AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old 10'' image dynamics IDQ v1, and currently have it it in a 1cf sealed box. It is being fed by my JVC THD50 htib.

I did this as I had the sub and box laying around and the 6'' ported sub sucked. It works okay, but its just not that loud.

A little background on the JVC. It is an aio solution HTIB. The receiver combines the amp with a DVD player; it also powers the sub as the included sub was passive. Here are the alleged specs:

200 W, RMS at 3Ω at

100 Hz, with 10 % total harmonic distortion.

I really REALLY find it hard to believe it puts out anywhere near 200w as the manual also claims the same specs for the satellites. This is total BS imo as they are 3'' cones.. No way they could handle that much power. The amp doesn't weight enough to put out 1200w either. Basically, my plan is the take the powered signal high level signal from the JVC amp, and connect it to the Dayton.

I want to add more punch to my setup on the cheap, as I dont plan on getting a new receiver and speakers anytime soon. I dont use this setup for music, just movies and games, the speakers fall under the category of "good enough", the lows however are lacking.

I unfortunately cannot find a spec sheet anymore as image dynamics doesn't seem to host it anymore, but I recall it being a SVC 4ohm sub and if I remember correctly, is rated up to 250rms.

I was thinking of leaving the box sealed, or maybe building my own ported, but I cant do that if I cant find the spec sheet as I dont know any specs on this sub other than what I posted above.

This what I was thinking of getting:

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-spa250-250-watt-subwoofer-plate-amplifier--300-803

Here is a link I found that gives some more info on my sub

http://www.teamrocs.com/reviews/speakers/idq10.htm

Do you think this would be an okay idea? I figured the speaker level inputs from the jvc into the dayton, and then the dayton would power the actual sub.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No one?

I just realized the sale ends tomorrow on the sub. I am not sure if it ends tonight at 12:01am or if it ends tomorrow night at 12am.

If I get no responses, I will just buy it and return the amp if it doesnt work with my idea.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
IMO, that is a total waste of time and money. Those subs are designed with SQL in mind. That amp might be pushing 100 watts RMS at 4 ohm. Couple that with a sealed box in a room as opposed to car and...............

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Figured I would update this, I got the amp, and did some testing and while it does work, I am not getting the output I was hoping for. As a comparison, I had energy exl-s10 I tested and it had more boom than my ID setup from what I remember. The exl had a 100rms amp and a 10' ported sub. My current setup is similar except a 250rms amp. I have a ported box for the ID sub from awhile back along with my current sealed configuration. Sealed I didn't a big enough difference between the receiver power vs the Dayton. Ported, there was a noticeable increase in output, but the sub sounded like it was going to its mechanical limits and it while it still didn't fully match the energy sub in output.

So like the above poster predicted, this idea wasn't really worth it. At low volume levels the subs sound fantastic and give a very nice rumble while sounding good at the same time. It just lacks pure output(what I am looking for as this is for HT use(movies/games), not music)).

I need to decide now if I want to move forward with this idea and purchase a proper HT sub and build/buy my own box, or if I want to return the amp and save up money and buy a ready made sub(as opposed to making my own). I have 45 days to return the amp.

hmm

1 - 4 of 4 Posts