Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Sony 5000 ES PJ, Lumagen 4242, Anthem MRX 1120, Apple TV 4K, Oppo 203
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently placed an advance order (Crutchfield) for new Sony SXRD 60" RPTV and am in process of putting together components to "hit the ground running" when TV arrives. I already have Cary DVD 6 and plan on purchasing recently announced DVDO VP30

The question is: since I plan to run all of my video sources through the scalar, how significant is being limited to an analog output (component output only, no HDMI or DVI) from the Cary DVD player going to be? In other words, the Cary DVD 6 is highly regarded for both video and music, but would I be better off with, say, the Onkyo SP1000 (or Denon 3910 etc) in order to take advantage of HDMI outputs?

I am interested in excellent audio (this will function as primary CD player as well, to be used with Jim Salk's HT3 custom speakers) as well as excellent video. I wouldn't mind the SACD/DVD-A possibilities offered by the non-Cary's, but they are not of huge importance to me.

I'd appreciate any thoughts y'all may have on this topic!

·
Registered
445 Posts
If you place value on music, you should definitely check out Arcam. Both the DV79 and higher-end DV29 output 480i via HDMI, so you can connect directly to the new DVDO scaler.

Arcam DVD players don't support SACD, but I can say from experience that CD and DVD-A playback is outstanding. The video is solid as well.

Check out:
http://audiophilesystems.com/arcam/index.htm

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
I guess I don't have too much to offer other than I also own the Cary DVD 6. I don't think you'll be able to beat the sound quality of the DVD 6 although there was one surprising upgrade I made that improved the sound amazingly for DVD. That was upgrading my Monster coax cable to the Stereovox digital cable (about $100) that's been getting all the rave reviews. Amazing how much detail, multichannel coherence etc I was missing.

I still slightly prefer music through the audiobypass inputs on my Cinema 6 prepro with analog interconnects (purist audio). But for watching movies, the Stereovox is a huge improvement (and I never believed digital cables could vary in SQ - ha!).

Before I got the DVD - 6, I was using the upsampling Samsung player and swore I'd never go back to standard rez DVD players (I got the DVD6 for music). But after trying the DVD6 for video, it was so much better that the uprezzing Samsung is now totally unwatchable. So don't assume the PQ with uprezzing players will be leagues better than the DVD -6 (though I realize the Samsung is probably bettered by any of the new models).

If you try one of the other units, just make sure you can return it. The Cary player is class act.

·
23,031 Posts
msleb,

There's no definite way to determine what any of the players will look in your setup unless you have them all to compare. I'd stick with what you have (or will have) and see how you like it. There's a good chance that 480i component into the VP30 will be undistinguishable than a 480i or 480p HDMI signal except maybe for test patterns. Until you test/try it, you won't know. Don't agonize over this stuff just yet. :)

I'd like to read reports of people comparing the SP1000 to the Arcam and new Cary with audio. The new Cary is somewhat of an unknown here wrt video - and audio too but I'd be more skeptical of the Cary's video given that Cary is an audio company.

larry

·
Registered
Sony 5000 ES PJ, Lumagen 4242, Anthem MRX 1120, Apple TV 4K, Oppo 203
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. It's hard for a Type A like me to relax, wait for all of my gear to arrive, and then do side by sides, but I'll take a deep breath and do just that.

Still, it's great to hear from others and I appreciate the help!

Mark

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.