AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I happen to have an M&K sub MX-100, which is a decent mid level sub and was watching Thor the other day at a moderate level and there were several passages in the movie that bottomed out my sub. Haven't watched too many movies that ever caused that. What's others opinions on the bass in Thor?

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
thor will absolutely put your sub to the test...

·
Registered
344 Posts
I watched it with no problems on my HSU.

Like i just posted.. Thor was a bore localy but an EVENT in my theater at home.

I have watched that dvd about 3 times... i like the feel the movie has niiiice!

I did the same with the Tron disk when it first came out.

The sound and LFE made me feel like i actualy visited those two places in those movies and i kind of miss them and want to revisit them from time to time.

Much like revisitng Zelda or good Mario game. ;-)

I think it may be time for you to upgrade?!

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
If Thor indeed has a 20hz filter then I would say no. Movies like "Tron Legacy", "War of the Worlds" or "How to train you dragon" will kill non worthy subs however.

I agree that a sub upgrade may be in order......so...whats your price range?

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesando /forum/post/20963661

If Thor indeed has a 20hz filter then I would say no. Movies like "Tron Legacy", "War of the Worlds" or "How to train you dragon" will kill non worthy subs however.

I'm not looking to upgrade as the sub does a more than adequate job for the vast majority of situations. This was the first movie that has really put my sub into that mode and could easily be tempered with a few adjustments. There's always better out there but I gave up a long time ago on the constant upgrades and replace items only when needed now.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrixj3 /forum/post/20963634

I watched it with no problems on my HSU.

Like i just posted.. Thor was a bore localy but an EVENT in my theater at home.

I have watched that dvd about 3 times... i like the feel the movie has niiiice!

I did the same with the Tron disk when it first came out.

The sound and LFE made me feel like i actualy visited those two places in those movies and i kind of miss them and want to revisit them from time to time.

Much like revisitng Zelda or good Mario game. ;-)

I think it may be time for you to upgrade?!

HSU subs are very nice but this old M&K still does a pretty good job and this was the only movie and only 2 short spots where this occurred and I could easily tame it with some adjustments. For the other 99.5% of the movie the sub handled the low end very well. What all are you running in your system with the HSU and which model do you have?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTguru3 /forum/post/20963683

I'm not looking to upgrade as the sub does a more than adequate job for the vast majority of situations. This was the first movie that has really put my sub into that mode and could easily be tempered with a few adjustments. There's always better out there but I gave up a long time ago on the constant upgrades and replace items only when needed now.

Understood, If it makes you happy then why give it up

·
Registered
344 Posts
My friend has the VTF-15 and i have the MK 3.2. in my theater.

To be fair we listened to Thor at evening volume on his VTF-15 since his wife was asleep and it still had major impact. That sub is monsterous!

I rocked Thor in my theater with the MK2. I am knocking down a wall to make my theater bigger next year and make room for a VTF 15 also. I am going from about 2200 sq ft to 3700.

I had an SVS PB 13 and it was a fantastic sub also. You can't go wrong with any of these subs that get great reviews here.

·
Registered
830 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesando /forum/post/20963661

I have yet to see Thor but don't forget to add Battle Los Angeles. That movie was slamming with bass/LFE. Had my VTF-3.3 working.

·
Registered
500 Posts
The movie was not that good but the sound was pretty good. Good clean loud bass. Certain scenes were deep and powerful. Although I must agree with someone who posted here about the bass not having much depth. It was more of " in your face bass " than great detailed deep sound. Overall , good but not great.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater /forum/post/20963675

Run the movie Pulse, lab scene, at reference levels!

That scene had my whole room flexing - doors pounding against the casing - and that was only at -10

·
Registered
39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater /forum/post/20963675

Run the movie Pulse, lab scene, at reference levels!

now that is Earth shattering bass! I thought my house was going to crumble to pieces

·
Registered
168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slitman /forum/post/20964885

now that is Earth shattering bass! I thought my house was going to crumble to pieces

Just saw it for the 1st time last night. WOW! Especially when she enters the door, those pulses were great.

·
Registered
175 Posts
A new sub-demo classic

·
Registered
344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike /forum/post/20965164

There is nothing new about it. Pulse was the subwoofer torture test four years ago. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ighlight=pulse

another oldie....

Try "Close Encounters" the "Mother ship scene".

If your sub gives off WeIrD sound gurgling noise asking for HELP instead of 20hz then yea it's time for an upgrade.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
In the battle scene between Thor & the Iron Giant on earth, my Crown amp running VMPS sub was reaching the point of clipping. Fortunately the sub never bottomed out. This movie will test your sub's mettle.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Made a small adjustment and watched the movie again with no issues but lots of low rumble. Thor is definitely one for the bass heads.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts