Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thomson's press releases can be found here:
http://www.rca.com/content/viewdetai...CI258,00.html?

The good news is that I can find no reference anywhere to copy protection. My feeling is that we dodged a bullet on this one, and I'm delighted to be wrong with my doleful prediction on Monday. So the question remains, what is Cablevision doing? It just makes no sense for Cablevision to incorporate Firewire copy protection for HDTV on the forthcoming digital STBs, if The Wiz can't sell any TVs (except for the three Sonys) that can be used with those STBs. Any just maybe the answer is, Cablevision is not going to use Firewire, maybe because it's not going to be offering HDTV. My crystal ball is suddenly very cloudy.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
I notice that RCA's Widescreen HDTVs have built-in ATSC receivers. It looks like the 4x3 HDTVs are monitors only, but the widescreen ones are full HDTVs. I thought Toshiba decided to no longer sell widescreen sets with built-in tuners so this appears to be a somewhat different strategy.

------------------

Rich Peterson

DBS Consumer Guide Author

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
It didn't appear from the last link that the MM series would be replaced. The D series apparently complements it?

·
Registered
434 Posts
They are finally showing them on the RCA page under TV's.

I can't wait to see one. It is one of the few that fit my space limitations. I saw one of the Samsungs and wasn't very impressed with it.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
The press release in the second link mentions the presence of (unprotected?) inputs. Interesting...

"The RCA Scenium Digital Plasma Monitor includes...Composite/S-Video, YPrPb component video input, RGB via 15-pin VGA input, and VGA, SVGA, XGA, and SXGA PC compatibility..."

------------------

HiDefDave

[This message has been edited by David McRoy (edited 07-11-2001).]

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Does anyone know if the new 36" flat screen model (D36TF20) supports a VGA connection like to an HTPC? I see it has the "connector" on the back according to RCA's web site, but that may be reserved for the HDTV tuner. The current MM36110 has two of those jacks.

I don't know if I should just get the MM36110 now, or wait for the D36TF20. I like the flat screen and progressive-scan line doubler built in, but not if I can't use an HTPC with it!

Anyone have any more info on this?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Valnar:
Does anyone know if the new 36" flat screen model (D36TF20) supports a VGA connection like to an HTPC? I see it has the "connector" on the back according to RCA's web site, but that may be reserved for the HDTV tuner. The current MM36110 has two of those jacks.

I don't know if I should just get the MM36110 now, or wait for the D36TF20. I like the flat screen and progressive-scan line doubler built in, but not if I can't use an HTPC with it!

Anyone have any more info on this?
Valnar if you go here: http://www.rca.com/content/productsp...00100,00.html?

And look almost half way down the page you will see that it supports 480P and 1080i. It is thus not a multi-scan TV like the MM series. For those who use composite and RF sources (which I don't) the non-inclusion of a 3D comb filter is disappointing.

The doubler from the marketing info supports inverse telecine but its actual quality will have to be seen (the same for the upcoming Toshiba and Hitachi flatscreens).

Finally, being a first generation flatscreen the question arises as to whether they are also going to be bedevilled by geometric issues like the Tau HX40 and the first and second generation Wegas (and current XBRs but to a more limited extent).

Peter

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
That's what I was afraid of. The MM36110 does most of what I want, but having a flat screen and anamorphic squeeze would have been nice. I guess I'll pass on the new series.

Robert

·
Registered
797 Posts
I was very excited by the immediate price drop on the LCOS

50" RPTV from $7499 to $6999 between the 2nd and 3rd press

releases :)

[This message has been edited by edmc (edited 07-11-2001).]

·
Registered
172 Posts
Quote:
So the question remains, what is Cablevision doing? It just makes no sense for Cablevision to incorporate Firewire copy protection
Unlike most of its cable and DBS competitors, CV has all sorts of businesses which maybe conflicting at times. Aside from being a cable provider, it is also a content provider (MSG, FSNY), sports franchise owner (Knicks, Rangers, Liberty?), sports/entertainment arena owner (MSG) and consumer electronics products retailer (Wiz). I think being a content provider more that anything else is compelling them to go with copy protection which in turn seem to be in conflict with selling TVs at the Wiz. Plus they're partnering with Sony which is a major Hollywood player and apt to also protect its movies.

This LCOS and the Tantus fLCD could be appealing alternatives to plasma and I believe both don't have the burn-in issues suffered by plasma and most RPTVs. Hopefully, the prices will drop even further.

Ben

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.