AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the HT-7200 onkyo setup quite a while ago. I upgraded the receiver not long ago to the tx-nr609 and now I was looking at upgrading the front channel speakers. I have about 600 to spend on 2 speakers. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
29,305 Posts
You need to get three speakers, fronts and center. Keeping the old center with a new pair of fronts is a bad idea. You want to timbre match the front stage so buy 3 new speakers.

Do you want bookshelf or tower speakers?

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I also have the Onkyo 609 and love it. Great purchase! I am currently using it with a pair of Polk Monitor 60's and a CS2 center. Check Newegg.com as they carry the entire Monitor series and often have sales which put them at great prices. I got all three for about $350 and sometimes they are even cheaper. With your budget you could upgrade and get the Monitor 70's. I would definitely check them out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/20796172

You want to timbre match the front stage so buy 3 new speakers.

Roger. Thanks for the input.
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/0

Do you want bookshelf or tower speakers?

Tower speakers ideally. Although if there's a quality difference I get with a specific set of speakers for my price range I can be flexible.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaustin /forum/post/20796196

With your budget you could upgrade and get the Monitor 70's. I would definitely check them out.

The 70's was the set I was looking into before I came here. It seems like a solid choice. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
20,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicknick0013 /forum/post/20796513

Thanks for the suggestion. Any thoughts on the Boston Acoustics vr1 trio vs the polk monitor 70's with a cs20?

To me, they are more balanced and detailed than the Polk,

and do a better job with music too. To me, the Polk tweeter

is a little edgy and sharp sounding. The choice is yours.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 /forum/post/20796531

To me, they are more balanced and detailed than the Polk,

and do a better job with music too. To me, the Polk tweeter

is a little edgy and sharp sounding. The choice is yours.

Thanks for the info. Trying to pull the trigger sometime in the next couple of days. Going to do some more reading. Any other input is welcome.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you are interested in the Boston Acoustics vr1 trio, call them on the phone for pricing.

Their website lists the speakers individually for $65 less than the bundle price.

If you call, they might quote something lower than the individual prices for the bundle.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob999 /forum/post/20797523

If you are interested in the Boston Acoustics vr1 trio, call them on the phone for pricing.

Their website lists the speakers individually for $65 less than the bundle price.

If you call, they might quote something lower than the individual prices for the bundle.

Good catch. Any other thoughts on one over the other? They both have gotten really good reviews.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have the 10" that came with the HT 7200. Dunno if I can get a better sub with the budget i'm on. I'll prolly order the vr1's on thursday I think I've read about as much as I can without listening to them. I wish I knew more about drivers/speaker dimensions/response/amp type/ etc. So much to take in.

·
Registered
12,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicknick0013 /forum/post/20798766

I have the 10" that came with the HT 7200. Dunno if I can get a better sub with the budget i'm on. I'll prolly order the vr1's on thursday I think I've read about as much as I can without listening to them. I wish I knew more about drivers/speaker dimensions/response/amp type/ etc. So much to take in.

You will definitely want to upgrade that sub. So are you buying two VR1's or three?

Amazon has the VR1 for $117 shipped (not sure what price OnceCall is giving you). You said you have $600 to spend, so even if this is three speakers, you should still have enough for an improved sub.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Two vr1's with the VRC center channel speaker at $180. Haven't looked for the center speaker cheaper somewhere else. It's $414 totalled up. Is there a sub you recommend in the budget or would it be better to look for a better front channel setup at a great deal somewhere?

So far I've really only seen the 2 setups seriously recommended. If there are other serious contenders I'm not likely to replace the speakers i buy now for another 5+ yrs. So if there's a front channel setup i should wait to spend 800-1000 on I can wait a month.

·
Registered
12,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicknick0013 /forum/post/20798821

Two vr1's with the VRC center channel speaker at $180. Haven't looked for the center speaker cheaper somewhere else. It's $414 totalled up. Is there a sub you recommend in the budget or would it be better to look for a better front channel setup at a great deal somewhere?

So far I've really only seen the 2 setups seriously recommended. If there are other serious contenders I'm not likely to replace the speakers i buy now for another 5+ yrs. So if there's a front channel setup i should wait to spend 800-1000 on I can wait a month.

You will definitely have more options with more money and waiting. If you are willing to wait until Christmas, you might find some great deals between Nov and Dec and get a superior speaker in that $1K range. The Boston, at that price, is really solid if you can't wait that long.

$1K gets you into a different level of speaker.

Subs are the same way. For $185 or so you can get a BIC F12 which would be vastly superior to the sub that you currently have. Personally, I would save up more for a sub and get one in the $380-450 range where you have more options. Once you hear a good quality sub, it really changes the dynamic of your whole system.

Are these speakers mostly for home theater?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm trying to take advantage of the tx-nr609's streaming capabilities with spotify so I'm trying to get to where I can use it more with music. Currently it's almost exclusively home theatre.

If there's a serious difference I can probably wait til christmas/thanksgiving and reasonably expect to have 1400 to spend. That would be for everything though, including sub.

·
Registered
12,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicknick0013 /forum/post/20798898

I'm trying to take advantage of the tx-nr609's streaming capabilities with spotify so I'm trying to get to where I can use it more with music. Currently it's almost exclusively home theatre.

If there's a serious difference I can probably wait til christmas/thanksgiving and reasonably expect to have 1400 to spend. That would be for everything though, including sub.

At that price range you can get some very dynamic home theater speakers and a good sub. If it was me, I would wait. Otherwise you may end up with buyers remorse.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.