AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Banned
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for thoughts and opinions from former LMS 5400 owners who have since moved on to other drivers. Since the LMS is th gold standard by which all diy drivers are ultimately compared to, I'm curious as to why some former owners decided to sell.

I'm a music first guy which I will admit makes the LMS very tempting for me.

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
They break too easy.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanDave  /t/1519861/those-who-have-owned-a-lms-5400-and-moved-on-why#post_24408977

They break too easy.

Here we go again. ..

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
I had an LMS Ultra. I sold it because for music playback it wasn't any better than the Maelstrom-X Mk. I it replaced, and during a lull when TC was insolvent someone offered me more than I paid for it.

I did subsequently replace the Mael-X with an Aurasound NS18, which also isn't really any better. But it looks cooler.

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazdaspeed3  /t/1519861/those-who-have-owned-a-lms-5400-and-moved-on-why#post_24409086

That's a bold statement! Why so harsh? And the XXX don't?

No that bold at all IMO. And no, they (XXX) are much more forgiving if you do manage to bottom one out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt  /t/1519861/those-who-have-owned-a-lms-5400-and-moved-on-why#post_24409222

Highpass/limit properly and its not an issue. I've bottomed mine out on a number of occasions. While it's terrifying that you may break a $450 basket, I've yet to have it happen and have only seen one or two who actually have damaged it.
Are you including me in that list? I mushroomed one pretty quick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeamdman  /t/1519861/those-who-have-owned-a-lms-5400-and-moved-on-why#post_24409107

Here we go again. ..
Considering the OP asked why some 'previous' owners moved away from their LMS Ultra's and my reason was I had to be careful not to over bottom them out by either using carefully placed High/Low pass filters, yeah , it is safe to say I did not want to go through that hassle.

So if you want complain about what I said, I hardly think this is the thread to do it, especially when the OP was asking for 'opinions' , not facts.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanDave  /t/1519861/those-who-have-owned-a-lms-5400-and-moved-on-why#post_24409443

No that bold at all IMO. And no, they (XXX) are much more forgiving if you do manage to bottom one out.

Are you including me in that list? I mushroomed one pretty quick.

Considering the OP asked why some 'previous' owners moved away from their LMS Ultra's and my reason was I had to be careful not to over bottom them out by either using carefully placed High/Low pass filters, yeah , it is safe to say I did not want to go through that hassle.

So if you want complain about what I said, I hardly think this is the thread to do it, especially when the OP was asking for 'opinions' , not facts.

So did you ever break one?

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeamdman  /t/1519861/those-who-have-owned-a-lms-5400-and-moved-on-why#post_24409453

So did you ever break one?
Sorry , my edit was too slow, yes I made a pretty 18" mushroom of the LMS cone. And the voice coil was stuck to the side, so no saving that driver.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt  /t/1519861/those-who-have-owned-a-lms-5400-and-moved-on-why#post_24409222

Highpass/limit properly and its not an issue. I've bottomed mine out on a number of occasions. While it's terrifying that you may break a $450 basket, I've yet to have it happen and have only seen one or two who actually have damaged it.

Same here.

So far I think I've heard of a grand total of two getting broke, JapanDave's included.

I don't think many realize they have a soft bottom that's almost impossible to miss. If you completely ignore it and go even further then yes, you could blow one, but how often has that happened?

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeamdman  /t/1519861/those-who-have-owned-a-lms-5400-and-moved-on-why#post_24409479

Same here.

So far I think I've heard of a grand total of two getting broke, JapanDave's included.

I don't think many realize they have a soft bottom that's almost impossible to miss. If you completely ignore it and go even further then yes, you could blow one, but how often has that happened?
Yeah, my problem is I don't know how to be careful and is why I need an idiot proof system. Hence the amount of firepower I ended up getting for my system now.

I just don't want to fool around with Low/High pass filters and be constantly worring that a certain scene may tax my system too much and break it. I certainly could have gone with something like 16 Ultras just to be sure I would never reach there potential, but that would have clogged my room up too much, not to mention I wanted to go the IB route which I was originally planning on doing but was advised against.

·
Registered
46 Posts
[/quote]

I'm not one that's complaining, I just wanted to rouse you into your input on the real world abuse of this driver.

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazdaspeed3  /t/1519861/those-who-have-owned-a-lms-5400-and-moved-on-why#post_24409536

I'm not one that's complaining, I just wanted to rouse you into your input on the real world abuse of this driver.

That was not directed towards you.

But, if you look at Ricci's tests on database.com, you will see how hard they are to break.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_c  /t/1519861/those-who-have-owned-a-lms-5400-and-moved-on-why#post_24409548

How can you tell when it's soft bottoming the driver?

Also I own 2, and have not had the desire to switch. Maybe I'll add two more next year if anything.

The cone actually hits the top spider and makes a really loud "clacking" sound. It sound like metal on metal, well, because it is
At this point, ZERO damage is being done.

If you go even further, you can make the voice coil former come in contact with the back of the magnet, and that's when the cone can become deformed.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanDave  /t/1519861/those-who-have-owned-a-lms-5400-and-moved-on-why#post_24409552

That was not directed towards you.

But, if you look at Ricci's tests on database.com, you will see how hard they are to break.

You do know Ricci broke one, right?

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeamdman  /t/1519861/those-who-have-owned-a-lms-5400-and-moved-on-why#post_24409566

You do know Ricci broke one, right?
I certainly did, but he explains how hard it was to do it. And is a lot harder to break than an LMS and that is my whole point.

·
Registered
10,631 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanDave  /t/1519861/those-who-have-owned-a-lms-5400-and-moved-on-why/0_100#post_24409462

Sorry , my edit was too slow, yes I made a pretty 18" mushroom of the LMS cone. And the voice coil was stuck to the side, so no saving that driver.

Out of curiosity, what alignment were you running it in? How much power were you feeding it?

You were included in the two. I only know of one other on thee forums.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Nickb on hts melted the coils on his two brand new Ultras while running 20hz test tones full throttle for 2 minutes non-stop from an fp14000.

The main reason I bought mine was to put them in the g-horns so I don't have to feed them so many volts to get the desired output.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts