AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder if I can get a little help (or at least opinions) on how to finish my almost-built home theater. It all came together nicely (well, after I had my contractor reverse all the resilient channels he installed upside down!) -- but I'm having a heck of a time trying to figure out colors/patterns for the room.

I've attached two pictures of the screen wall -- it's a built in cabinet with doors that slide open to reveal the screen (when the doors are closed, the outer area will be bookcases). The front L/R speakers will go on bookshelves, aligned with the hollow panels on the doors (when the doors are open, that is). THe hollow panels will be covered with acoustically-transparent fabric (Guilford of Maine, I assume) ...

The open area below the screen is for the sub and center channel, and can also be covered w/fabric. I'm imagine acoustical panels on the walls with the same fabric as well.

All equipment is hidden in cabinets. THe PJ and surround speakers are mounted on the ceiling.

THanks for any/all suggestions...

·
Registered
881 Posts
Dude, sounds like your contractor and mine went to the same school. Mine can't sling mud fer sheeite, lay a smooth seam or handle squaring out an outlet hole. It's driving me nuts.

But I digress...

Can I just tell you how cool those bookshelves are? Man, oh, man, what I wouldn't give. You would definitely peg the cool-meter if they were motorized! :D

Oh, the color schemes... sorry, you're on your own. When it comes to that it's every man for himself. That stage of the process set me back in a huge way. It's not that I don't want to help you, rather I don't really believe I can as beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Except for me. It just plain eludes me when it comes to picking out colors.

Go to the galleries and have a look at other member's theaters and bookmark the one's you like. Pick up some HT mags for some ideas too. Or you can hire it out to an interior decorator (I hear Martha might be looking for work soon) to help you through the process.

Good luck and please keep us posted on your progress. What you posted looks real good so far.

Cheers!

- Ed.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Quote:
well, after I had my contractor reverse all the resilient channels he installed upside down!
You know what is awful is that one of the major manufacturer's sites shows the channels upside down in there literature/diagrams! It makes arguing with contractors much more difficult. I went through this recently on a condomimium project (all channels were upside down) and was unable to get anyone to really care.

Brian

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think anybody really believes resilient channels actually work. I'm sure that everyone involved in my project (contractor, architect, wife) went along with the whole rc thing just to humor me ...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.