AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
I built an almost 100% identical system (the only real difference was I use Kingston RAM). For a config like mine they are charging $2,499.95! I built a slightly better system for about $1500.00. So unless you are totally uncomfortable building your own box save the $1000 difference and start building a additional media server. 2 for the price of 1.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Tech-Law / mnkynifefite,

You can absolutley save some money building your HTPC computer. I build computers for a hobby - - - but when I REALLY looked into ALL of the difference between a Jay Luft built computer (which I currently run two in my house right now without any problems) and what Cellar Cinemas did to theirs, I thought I might be making a mistake. Once I completed my evaluation of all the HTPC systems I could find, I weighed the $750.00 extra bucks. I ended up buying a HTPC from Cellar Cinemas and I will honestly tell you that it was the single best $750.00 extra cost I spent in my media room.

rudolpht is absolutley correct also. Craig at CC is both extrememly knowledgeable and supportive. My system has functioned perfectly for six months now and is perfectly stable. All the software I needed has been included and the "tweaks" they make to reduce noise levels are greatly appreciated.

Will I make my own HTPC the next time I upgrade? Not if Cellar Cinemas is still around.

BTW, I am just a tremendously enthused customer of CC and have absolutley no affliation with them what-so-ever. They have helped take my Media Room to a level I didn't think possible. Just my two cents worth...

·
Registered
165 Posts
I too am a satisfied customer of Craig's.

Unlike the earlier posters, I have had my HTPC for about 2 years. Of course, much of the hardware now available is superior to what I have, but Craig maintains upgrade paths.

More to the point, about 2 months ago I emailed him with a question, and even though it is obviously well out of warranty, I received the usual helpful and pleasant response within 1 hour.

At one point I mentioned that I was getting a Crestron controller; he then provided me with RS-232 control of the HTPC, which he set up at my request.

This is excellent support. Do you pay a premium over building it yourself? Yes. In my opinion, it is well worth it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.