AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any thoughts on a reasonably priced replacement for a multichannel amp would be appreciated.

When I had money a couple of years ago I bought a high quality A-V processor and 2-channel amplifier. Then I got into home theater and used three channels from an older A-V receiver for my surround channels with the stereo amp. Now the old receiver has just died. I am thinking about either a 3-channel or a 5-channel.

The 3- would compliment my 2-channel. That would work fine.

The 5- would replace the setup and let me use the 2- for stereo in another room. Not a bad decision either.

What ideas would anyone have on a 3- or 5-channel amplifier in the $1000 - $1500 range. If there were something lower that would be great. Higher would really have to be great value since I'd rather stay closer to $1K. (Balanced inputs would also be good, but I doubt if I could get them in this price range.)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might make.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I am in a similiar situation. I currently have a 3 channel Belles 150A driving my fronts. I was using a Marantz SR7000 to drive the rears, but I just replaced that with an Anthem AVM20, so now I need to get a new amp. I am leaning towards a Pass X5 (5 channel) instead of buy a 2 channel. If you are interested, I would probably be selling my Belles and it is within your budget.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Take a look at the Sherbourn 5/1500. You might try one of the used gear sites.

Bomber

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First of all I want to thank Jim, bull, and the bomber (that has a ring to it!) for their input.

I've checked with some local stores and their $1,000 to $2,000 options for 5-channel amps are:

Rotel RMB-1075: $1,100

Rotel RMB-1095: $2,000

B&K AV125.5: $1,500

Anthem PVA 5: $1,100

Anthem MCA 50: $2,000

Though I had set a limit of around $1,000 I was also hoping to get balanced inputs. In this list both the higher end Rotel and Anthem units have them, but the B&K has them also. I thought I saw an Amthem amp win a "year's best" in a magazine in the past month or so, though all of the B&K equipment I've ever seen has sounded great and is usually built really well.

My decision-making process continues.

JimProuty, would you put the Sony in the same aural ballpark? (Is it even fair to compare it to units at 2x or more the price?) Does it have balanced inputs?

bull1109, I know nothing of Belles and it probably makes more sense to simply buy a 5-channel or (in a more perfect, that is, financially balanced world where I have all the $ I want(?)) a 7-channel amp. Given the weight, too, I might be better off buying locally should anything not be right with the unit.

the bomber, my fear of buying used and/or long distance is the concern about a defective unit.

Once again, thank you.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Quote:
would you put the Sony in the same aural ballpark?
No, the Sony isn't any where near the class of these amplifiers. For the budget minded try the Outlaw line of amplifiers at www.outlawaudio.com Also ATI has produced some decently priced models like the 1505. I personally would go with the B&K

·
Registered
161 Posts
How about the PS Audio HCA-2. I think it is $1695.

I've heard it powering Thiel 3.6 and it sounded very good. The Thiels are very difficult loads and it didn't seem like the amp was working very hard.

After reading the various reviews that have come out and thinking back on the sound I would say that whatever this amp is doing it seems to affect the vocal range the most. ALL vocals just jump out and grab you with no bite at all.

The one caveat is even though stereophile gave it a class A rating they are beginning to hedge there bets due to poor distortion measurements. If that is important than this may not be the amp for you......

I know it sounded great with the Thiels which can really make some amps sound bad with its flat freq thru the treble and consistent 3 ohm load.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's a little higher than I wanted to go, but the build quality and the balanced inputs are pretty compelling.

After I scrape up the final bucks and buy this thing I can move my stereo amplifier into another room for music only. That will be nice. Of course, then I'll need to buy a couple more surround speakers or maybe a whole new speaker system. Hmm. This is turning into a much greater expense than I ever intended. (So what else is new?) It reminds me of that old adage:

"If we had some ham we could have some ham & eggs, if we had some eggs."

Thank you all for your input.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Another vote for the Sherbourn 5/1500A.

Its definetly in your budget, and also has balanced ins:)

By the way, I believe it also won amp of the year in a magazine a few onths back.(do a search to see which one)

Fred

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.