AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this might be a real simple question...

I have a Denon receiver that is about 10yrs old, I want to hook up my anttena on the roof to it for FM reception..

The back of the receiver has a plug that says "75 ohm coax"

Question: How do I hook a normal RG6 Coax cable into it?

The plug is not threaded, and it has an inner female jack which is slightly larger than the outside jack... I've tried normal push on adapters and the coax doesnt make enough contact for good reception.. if i balance the coax just right it works...

Oh well I wont continue on, i'm sure you all know what i'm talking about...

Do I need a SO-239 UHF Adapter?

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
No, you don't want a UHF adaptor, as that's 300 ohms (it uses an impedence matching transformer). FM inputs are indeed 75 ohms.

I don't know the plug you mean, though. Could it be like they use for some CB Radios? Can you get a picture of it?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Check out Radio Shack catalog #: 278-235 Right-angle Screw-on to Push-on Adapter $3.29. I think this is what you are looking for.

Michael

·
Registered
49 Posts
What is the model number of your receiver?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Denon AVR-600

And I have an avr-3300 which i 'think' has the same plug, but i'm not interested in getting fm on the 3300

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You confused me... so your saying I need a T connector / BNC?? could you possible suggest the part from their website?

I went to a radio shack and the guys where clueless...

Is this that odd of a question? or does nobody hook their recievers up to their attena on their roof? :)

The antena i bought says its TV & FM

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmm that still doesnt look right...

Did u look at that PDF file I pasted the link to?

The problem is a normal coax seems to be to small to make decent contact in the inner jack...

·
Registered
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnestroy
Hmm that still doesnt look right...

Did u look at that PDF file I pasted the link to?

The problem is a normal coax seems to be to small to make decent contact in the inner jack...
Yes, I did. Figure 3C. It's a normal coax f-type connector. It doesn't make sense for it to be anything else on the back of a receiver. The f-connector slides over that connector. The ground is the outer rim. The signal travels on the inner pin. (just like all coax cables.)

You are connecting your rg6 to the connector I referenced. The center wire of the rg6 will need to stick out of the f-connector you connect the wire to. The f-connector slides over the 'socket' on the back of the receiver with the center wire connecting into the hole in the middle.

-David

·
Registered
219 Posts
The rat-shack part costs what? $1.99? Go buy one to convince yourself it will slide over the connector on the receiver.

-David

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hmm not to nit pick, but the link u sent is a screw on one, mine doesnt have any threads on it...

I did try a push on one, and i'm 99% sure the actual inner wire was much smaller than the inner jack.

·
Registered
219 Posts
You just don't want to believe it .. do you?

Did you look at the Siemen one. It doesn't matter if it has the screw threads .. it should still just push on the connector.

I looked at the manual for the AVR3300 which you said has the same connector. It's definitely just an f-type coax socket. It is not an SO-239 connector. Like I said, it's the only connection that makes sense on the back of a receiver (other than the twin-lead connectors, which you said you don't have.)

Have fun .. I'm not arguing anymore :) You need a coax to f-type connector. That's all I can tell you.

-David

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Hmm, I'm pretty sure that's the connector I was thinking of, but come to think of it, I'm not sure what the impedence of that connector is.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Is it possible your receiver came with a special adapter? I've looked at Denon's documentation for other receivers (couldn't find your AVR-600) and saw mention of an "FM antenna adapter assembly" as well as instructions for connecting it to coax cable.

·
Registered
49 Posts
It also may be that the jack on the back of the receiver has been damaged.

·
Registered
49 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.