AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
people who own qualia or others xenon base projectors, i just want to ask you that is electric bill goes up high from, assume that you own others type of projectors before, your LCD, DLP, CRT.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
12,276 Posts
I would doubt that in most instances, especially with expensive Xenon bulbs, that the projector would really be run long enough to make a noticable impact on an electric bill. Of course this depends on the use, but I would suspect normal 2-3 times a week viewing, for say 3 hours each, would not really impact it much. Then again, if someone was running it as a TV (7 days a week for say 5-6 hours), that would be a different story.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,936 Posts
Given that a kWh is $0.12, (in AZ at least)

the projector really has no impact on the bill.

You probably have more "dead" (standby equipment, nightlights, etc. etc) power burning in your house anyway...
 

· Registered
Joined
·
27,727 Posts
Now that's pennypinching!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
728 Posts
"my pg&e averages 500 dollars a month."


Geez... I'm around 15% of that, for electricity... but gas will be a whopper this winter- I may hit $100/month just for that...



Anyway, the Qualia specs a 700 Watt bulb. At US$0.15/KWh, figure around $0.10/hour.

In California, that would add maybe $5 extra per month. In Thailand???
 

· Banned
Joined
·
6,047 Posts
I have my homes solar panel connected to my Xenon projector. The only problem I have watching a movie is when a planes flies overhead.:)


I do have a xenon bulb in my projector, but I dont think it makes a difference to the power bill
 

· Registered
Joined
·
770 Posts
My Qualia draws 1000 watts upon start up.


After 1 minute it settles down to drawing approx. 800 watts


My freezer in the garage draws more than that.


With my Qualia I can at least enjoy the expense.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
25,287 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bills2k
Had the electric bill been a concern I would not have bought a Qualia.
Yes this is certainly one way to look at it , another is if you are worried about the electric bill you can't afford a Qualia.


On a related note, however ,after my theater and equipment within ran so far over expectations, I went around turning off lights a lot more.:D


Art
 

· Registered
Joined
·
4,581 Posts
heck... if you can afford a Qualia, the electric bill is a non-issue...
 

· Registered
Joined
·
720 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jon S
heck... if you can afford a Qualia, the electric bill is a non-issue...
Ahhh... but you should also note that many of us around here have severly distorted HT enthusiast's priorities... It is highly likely that in buying a Qualia to satisfy the videophile's Home Theater needs, things like utillity bills, and perhaps even food, water and clothing, need to go on a very tight budget for the next few years!


ie: We might starve and freeze, but at least we'll do it while viewing a great image... :)
 

· Registered
Joined
·
25,287 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by KoolKiwi
Ahhh... but you should also note that many of us around here have severly distorted HT enthusiast's priorities... It is highly likely that in buying a Qualia to satisfy the videophile's Home Theater needs, things like utillity bills, and perhaps even food, water and clothing, need to go on a very tight budget for the next few years!


ie: We might starve and freeze, but at least we'll do it while viewing a great image... :)
Distorted ? This sounds totally normal to me !:D


Art
 

· Registered
Joined
·
9,766 Posts
Do you realize hoe much money I'm saving on hookers now that I'm sitting home with my Xenon based projector?


keeps me warm at night too :D
 

· Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jbm007
My Qualia draws 1000 watts upon start up.


After 1 minute it settles down to drawing approx. 800 watts


My freezer in the garage draws more than that.


With my Qualia I can at least enjoy the expense.
Is 800 watts a real number for the Qualia? Yow! Still, by my calcs the cost isn't too bad...


800 W (1kw/1000w)(.12 $/kw - hr) = $0.096


or in other words, just 10 cents for an hour's worth of satisfaction. Pretty reasonable!

Quote:
Originally posted by tryg
Do you realize hoe much money I'm saving on hookers now that I'm sitting home with my Xenon based projector?
Well... by my calcs... :D
 

· Registered
Joined
·
17,711 Posts
Daniel: tried the solar panel stuff, it did not work well. The problem is that the solar panels only worked during the day and so the light coming in from the window washed out the image. Now I use a stationary bike connected to a generator. The minus with this plan is that the extra juice needed for the Xenon bulb means that I am too tired mid way through the movie, on the plus side I am getting in better shape
 

· Registered
Joined
·
728 Posts
"Now I use a stationary bike connected to a generator. The minus with this plan is that the extra juice needed for the Xenon bulb means that I am too tired mid way through the movie, on the plus side I am getting in better shape"


At 700-800 watts, that's about one horsepower, which is quite impressive- unless you are a horse...
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top