AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was about to click purchase on a 256MB memory stick to see how this feature works and I thought I would ask here first to see if people think the function is useful and worth the price of a 256MB stick. My PC is just over in the next room and although my monitor is no match for my 60" GWIII, it is good for a slide show. How often do you use this feature? Can the GWIII do a slide show?

Last question - the 256MB sticks have 2x128MB banks. Does the PC reader or TV see this as continous memory or do you have to turn it over or something? I have no experience with memory sticks.

Thanks,

LJ

·
Registered
58 Posts
My digital camera is a sony and I use a 128 mb card. I can pop it in the GWIII and it will run a slide show at 5 sec intervals (my settings). you can change the intervals, or make it manual slideshow instead of automatic. We hosted a superbowl party, and played the slideshow form our honeymoon pics (just married in October). It was a real hit versus 15 people looking at a 19" computer monitor in my small office area.

don't know about the 256 mb card.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Larry,

The memory sticks are seen as continuous memory blocks and do not require flipping at all. I agree with the previous poster in that the Memory Stick feature is a nice plus and a great and easy way to show a slide show to your family and friends with the TV.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I know it depends on the quality of the camera too, but I have to say I was very surprised by the quality of the picture. I was not sure how they would look being blown up so big.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
The GWIII does a very good job displaying JPG images. I have a 128 meg stick. I think it will handle any capacity stick made.

A couple of items to note:

1) Images displayed by the memory stick reader display in Full mode only.

You can't use the stretch modes to fill the screen. As a result, images will show up surrounded by a black border. Even with images that I've converted to a widescreen aspect ratio, some black border shows around the image.

2) Images look very good to excellent, depending on the image itself. I've found images that looked too dark or light on the computer look much better on the GWIII.

I picked up a memory skick from Sam's club for cheap and a USB memory stick card reader for $20 at BB. I have a ton of digital images on my computer from my HP digital camera. I loaded them all onto the memory stick and leave it in the GWIII. Nice to be able to see pictures with the press of a button.

This is not an essential part of the GWIII, but it is a nice bonus feature.

As a side note, you can connect most digital cameras to a tv through a composite video hookup. I tried this with my camera through the front video jacks. When viewing images in this manner, you can use the stretch modes to completely fill the screen, if you choose.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the confirmation guys. I am torn between a 128MB for $49 and a 256MB for $72, both prices shipped and no tax. The 128MB and 256MB will hold 200 and 400 pics respectively. Don't know why I am being so cheap all of a sudden:)

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have the 5 megapixel Sony camera though I use it in one of the lower resolutions, I think its 1280 x 960 or something like that. Anyway I get about 270 shots on a 128MB and stick w/Sony memory stick.

-Sal

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by LarryJoe
Thanks for the confirmation guys. I am torn between a 128MB for $49 and a 256MB for $72, both prices shipped and no tax. The 128MB and 256MB will hold 200 and 400 pics respectively. Don't know why I am being so cheap all of a sudden:)
I'd go with the higher capacity. If you collect a bunch of pics, you'll be less likely to have to switch to multiple sticks.

Digital cameras are also moving towards higher resolutions - which means bigger files per image. The extra capacity on the memory stick will likely pay off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.