AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all of the recent THT hoopla I have become very interested in building some myself. However, I just want to see if it would be worth it for me. I was planning on 4 sealed Mal-X's, with 4 QSC-RMX2450's bridged, and the Behringer DCX, but if these deliver I might just try them first because they are so cheap. I have a few questions for those that have actually built one. Please give your input if you have built one.

1) What was you previous sub setup? Meaning what drivers, amps, enclosures, and # of units.

2) Compared to your previous set up what do you like better with the THT, and why?

3) Compared to your previous set up what do you not care for with the THT, and why?

4) Do you feel 4 THT's would be overkill in a medium sized room, and why?

5) This one is for everyone: Do you think using a Tempest-X instead of the PE DVC will hurt any performance of the horn?

I don't think it will, but I would like to hear from those who know more about these horns than I do. I feel it will just offer more safety if over driven, and possibly a little more SPL due to do the Tempest being able to take a bit more power. The price difference is not really a concern between the Tempest and the DVC because if I don't like the THT's I can still use the drivers for something else down the road.

I used to use 4 JBL 15's sealed and EQed with a big pro amp for years but for the last 2 years I have had no sub and am very much missing that. I'm just trying to figure out if these THT's could be worth my time. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
I will try to post a complete review of mine later this week time permitting.

Suffice it to say that it is impressive, especially for the money.

For the ridiculous price, I would suggest building one and trying it out. They are large!

4 Mals are going to give you the ability for better low end extension, at the cost of power and excursion of course. Also, you can intergrate sealed Mals into the room just about anywhere, whereas you will notice even one THT unless you can integrate it into an adjacent room or something.

·
Registered
921 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostick4 /forum/post/18186131

I have 8 so I am completely unqualified to answer this question.

·
Registered
10,636 Posts

Quote:

1) What was you previous sub setup? Meaning what drivers, amps, enclosures, and # of units.

dual a7s-650s. (4x13av.2 drivers, 2xlt1300 amps, 2x sealed enclosures)

I moved to 2 THTs

Quote:

2) Compared to your previous set up what do you like better with the THT, and why?

Much louder, more efficient, no distortion

Quote:

3) Compared to your previous set up what do you not care for with the THT, and why?

... They weren't free? Is this a trick question? =]

Quote:

2 THT's is overkill in a large room =]

Quote:

5) This one is for everyone: Do you think using a Tempest-X instead of the PE DVC will hurt any performance of the horn?

PE DVC is proven and works. I beat on my subs pretty hard already. I don't think you'll have any problems with it.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I have two, most def overkill. So much, that I want two more.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
you could convert your current subs to tapered horns

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
2 ported subs with 2 12" drivers in each with 2 240 watt plate amps, a sealed tempest-x with a unknown plate amp, a sealed shiva with plate amp and a sealed ED 18" with a behringer ep2500. Now I just use 1 THT.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I had 4 eD 18inch in 24" cubed eq'd with 2 ep2500's and a 18 cu ft LLT dual 18's and I use the THT for everything...in fact I just sold two of my sealed subs so I can build some more THT's.

I understand there is talk about extension and I prob dug deeper with my sealed setup....buuuut....just everything about the THT is better than my previous setups. I love the sound...the quality...the punch...the fact that I have been building for years and this stupid thing puts new smiles on my face
Its just a different experience than I have had before...

Is it large? Yes. Is it for everyone? No. Does it work better than anything I have heard/build? Hell to the yes.

Is four enough for you? I would certainly think so lol...Im using one going to build another and anything after that is i dunno...beyond the definition of silly. Just ask Wisounds haha

Neways...but my insights and experiences...best thing you can do is try to find someone with one...go hear it and then start cutting..if not then...go start cutting and be done

·
Registered
1,771 Posts

Quote:

IIRC the Tempest-X won't even fit, let alone work with the design. It was designed for the original Adire Tempest. Just use the Dayton DVC385-88

·
Registered
440 Posts

Quote:

M&K V-125, 125 watt sealed, 12" single driver

Everything, did you see my previous sub

The only real downside is size I suppose. No more so than 4 xxx subs though

Ummmmm.......

No idea

4 THT's
That should work decently.

·
Registered
921 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran /forum/post/18186548

I gotta invite myself over to Wisound's place, take a listen and then I'll be able to tell you.

.....just waitting for an invite

Where in Upstate are you?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Problem I see with the THT's is where is the sub 20hz bass? Wouldn't a Mal-21 be better for this?

·
Registered
2,023 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL86 /forum/post/18187768

Problem I see with the THT's is where is the sub 20hz bass? Wouldn't a Mal-21 be better for this?

probably comes down to cost for some ppl at some point.. Im pretty sure the MAL 21 driver is more than a finished, amplified THT , painted or stained

·
Registered
152 Posts

Quote:

Single Bic Venturi V1020, generic driver, 160W RMS amp, 1 ported enclosure

Quote:

Effortless output with lower extention.

Quote:

Absolutely nothing. It's just what I needed to fill out the lower end.

Quote:

1 THT would be overkill in a medium size room....good god man

Quote:
Follow the plans.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL86 /forum/post/18187768

Yes, that is where the THT is at a slight disadvantage.

A 21" Mal either sealed or ported can give you some lower extension.

Of course, it takes a lot of power down that low and excursion to go along with it. And that all takes money too.

But, you may get enough room gain to get some decent

·
Registered
547 Posts
I came from a single MFW-15 and my THT easily beats it

Gets alot louder in my HUGE room. Sounds better too

size is the only downside

No such thing as overkill, but it would be pretty insane

I would use the Dayton from the plans

·
Registered
418 Posts
has anyone built the big one? how did you get it into ur room without building it in your ht room? dumb question i kno but if im going to build one over mal 21"s i would want the bigger one

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
1) IXL 18.4 LLT + EP2500 LLT tuned to low teens + Jamo midbass sub. In the car audio world I have had experience using a variety of top end subs from the following manufactures: JL, Image Dynamics, Phoenix Gold, Kicker

2) Better sound quality (Cleaner). Better dynamics (Efficient and effortless), Alot more SPL.

3) The THT is superior in every way. My previous subs are off collecting dust.

4) Maybe JUST A BIT overkill but this is AVS right?

5) Follow the plans, Use the Dayton DVC as it's proven to be a winner.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts