AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not via OLED televisions, but:

Apple is using a flexible OLED display with a resolution of 272x340 pixels (290 ppi) in the 38mm watch and 312x390 pixels (302 ppi) in the 42mm watch. Apple is referring to it as a "flexible Retina Display". iFixit has taken a watch apart and examined the components here. They are not sure who is producing it but their best guess is LG Display. It is our guess, too.

Apple Watch Confirmed to Have OLED Display
Apple Watch Teardown at iFixit

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
No, the sales target is for TVs.

And Apple has already sold far more watches than LG's 600K target.

And the displays Apple is using for the watch -- which are gorgeous by the way -- aren't made at the TV fab.

I very much look forward to the iPhone 7, 7S, 8 or whichever one finally gets an OLED. The gap between the best LTPS-LCD -- which is also really good -- and the best OLEDs is now becoming just wide enough you can start to really feel it.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I know that this is now old tech and not a fair comparison, but I watched a Netflix stream of Turn the other day on my gen 2 iPad. That show has a lot of dark scenes, and everyone of them looked super washed out on the iPad. Bright scenes looked great, but the qualitative difference between my OLED TV and the iPad gen 2 screen are light years apart with dark content. It was so bad that I almost stopped watching... almost.

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well Apple has to actually sell those watches first which won't happen. There's a reason that they're not breaking out those numbers.

Oh look, a watch you have to charge at least once a day. Brilliant
You're clearly not in the target audience for the watch.

People generally have to charge their phones at least once a day, and the watch should be thought of as an adjunct interface to their phone rather than just as a watch.

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
I think the target audience are the Apple diehards who feel every single product they make is amazing and will buy it. The same for Android watches which are targeted towards the Android diehards.

I find "smart watches" to be a silly gimmick, just like I do curved TVs.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Well Apple has to actually sell those watches first which won't happen. There's a reason that they're not breaking out those numbers.
There is a reason, but it's not what you think it is.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts