AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, Costco has this tower only for $449. It has an AMD 5570 vid card installed with HDMI out. For networking, I was planning on connecting via wifi to my main PC upstairs, and this has wifi card built in. But, for $449? Anyone see any drawbacks to this vs building one? Also, OS is installed. I'll be moving to a house soon, and currently my main PC is set up in my apt in what would be the dining area, connected via 20' run from PC to receiver/TV. So this will be a dedicated HTPC.

HP P7 1007c
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
466 Posts
I would say for that price and if it does really include a 5570 discrete graphics card, with that CPU, Memory and such it's a steal.


Honestly even with just the on-board graphics it's probably plenty good for HTPC use. The CPU might even be overkill for a HTPC but if it comes with it, why not! It'll be plenty good for encoding videos and such!



Once bit of advice since it's going to be loaded with tons of bloatware/trialware. I have used several HP/Compaq laptops/netbooks recently that via the Recovery Menu (I think you hit F11 when booting up) it has an option to do a "Minimal Image Recovery" which pretty much just installs Windows 7, drivers and a few HP apps. (You can find out more info regarding this here: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop...ry/td-p/574257 )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,276 Posts
Since you have wireless anyways, give it a try, but I don't think you will be happy if your planning on streaming HD video over it. If you want to rip any DVDs/Blu-ray movies you will want a copy of AnyDVD HD. I didn't notice if it had a Blu-ray player, if not you may want to consider adding it as you are setting up a HTPC. Also give the JRiver Media Center a trial (free trial). Other than that I think you are good to go.


The biggest drawback to buying this, is that you won't learn anything from building your own (researching the components and picking the stuff that works well together, and building it yourself if half the fun of this hobby).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdb4133 /forum/post/20795539


I would say for that price and if it does really include a 5570 discrete graphics card, with that CPU, Memory and such it's a steal.


Honestly even with just the on-board graphics it's probably plenty good for HTPC use. The CPU might even be overkill for a HTPC but if it comes with it, why not! It'll be plenty good for encoding videos and such!



Once bit of advice since it's going to be loaded with tons of bloatware/trialware. I have used several HP/Compaq laptops/netbooks recently that via the Recovery Menu (I think you hit F11 when booting up) it has an option to do a "Minimal Image Recovery" which pretty much just installs Windows 7, drivers and a few HP apps. (You can find out more info regarding this here: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop...ry/td-p/574257 )

Thanks for the lead on removing the HP bloatware. Ive never owned a pre-made PC so never had to deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryBumkin /forum/post/20795583


Since you have wireless anyways, give it a try, but I don't think you will be happy if your planning on streaming HD video over it. If you want to rip any DVDs/Blu-ray movies you will want a copy of AnyDVD HD. I didn't notice if it had a Blu-ray player, if not you may want to consider adding it as you are setting up a HTPC. Also give the JRiver Media Center a trial (free trial). Other than that I think you are good to go.


The biggest drawback to buying this, is that you won't learn anything from building your own (researching the components and picking the stuff that works well together, and building it yourself if half the fun of this hobby).

I'll have to see how the wifi streaming goes. Technically it should be fine over wifi N. As far as not learning anything....well...Ive built enough of my own, family's, and friends PC's over the years, missing one built wont hurt me lol.


Edit: I should have clarified. I probably wont be streaming from the HTPC from my main rig upstairs. It will more likely be transferring movies from my main rig onto the local HD of the HTPC, and playing from there. So the wifi streaming shouldnt be an issue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,794 Posts
The pc you linked to does not shoe a 5570. Unless I missed it it just uses the integrated 4200 graphics. Maybe thats not the exact one.


Also that phenom 251 is actually just a rebranded Athlon 275. Not that it really matters just though I would point that out.


Imo if this does not come with the 5570 its not that great of a deal. But you say it does so.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714
The pc you linked to does not shoe a 5570. Unless I missed it it just uses the integrated 4200 graphics. Maybe thats not the exact one.


Also that phenom 251 is actually just a rebranded Athlon 275. Not that it really matters just though I would point that out.


Imo if this does not come with the 5570 its not that great of a deal. But you say it does so.
The one I linked is the standard one from HP (thus, the link goes to HP); however, the one at Costco (which isnt listed on their site) DOES have a 5570 vid card in it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,045 Posts
It says HD 4200, nothing impressive at all about this system. Build a H61 + g620 for the cheapest HTPC, a step up would be the same system plus gt430 on sale or a amd A6 based system with no add on graphics. Don't let anyone tell you you can build a higher end HTPC with intel graphics.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin
Here we go again.


Proof?
I have given proof several times, intel is the absolute bottom level of acceptable for graphics. Anything from nvidia or ATI(AMD) is basically better. Like I said before G620 + H61 is the cheapest acceptable system but is easily outperformed.


Intel is the undisputed king of CPU's thats a fact, but when it comes to graphics they are way down the list.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkro
I have given proof several times, intel is the absolute bottom level of acceptable for graphics. Anything from nvidia or ATI(AMD) is basically better. Like I said before G620 + H61 is the cheapest acceptable system but is easily outperformed.


Intel is the undisputed king of CPU's thats a fact, but when it comes to graphics they are way down the list.
Show me OBJECTIVE evidence as it relates to 1080p , and not gaming.


Edit: Since we are talking SUBJECTIVE let me say that I have used an ATI 5450, NVidia 430 and Intel integrated graphics. PQ looks extremely good on all 3. The Intel drivers BY FAR were the most stable. The AMD/ATI driver BY FAR were the most buggy/unstable (this has been echoed by numerous on AVS and elsewhere). NVidia was somewhere in the middle.


Again, to each his own since we are talking about subjective opinions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,794 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkro /forum/post/20800281


I have given proof several times, intel is the absolute bottom level of acceptable for graphics. Anything from nvidia or ATI(AMD) is basically better. Like I said before G620 + H61 is the cheapest acceptable system but is easily outperformed.


Intel is the undisputed king of CPU's thats a fact, but when it comes to graphics they are way down the list.

Hmmm, I have a gtx 460 in my htpc. I have recently had to pull it out because the gpu in my main rig died.


I can say that using evr with either I have not noticed any difference between last years core i3 graphics and the gtx 460.


I also have madvr separately using mpchc as a stand alone player. I understand this will look better.


But besides that I haven't noticed any lack of quality. Did I get 3' from the screen or do a side by side? No. But ino if you have to look that hard then...


One thing I can say is scrolling through media browser is not as smooth without the dedicated gpu. Its kind of choppy with the intel graphics, I noticed that right away.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,826 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdb4133 /forum/post/20801671


This PC also looks somewhat similar, it comes with a 20" LCD Monitor as well: http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3188814

This is an attractive package for some folks. $399 inlcuding monitor


quad core, 6 gig ddrr, 1 TB 4200 on board.. lots of slots.. slow nic. as mentioned includes a monitor.


I don't buy AMD because of power consumption, but throw in a discrete GPU and you have a pretty decent pc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,794 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin /forum/post/20800852


Interesting.


Do you have a SSD in that rig? How much RAM?


I have a SSD and 4GB and mine is butter smooth.


BTW - I agree with your assessment on the picture quality. Both are excellent.

Yah it has 4gigs of ram, intel ssd, i3 550. I've been swapping out the 460 a couple times and everytime I pull it out I notice this right away.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top