AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the chance to buy Teac Recivers at cost, I really do not know anything about the company but would like to know if I should spend a few extra 100 bucks and go with another brand

·
Registered
728 Posts
TEAC is an old name in consumer/professional recording.

(I used to have a 3340S RTR deck- many low-end recording studios started off with one of these. I was just given (!) a Teac/Tascam 40-4 RTR deck. Boatanchor class...)

Their present consumer line looks OK- nothing special. Check the Teac website for more info.

·
Registered
102 Posts
i currently use a TEAC AV-8900 which is basically a 9260 slightly stripped down with spring clips instead of binding posts and a different look since it was part of a HTIB

i have it with mirage avs for front l/r and center, cheapies in teh back along with energy c-1's to plug in for music for the fronts, along with a fully modded audiosource sw-15 (which btw just KICKS)

it works well, build quality is good, sounds decent too, but admittedly not as nice as my friend's panasonic he200 and another friends onkyo sr800 (hehe) since those are the only other two receivers i've spent a lot of time watching movies with.

but i paid about $150 for it along with a teac 5.1 speaker set i've come to replace by now, and so it was literally.... dirt cheap. and tahts fine by me as a college student, as i dont really need to upgrade until i have a real job, and i'd be able to unload it for a nice extra cheap reciever for the next broke student.

so yeah, i have nothing stellar to say about it, it does what its supposed to do, and sounds half decent.

it only has pro logic not DPL II...so thats sort of a bummer since i dont like to listen to music with pro logic, i need at least something like pro logic-II or logic-7 since teh center is emphasized way too much

in stereo its fine, has enough digital and analog inputs for me, and s-video switching.

but at the pricepoint i got it at, i dont see anything that can do what my av-8900 is doing at around $100

just my 2 cents, of course if i had the money i'd upgrade i na heartbeat as although i dont really care much about HT sound quality, i love my music

·
Registered
12,309 Posts
Teac AV receivers are mostly sold in Sam's and Walmart, and CostCo. They are on low side as far build quality and internal component grade but can be a good value on a short budget. They are assembled by the same factory in China that does assembly of the lower price Marantz AV receivers... :cool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.