AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So now that my Mcintosh MHT200 and MVP861 are boat anchors, I need to upgrade. My current speaker system set-up is a 5.1 Revel Performa3 (F32 towers with matching side surrounds and b15a subwoofer ). I would like to keep options open for 7.1 or 7.2 plus the possibility of adding object based height speakers. I like what I hear on the marantz forum about the 8802 pre/pro. My first thought was to power it with a Mac mc8207 7 channel amp, having the extra 2 amps if I should increase to 7.1; or would I be better served getting a 5 channel amp to start off with. If so, which would you prefer; Parasound A51 Halo or a Mac mc205? I guess my first question would be 5 or 7 channel amp to start with?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I won't be making a decision on the Atmos/ Aura surround until DTS-X makes it on the scene. Although they're latecomer to the dance, they have quite a large number of audio companies signing on to their technology. And since being retired limits my funding, all I could hope for this year would be to get the system up and running. One thought was to get the amplifier (either 5 or 7 channel ) and future proof the pre/pro as best as possible with the Marantz 8802. I have a few months of saving yet before I can pull the trigger, so maybe DTS-X will be more definitive by mid to late summer. I've been saving my pennies for a year and a half now, and every time I blink something new comes out to consider. If I wait too long, they'll be stuffing my new HT in my coffin! LOL.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.