AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the opportunity to purchase polk products at cost (which is like 1/2 price the markup is huge) But I want my next speaker setup to be my last for quite some time, so i basically want to know if I should pickup some polk speakers or shell out some cash and pickup say some B&W speakers.

The system will be for Music/Home Theatre, I am more focused on the sound for music tho

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
I am also a Polk Dealer and I can tell you that there new line of speakers this year are build very well.

They have tuned up, to say the least there new speakers to compete with higher end speakers. They have the high end sound with out the high end price. Its all about quality drivers and these new Polks are all about soild quality. If you can get some at cost you better do it while you can.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My first set of decent home theater speakers were Polk RT55 mains, a C400 center (which I still own, pending a sale if anyone's interested), a PW140 sub, and RT25 surrounds. They were hands down the best audio investment I have ever made. I bought them used from a local classified and paid 65% on the book price. Polks are built extremely well at their price point, but one must consider a few things:

1) acoustically they are bass heavy. Not tight bass, just copious amounts. I see why your interested in B&W...600 series??? Not to venture on a complete tangent but I feel that B&W is way overpriced until you purchase something in the CDM series or 800 series.

2) Metal tweeters- slightly bright. Not in the realm of Klipsch, but equivalent in brightness to NHT without the refinement.

3) I've heard the new LSi models and believe they are an improvement. However, my audition was in a less than ideal situtation (J&R music world's cramped speaker room)... the Vifa tweeters are a huge improvement.

4) LSi floorstanders are EXTREMELY placement sensitive due to the side-firing woofer. Think BOOM-BOOM if you put them less than 6" from a wall or TV stand.

5) Are they worth it at 60% book price. HELL YEAH! Despite the shortcomings I mentioned above my Polks were the most pleasing mid-priced speakers I've used.... used 25s are one of the best values you can find anywhere.

6) Lastly, my disclaimer: I prefer classical, opera jazz, and electronic lounge music (Thievery Corp, Buddha Bar, Hotel Costes, etc.), and laid back speakers matched with a bright receiver (Yamaha RX-V2095). The last set of speakers I auditioned with Rocket 750s, ASW Genius 100 & 200s, Soliloquy SAT5s (amazing), Linn Espeks (smooooth), MA Ref. 20s, and Polk Lsi's. Aside from the ASWs everything I liked tended to be extremely musical/laid back. I own/ed Polk, NHT SB-3, KEF Q5s, Cresta 30s...

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
as a happy polk owner i'll throw my 2 cents in...polks are awesome!!!iv'e assembled a very nice polk 6.1 system,very cheaply i might add...iv'e owned a few of there speaker,but by far the best iv'e heard which i won are the rt3000p's.they are awesome!!!!!!and i picked them up for $1k brand new in the box!!personally i use mine strictly for home theater and yes they produce TONS of bass!!!...not boomy,but good solid bass.i haven't heard the new line yet,but from what iv'e read they are decent.it seems the bargain is in the lsi9 line.

brickie

hey vic, any good deals on a set of fx1000's?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Personally, I have decided to go with Polk LSi15 as my mains after auditioning several dozen brands. My second choice were B&W 805. It really comes down to personal preferences (and money), but the LSi are very nice speakers. If I had to compare them with B&W I would say that the LSi line has many of the easy-listening and forgiving qualities of the 600 series, but still has much of the detail in the CDM/800. For me its a very good compromise of attributes, and I agree that the Vifa is well utilized in the Polk. They are in another league compared to the Polk RT and RTi speakers if you are looking for something to last you a while.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Polk Audio is the toyota camry of the audio world. A million other models just like it - sound the same, nothing fancy, just plain vanilla sound coming from a box and some tranducers.

Not music, just noise. No matter what discount you are getting, Polk Audio is like Bose.... a joke.

Save your money and go to a real hifi shop and ' unlearn what you have learned '.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by audioheaven

Not music, just noise. No matter what discount you are getting, Polk Audio is like Bose.... a joke.

Save your money and go to a real hifi shop and ' unlearn what you have learned '.
You can't be serious! I don't know whether you've had a bad experience with Polk speakers, or just have a major chip on you're shoulder. Bash, slam, and flame all you want, but your not offering any usefull info to help Arterial make an informed desision.

Arterial,

Which model are you considering? If you are talking about the Lsi series, by all means get'em! I have a full set of Lsi's (7 to be exact) and I love 'em! To my ears they outperform many speakers costing 2-3 times as much.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Quote:

You might want to pick up a HT or audio magazine and read the reviews the LSi series gets and 'unlearn what you have learned'.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I have had my polk monitor 10's for ~15 years and they still sound great. Polks can be a little muddy sounding (or smooth depending on how you want to put it :p) but all in all a solid speaker. I put polk in the mid speaker catagory with klipsch, boston, infinity, etc.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Quote:
Polk Audio is the toyota camry of the audio world. A million other models just like it - sound the same, nothing fancy, just plain vanilla sound coming from a box and some tranducers.

:rolleyes: Talk about misinformed.

I can't vouch for the RTi series, but the LSi are considered by most as audiophile quality. Heck, just one of the VifaXT tweeters (featured in all LSi speakers) is worth more than all of the paper cones in the Acoustimass 15 combined.

With that being said, I have heard the mains (LSi 15, LSi 25) can be hard to place.

Chum

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have:

Polk CSi40 Center

Polk RT600i Mains

Polk FXi50 Rears (bipole/dipole)

Polk PSW650 Dual 10" sub

I really don't know why people down the RTi series. I have auditioned the LSi series, and I didn't hear much of a difference. I actually think that the RTi series sound better in some cases. I like the sound of the new silk dome tweets in the RTi series over the older metal tweets (like the ones in my RT600i mains) however, they actually match up pretty well with each other for right now. Listening fatigue in the highs w/ metal dome tweets is non existant suprizingly, and the silks take it even a step further by producing a nice well-rounded, detailed yet not too sharp sound.

The polk hater needs to go get a life. He obviously has no experience with these speakers and wants to stir us up.

I just wish polk would come up with a nice center speaker w powered midbass drivers like their cs1000p had. I guess I will just have to find one and retrofit it with the mid cones and silk dome tweet from my CSi40. I am hoping this will work and compliment the RTi150's I plan to buy soon to replace my L/R front mains.

I have no dillusions about polks being the best or anything, but I think they are an awesome speaker for the price. That with good support and lots of models to choose from allows you to choose the type/size of speakers you want so you can have the best sound possible in your HT keeping size and shape in mind (since they have direct and bipole/dipole designs). Flexibility is nice.

Just my opinion

--Ed

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.