AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone received a phone call regarding delivery dates for the replacement of RCA/PROSCAN HDTV? Two weeks ago, I received a letter from Thomson detailing replacement program and called back with nec. info. I have yet to receive a phone call from delivery carrier...getting impatient and wondering if delivery will take another six months.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you previously registered with Thomson? If not, that may be the reason you didn't get the letter dated April 13. Call Thomson at 1-866-896-6111. Have the model and serial # ready to give them. Tell them your registering for the replacement program. Post what happens.

·
Registered
907 Posts
What is this a replacement program for?

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RCA/Proscan HDTV's have been redesigned due to a slight flaw in picture tube and a video blankout issue. The program deals with RCA F38310 and Proscan 38000 HDTV's.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I registered back in January and I didn't get a letter. Guess I'll call them. I like the idea of the dvd player, that should be in addition to the $200 credit. When you consider how much the price has gone down on these sets, that it is still the same set (not a new model), and the long wait for the replacements, I think they owe us at least that much. Maybe everyone should be vocal about it.

I do love the set, though. Just hate the fan noise.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by taron1:
You know we bettet get a free progressive DVD player for all the wait.
The letter I got states a $200 rebate...good for one year...on any RCA/Thomson product. Have you received anything on the status of the replacements? I have to agree with "sh"...I would like BOTH!!!

[This message has been edited by CJArciola, III (edited 04-30-2001).]

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hello,

I have not received the letter yet, however when I called 866-896-6111 I got right in and was imediately asked for my home phone number, she then read back my name and address, she assumed I was responding to "The Letter". I thought it interesting that this is a Voluntary Replacement Program. She asked if I wanted morning or afternoon delivery of the replacement set and said that their freight company would be in touch with me in 7-10 days to tell me the date. Also she said they would send me the April letter. There is nothing wrong with the set I have, well maybe the red convergence could be better in the upper left and the right grey bar may cover a little of the picture. Can anybody tell if the new one is better than the old one or is it visa versa? Should I keep what I got or go for it. Thank you

aj

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Originally posted by AJ Carlson:

She asked if I wanted morning or afternoon delivery of the replacement set and said that their freight company would be in touch with me in 7-10 days to tell me the date.

Don't bet on it. It has been 13 days and I have not heard anything from "the carrier" regarding delivery. Plan to call again today.

Besides the purity issue with picture tube, there is a video blanking issue on all inputs but OTA inputs (video signal blanks out for 1-2 secs every 28 minutes). This was "fixable" through an upgrade vis sat from DirecTv. If you got the update and can live with purity issue, than don't replace set. I don't have access to sat to get upgrade. I also have a problem with the picture being off-center by 2-3 ins. which is causing the grey bar problem you mention. Would probably need a tech for this so I'm going for replacement, although I'm basically satisfied with set. Now, all I need is a call regarding delivery.

[This message has been edited by CJArciola, III (edited 05-03-2001).]

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hello,

I first called the Thomson executive hot line on Wednesday May 2nd. I received a letter on Friday 11th from the office of the local air freight carrier asking me to phone them to schedule delivery of my replacement RCA f38310 38" HDTV. It was delivered today (15 th) and the original set was packed up in the box from the new one. I sure am glad I went for the replacement! I am not sure how many hours were on the original, did not have time to check counter under the service menu, as the delivery men were at my door 9 AM sharp, I have had the original set since September 9th and it shows at least 6 hours-a-day, probably 10. The point is that either I wore out the old set already or the new tube is much better than the original. I did have some convergence issues with the original; the new set is an order of magnitude better in that respect and with more "window effect". There still may be an issue with this new tube however. Purity issues usually exhibit themselves on a solid color field. The issue I see is a slight brown shadow over the top portion of the right grey bar. So I don't know what this is; have not checked it out with test patterns. Well I can now go out and buy another RCA/Proscan product, laying down my $200 then send in the official replacement notification letter along with the receipt of what I purchased and Thomson will send me a check, I hate rebate scenarios'; a gift certificate would be better. Well kudo's to the "executive hot line people" they literally jumped to get questions answered and did just what they said they would! Oh Yeah, it's Tuesday HDTV night!

aj

·
Registered
85 Posts
I received my replacement set today. All of the major complaints I had about my set were corrected, including:

- Lower left color blotch

- General Color warmth difference across width of picture

- Scrolling bands of video noise

- Too much red

I still am not completely happy with the set's ability to display black levels properly, but it's not terrible. I am a very happy customer.

Dave Gustafson

·
Registered
85 Posts
I almost forgot...

The geometry is much better. Very little pincushion, and less magnetic tilt compensation was required.

I still detect the "side squeeze" issue, where images are look compressed towards the side of the picture as compared to the center. I can't really tell if it is better or not.

Dave

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.