into the video card, and loaded up DOOM for maximum buzz. I cut a length of speaker wire long enough to reach from the PC to all the equipment, attached one end to a PC case screw, and started touching the other end to various housings. Nothing changed until I touched the Ashly DSP. Not a huge change, but noticeable. So I unscrewed the other ground strap screw, and sandwiched it under. The reduction in buzz was a little less even! I pulled the PC end from the case screw, and touched it to the GFX card mounting plate...

DEAD SILENCE
Glad you sorted it, I had this same issue for MONTHS.

I have sorted it the same way, we even have the same exact CPU and GPU. Kodi with MadVR rendering would cause some hectic noises through my speakers.

In my case, the most reduction in noise cam from grounding everything to the marantz phono ground wire on the back of the processor. PC, Power Amps x3, AV Processor. I even ran ground wires all the way back to the PC GPU, cut up a power cable too and lefr only the ground pin active, ran that to the chassis inside etc...

In my case I had tried everything, PC on the same circuit, nothing connected except the HDMI, even on mute the noise would happen.

I solved mine the same way, cut a long speaker wire and start jamming it into everything in my rack to see when the noise reduced :)

·
Registered
292 Posts
GOOD NEWS EVERYONE - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

DEAD SILENCE

I attached the wire to one of the GFX card standoffs for the DVI plug, and just out of curiosity, and ran the ground to the receiver. Still buzzing. Touched it to the Ashly, dead silence.

Don't ask me why, as the original ground strap ties all the wires together as well as every chassis, but it only ends up with dead silence if I ground the video card to the Ashly DSP. I know all the housings are grounded well to each other because if I remove even 1 of them the 60Hz ground loop comes back
would you mind sharing a diagram, or even some pictures of your ground wires between equip. it's hard to visualize over the descriptions just where and how these wires are mounted, secured, etc.

glad you got it figured out. I had the dreaded HDD hum going through my subs (using a udac8), I dismantled my entire rig and had it running on cardboard, cut and modified USB cables, still an issue. in a last ditch attempt during my 'im giving up and putting it back together' I put the sata power cable into a different port on the psu, silence

it's a fickle ***** for sure

·
Registered
582 Posts

I have sorted it the same way, we even have the same exact CPU and GPU. Kodi with MadVR rendering would cause some hectic noises through my speakers.

In my case, the most reduction in noise cam from grounding everything to the marantz phono ground wire on the back of the processor. PC, Power Amps x3, AV Processor. I even ran ground wires all the way back to the PC GPU, cut up a power cable too and lefr only the ground pin active, ran that to the chassis inside etc...

In my case I had tried everything, PC on the same circuit, nothing connected except the HDMI, even on mute the noise would happen.

I solved mine the same way, cut a long speaker wire and start jamming it into everything in my rack to see when the noise reduced :)
You couldn't have told him this like a week ago? lol

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)

Sounds like we tried pretty much the same things! One thing that was surprising was that the internal grounding of the motherboard and graphics card that I tried actually caused problems with the video card output. I was really glad when I removed those that it went back to normal. I also found it odd that just simply tying into my grounding strap only maybe reduced the noise 10%, but running the wire from the graphics card to the DSP unit removed it completely. I'm not an EE, but I know at least a little bit about electricity, and that still doesn't make sense to me. Essentially, typing into the ground strap should have tied the graphics card to the DSP, and it sort of did, but wasn't enough I suppose.

would you mind sharing a diagram, or even some pictures of your ground wires between equip. it's hard to visualize over the descriptions just where and how these wires are mounted, secured, etc.
In my case, my amps/DSP sit 1 shelf above the receiver in my entertainment center. There are 2 stacks. The left stack is the Ashly DSP on top of the QSC PLX3002. The right stack is the Crown XLS1502 on top of the Crown CTs 8200. There is an approximately 6 inch gap (in the middle) between the two stacks where the MiniDSP 2x4 HD sits. My ground strap is individual wires connected to the individual unit housing screws, of all four mentioned, which terminate together with a crimp connector. The opposite side of the crimp connector has a single wire that runs out the back and down to the receiver. It terminates at a housing screw on the receiver. Now I have a wire that runs from the graphics card back plate to the same screw that attaches the grounding strap on the Ashly DSP.

.................._________________________________________
................/.............................................................................\
Ashly DSP__________.....________Crown XLS1502 ...........Graphics Card
...............................|....|
QSC PLX3002_______\.../_________Crown CTs 8200
.................................\../
..................................[] -- Butt Crimp Connector
...................................|
...............................Marantz

You couldn't have told him this like a week ago? lol
Lol, no worries. I think Javs had a thread on here that I read, but I've been through so many it is hard to keep track. It may have been the thread that convinced me to tie all the amps/etc. housings together with speaker wire to get rid of the 60Hz ground loop hum.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I'm not sure if my diagram in the above post shows up correctly, the forum text box formatting is really odd, and likes to remove things or add lines all willy nilly like.
I wish it didn't change your post formatting at all. Certain things like adding blank lines between paragraphs is annoying. I know they think they are making things more readable, but I format my posts specifically, and it forces me to preview my post and then remove lines, etc. Trying to do diagrams like the above is particularly hard, as even the final post doesn't look like the previewed post, so you have to edit it a million times until it posts 'sort of' how you want it.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
So...........................

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm............................

Wery Interesting.....................

Last night we were watching a TV show (Supernatural, if you MUST know, lol), and when the episode ended, I moved the mouse to start the next and heard the dreaded mouse buzz.

When I attached the ground from the GFX card to the DSP I noticed it was very temperamental about the amount of pressure exerted on the ground wire from the screw. If I tightened it all the way, the buzz was still present. If I loosened it just a bit, it would go away completely, but would come back again if I loosened it a little more. I'm not exactly sure why, I removed the paint from around the screw, so the wire is contacting bare metal, but that did not change anything.

So I spent the next couple hours trying different attachment locations, all of which had the same exact behavior. Frustrated, I thought about trying the HumX that I finally received. I had already put in for a return on Amazon, but what the heck, might as well try it.

I plugged the HumX into the UPS, and the computer into the HumX. The GFX card hum is completely gone, as is the USB buzz, and as an added bonus the MiniDSP 2x4HD no longer makes terrible noises when plugged in! Guess I'll cancel that return!

It didn't do anything for the pops and clicks from the HVAC etc. turning on/off, but I am overjoyed to not have to fool with the ground wire anymore! I might try the HumX on the DSP to see if it eliminates the pops and clicks, and if that works, I will be purchasing another HumX.

TLDR: The HumX solves the GFX card humming entirely!

21 - 33 of 33 Posts