AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
24,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I watched Black Narcissus tonight and I had to take a screen shot. Now these aren't going to be the same as Xylon's work but I think this demonstrates rather dramatically what we should expect .. no demand.

I think the shot tells all one needs. Grain detail etc thank you !. Oh yea, this film is twenty years older than Patton

Art

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
It's a good example of a shot that would be destroyed by excessive DNR, to be sure. What's impressive about it (IMO) is the fine detail in the cloth itself, which I doubt would survive the "cleansing" of DNR.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Ooooh, looks phenomenal. I should be getting my copy tomorrow in the mail... Though I won't have time until Tuesday to watch. I'm drooling at the amazingness of that screencap.

·
Registered
7,205 Posts
OMGWTFBBQ!

And that is only a pic taken from a digital camera. You will get the extra ooomph if you see the digital screengrabs.

Then again Art's viewing set is already calibrated properly the overall look should be very close.

·
Registered
7,205 Posts
Hey Art how about the full picture with the bars on the side.

Heck just show us the whole screen! with the screenshot

·
Registered
7,205 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi2016 /forum/post/14282106

It's a good example of a shot that would be destroyed by excessive DNR, to be sure. What's impressive about it (IMO) is the fine detail in the cloth itself, which I doubt would survive the "cleansing" of DNR.

The threads are clearly visible.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I got the Blu-Ray today, I can make some screengrabs and post them here.

Art -> What is the timecode for the screenshot you posted? I'll try to grab the same frame.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
My copy came in last week and I watched it Thurs or Fri.

Even without being able to access the extra features this is now one of my all time favorite HDMs.

As far as I'm concerned, this is one of the very few, truly killer apps for this format. I'm thrilled this particular film made it out this early in the formats life cycle. And that it made it out so well...

Watching it the other night, there was more than one instance where I had to consciously remind myself to breathe.

Seriously.

·
Registered
24,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't do screen shots very often. I don't know the time code sorry I won't have time to play in my theater again till Thursday evening.

No doubt the images on the screen were better than the one you see there but it illustrates what can be as opposed to some of the stuff we are seeing like The Longest Day and Patton

That is actually cropped very close to the actual frame (a 1.33:1 film) since it was 1947.

Art

·
Registered
24,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

I want to be clear, I never intended this thread to say this is perfect but instead to demonstrate what beauty there is in not applying DNR.

There are several small instances in this film where the lack of registration of the Technicolor elements is evident for example.There are, however, dozens of shots that are so clean and sharp that I just about $hit ! I paused on that frame went and got my camera.

Art

·
Banned
5,823 Posts

What is your opinion on this films transfer to Blu Ray ?

I wasn't confident when i heard ITV would be releasing all these films as here in the UK they are not considered a very upmarket company when it comes to quality broadcasting but this is encouraging news.

I now hope Capricorn One is given stellar treatment and released in it's proper aspect ratio.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Excellent thread, Art.

DNVR ruins what I call extreme facial detail. Skin has folds and lines and valleys. The kinds of detail that makes humans look human. 70mm and the very best 35mm photography is capable of showing us 100% life-like detail and BD is capable of delivering that to us at home if they have a good film element to work with. But for some reason that defies any sense of logic, the studios are determined to remove that detail and replace it with artificial, false detail via electronic sharpening.

Just thinking about this, yet again, gets me angry. How much money have we invested in the perfection of deliving film at home only to be betrayed by a bunch of suits who would rather please zit popping teens and uneducated lazy *****? My blood boils at this. My blood pressure rises each time I see some idiot tell Robert Harris that he has no idea what he is talking about.

Some screen captures from DVD beaver...

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRe...rge/oldnun.jpg

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRe...rge/kanchi.jpg

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRe.../more/kerr.jpg

·
Registered
24,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder /forum/post/14284380

What is your opinion on this films transfer to Blu Ray ?

I wasn't confident when i heard ITV would be releasing all these films as here in the UK they are not considered a very upmarket company when it comes to quality broadcasting but this is encouraging news.

I now hope Capricorn One is given stellar treatment and released in it's proper aspect ratio.

I'd call it very good overall. Some shots seem undersaturated in color, there is the color variation that occurs within a scene common in my experience to early Technicolor.Many of the backgrounds are obviously painted and the mattes have seams that are obvious. Still the non DNRed look is gorgeous in many instances the clarity rivals anything I've ever seen on HDM.

Art

1 - 20 of 38 Posts