AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tthis will be my last year with Sunday Ticket as long as these blackout restrictions which I have never had before are going ot be in effect. I can't even watch the Fox Widescreen Bucs/Falcons game today because it's blacked out in Baltimore on Sunday Ticket, and our wonderful Sinclair owned Fox 45 doesn't pass the widescreen signal.


So I am totally screwed. Thankfully the 4:00 game will not be black since Baltimore is playing at the same time and our CBS affiliate will show that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Blacked out at my reception location so I don't know if problem is fixed here. Local station carrying same (national) game, so no High Definition for me. I dare say that most people with Sunday Ticket cannot view the Fox HDTV games and certainly will never see the local team in Fox Widescreen via Sunday Ticket.


My local station said that the NFL makes the rule, not the individual stations. Am I right on this? Are most Sunday Ticket subscribers blacked out from watching the Fox HDTV games?
 

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
Joined
·
45,645 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dcstager
My local station said that the NFL makes the rule, not the individual stations. Am I right on this?
It's not been determined who actually made the local station priority rule for NFL ST. It would seem local Fox stations would have the most to benefit, so I would guess Fox is trying to protect their interests.




Quote:
Are most Sunday Ticket subscribers blacked out from watching the Fox HDTV games?
According to Fox Sports info, 46% of the country is scheduled to get the early FW game today. For the late FW game today, 27% of the country is scheduled.


The expectation is that viewers in those areas will get the game in FW from their local Fox DTV affilate, and not NFL ST.


Of those percentages, there are a certain number of locations that don't fall into a Neilson DMA, and they would not be blacked out for NFL ST.


One more thing; Fox does not do HDTV. The games are in the Fox Widescreen format. For details, see the HDTV Programming Synopsis.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
710 Posts
Quote:
Tthis will be my last year with Sunday Ticket as long as these blackout restrictions which I have never had before are going ot be in effect. I can't even watch the Fox Widescreen Bucs/Falcons game today because it's blacked out in Baltimore on Sunday Ticket, and our wonderful Sinclair owned Fox 45 doesn't pass the widescreen signal.
I agree that the NFL/Directv messed this one up by blacking out widescreen ST games, whether it be HighDef or FoxDef because of local SD coverage. There are still plenty of local issues out there preventing universal ability to get wide-screen OTA.


Don
 

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
Joined
·
45,645 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by donyoop

I agree that the NFL/Directv messed this one up by blacking out widescreen ST games, whether it be HighDef...

This only affects the Fox Widescreen games; the CBS HDTV games are not blacked out from NFL ST in favor of local stations.


The only time CBS HD games will be blacked out on NFL ST is if the home team does not sell out the venue at least 72 hours before the game start time, and the only area blacked out would be the home team Neilson DMA.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
513 Posts
I think there is something else going on here today. I live in San Diego, and the Fox Bucs/Falcon game is blacked out here today too. Both SD and HD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,119 Posts
this sounds more like the fault of your local station then it is Directv's. only games that are blacked out are your home teams non sellouts, and the games your local affiliates carry. (with the exception of HDTV games) these are the same rules for NCAA march madness also.


nfl made these rules so that local markets wouldnt be hurt by NFL sunday ticket. last year i never once watched my local channels for nfl. so this strategy works.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by ragedogg69
nfl made these rules so that local markets wouldnt be hurt by NFL sunday ticket. last year i never once watched my local channels for nfl. so this strategy works.
But my point was I don't have a choice. Baltimore's Fox affiliate does NOT pass the widescreen feed, so it was SD or nothing.


And their strategy backfired because I simply didn't watch the game at all. I refuse to watch ANYTHING on Fox 45. I will either point my antenna at WTTG in DC, or I simply don't watch the station. Either way they are not getting my advertising dollar at all.


And yet, I could watch the Redskins game on both local and ST and not be blacked out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
936 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Mullis



And yet, I could watch the Redskins game on both local and ST and not be blacked out.
skins werent on fox 45
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Mullis
But my point was I don't have a choice.
i never said these black out rules gave you a choice. if anything i reinforced your lack of choice and gave the reasons behind it. as i said before this is a problem with your local fox affiliate not DirecTV. fox 45 isnt paying up to their end of the deal.


nfl sunday ticket is now designed to supplement your local affiliates, not replace them.
 

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
Joined
·
45,645 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
451 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken H
This only affects the Fox Widescreen games; the CBS HDTV games are not blacked out from NFL ST in favor of local stations.


The only time CBS HD games will be blacked out on NFL ST is if the home team does not sell out the venue at least 72 hours before the game start time, and the only area blacked out would be the home team Neilson DMA.
Ken - I'm in NY and subscribe to Sunday Ticket. The Jet/Patriot game was on at 1pm and ran late. At 4pm on channel 70 it switched to the color bars that with "WCBS-TV NY" in the middle. The minute the Jet-Patriot game ended, the Browns-49ers game came on. And by the way, it looked amazing!! But anyway, if no local blackout applies, why did they wait until that game ended??? Any help is appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
375 Posts
Goes back to the original point in all of this Bulls***.

If they want us to watch the local affiliates instead of Sunday Ticket,then give us the SAME PROGRAMMING !

If you live in an area where you can't receive the Fox Widescreen games due to your local affiliates lack of equipment etc., then open up those feeds to us.

Level the playing field.

All of this mumbo-jumbo about who has the right to see what game,cut off times,between game switches thrown or whatever the hell they're blaming this crap on is just that-a load of crap.

Who the hell came up with this nonsense in the first place?

What happened to purchasing a product and getting what you paid for ?

I can't wait to see the responses from those who defend this whole thing.

It's not D**'s fault,they told us this was going to happen,blah,blah,blah.

What a sack of s***.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mulesqb
Ken - I'm in NY and subscribe to Sunday Ticket. The Jet/Patriot game was on at 1pm and ran late. At 4pm on channel 70 it switched to the color bars that with "WCBS-TV NY" in the middle. The minute the Jet-Patriot game ended, the Browns-49ers game came on. And by the way, it looked amazing!! But anyway, if no local blackout applies, why did they wait until that game ended??? Any help is appreciated.
The Browns/49ers game was scheduled to start at 3:15. At 3:00 I also got color bars, but at 3:15 the game came on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,425 Posts
These blackout rules are a real pain and has made it very difficult to jump around from game to game. Instead of havinng all the games in the 700's now I have to go to local I also have to go to the HD channels and Fox ED channels so when I hit previous channel on the remote I am not sure where I will end up. The NFLST is not what it used to be although I still must have it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by steverobertson
These blackout rules are a real pain and has made it very difficult to jump around from game to game. Instead of havinng all the games in the 700's now I have to go to local I also have to go to the HD channels and Fox ED channels so when I hit previous channel on the remote I am not sure where I will end up. The NFLST is not what it used to be although I still must have it.
Agreed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by steverobertson
These blackout rules are a real pain and has made it very difficult to jump around from game to game. Instead of havinng all the games in the 700's now I have to go to local I also have to go to the HD channels and Fox ED channels so when I hit previous channel on the remote I am not sure where I will end up. The NFLST is not what it used to be although I still must have it.
Actually this is probably the least of the problems. Most DirecTV HD receivers have several "favorite" lists that you can setup. I have the Hughes E-86. So on Sunday when I sit down to watch I change my channel guide to my "NFL" favorite which only has my local CBS and Fox via OTA, 70, 71, 72, and the 700's. Thus I can channel up, down to my hearts content and only land on an NFL game.


So check your receiver for a favorite list and set one up for NFL, most if not all non-Tivo DirecTV receivers have this option.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by stsrep
Goes back to the original point in all of this Bulls***.

If they want us to watch the local affiliates instead of Sunday Ticket,then give us the SAME PROGRAMMING !

If you live in an area where you can't receive the Fox Widescreen games due to your local affiliates lack of equipment etc., then open up those feeds to us.

Level the playing field.

All of this mumbo-jumbo about who has the right to see what game,cut off times,between game switches thrown or whatever the hell they're blaming this crap on is just that-a load of crap.

Who the hell came up with this nonsense in the first place?

What happened to purchasing a product and getting what you paid for ?

I can't wait to see the responses from those who defend this whole thing.

It's not D**'s fault,they told us this was going to happen,blah,blah,blah.

What a sack of s***.
NFL came up with it.


I don't defend it, just live with it since I knew what I was buying this year. I could have easily not subbed if I didn't like it.


Your problem is your local FOX station not passing on the Widescreen feed. So the only blame you have in your situation is Fox and your local Fox affiliate. CBS gave a blanket waiver to everyone for their HD feed so that no one would be blacked out. FOX could easily do the same but the Fox network has decided not to do it. So again, rattle the chains at Fox or more directly, your local Fox station for not passing on the widescreen feed to you.


The only way DirecTV could help you in this situation is if Fox would grant the same waiver for Fox Widescreen as CBS did.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by stsrep
Goes back to the original point in all of this Bulls***.

If they want us to watch the local affiliates instead of Sunday Ticket,then give us the SAME PROGRAMMING !

If you live in an area where you can't receive the Fox Widescreen games due to your local affiliates lack of equipment etc., then open up those feeds to us.

Level the playing field.

All of this mumbo-jumbo about who has the right to see what game,cut off times,between game switches thrown or whatever the hell they're blaming this crap on is just that-a load of crap.

Who the hell came up with this nonsense in the first place?

What happened to purchasing a product and getting what you paid for ?

I can't wait to see the responses from those who defend this whole thing.

It's not D**'s fault,they told us this was going to happen,blah,blah,blah.

What a sack of s***.
although i will probably regret responding to this rant/tantrum, but i will anyways.


1) NFL came up with these rules


2) they came up with them to protect the rights of the local affiliates


3) affiliates main source of income is local advertising which wouldnt be seen if you are watching a game on NFL ST.


4) yes, directv stated well ahead of time that these would be the new blackout rules


5) do your homework, if you dont feel its worth it, dont subscribe; let us who feel its worth it enjoy it.


6) complain to Fox or your local affiliate not the NFL or D*


/puts on flame suit :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
I thought I would miss my NFL Sunday ticket after dumping Directv and getting a C-band satellite system, then I saw the price jumped to $209($179 for renewal) since they have command of the package and now the black out issues.

What a waste!

I was able to find a couple feeds along with a couple TV stations on a Canadian satellite. I'm not able to receive all the games, but enough for me.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top