Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I am getting to be an old hound on the plasma posts, but receivers are a new area for me. I am thinking about upgrading my receiver and wanted to know your thoughts on the ONKYO TX-NR801. In particular the ethernet capabilities to access your MP3s. For comparison I am looking at the Yamaha 2400. I did read the various threads on the Yamaha 2400 and it seems to have good, yet mixed reviews. However, I did not find very much information on the ONKYO TX-NR801. So, your thoughts would be most appreciative.

FYI

I currently have the NAD 7400C and Marantz 8000. I like the SQ of the NAD, but I am looking for a receiver that has at least 3 digital opitcal inputs.

Thank you!

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have the TX-NR801 and have been THRILLED With it! I replaced my Harman Kardon AVR75 with it.

The MP3 capabilities are great! I was going to build a Home Theater PC for serving MP3's and doing some HDTV PVR stuff, but since my cable company is releasing an HDTV recorder next month I don't need that, and with the Onkyo I don't need it for MP3's either. All I did was put a WAP on my main computer upstairs, bought a little "Gaming" wireless adapter and now I have wireless Internet/network access from my stereo.

Theres an applet you run on your desktop that allows you to label and organize your MP3's, that can be located anywhere on your system, the applet is just a database of locations, titles, genres, etc. Once running all you do is hit the "Network" button on your Onkyo remote and it will popup with a selection for GENRE, ALBUM, ARTIST or PLAYLIST. from there you can drill down and pick what you want to play.

One note: The 801 uses S_Video out for it's OSD, while the 901 uses component. Where this makes a difference is that the 901 upconverts EVERYTHING to component, so you don't have to switch sources to browse songs on your TV (which is easier than browsing them on the tiny LED display on the Onkyo). How I overcome that is that I hit PIP to pull up a small picture-in-picture window that contains my Onkyo OSD, so I can browse songs etc. If you get the 901, it simply overlays the OSD on whatever you are watching. Not a big deal, but it's a differentiating feature of the 901 anyway.

At any rate, the sound quality of the Onkyo is GREAT. TONS of tweakable features and the multifunction learning remote is nice, but the "joystick" button is a bit touchy (sometimes you try to push "up" and it takes it as a "Click" and selects instead of moving up).

All in all, I'm extremely happy with the Onkyo. Movies and music have never sounded better!

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
I too am interested in the NR801, does it play other formats other then .mp3? Also, how is it for bass management?

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
208 Posts
It also plays .WAV and some other Windows formats, but why have a 30MB WAV when you can have a 8MB 300K/s MP3 that sounds as good?

Not sure what you mean by "Bass Management" so I may be off the mark with this, but hopefully I'll stumble on your answer somewhere...

You can adjust the LFE crossover from the unit, but it defaults to the "THX Standard" 80HZ. It allows you to change LFE output volumes based on setting, so you can have LFE at 0db for music and at -2db for THX movies, or whatever. You can independently adjust all output levels, of course, but then set a relative gain just for DTS/etc modes if you prefer not to have a "one setting fits all" setup.

When I got my NR801 I also switched from a JBL sub (POS!) to a Velodyne CHT12, so I don't know how much to attribute to the receiver and how much to the sub, but the LFE sounds 100X better than ever before.

Hope that helps, let me know if there is something more specifically you wanted. Also Onkyo has the user manual downloadable from their website if you want to peruse it.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
So, am I understanding this correctly that if you have your fronts set to "small" and your crossover set to "60" that you sub will always switch on (when the source demands it)(in all modes?)? Because the AVR that I use right now does not let me crossover less then 100(which is annoying to me)

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
156 Posts
Armand, you said your cable company is releasing an HDTV Recorder next month, which cable company is this? I have been waiting for Time Warner to come out with thier version of this, but have heard nothing at this time!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Also with the ethernet port, can you use an external wireless attena to receive signal through the receiver? My receiver is downstairs, and all my computers and router are upstairs, I do not really want to run a ethernet cable through the celing/floor, or outside, to get the receiver hooked up to the network. Does anyone know if this is a possibility.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Thedarksyde
Armand, you said your cable company is releasing an HDTV Recorder next month, which cable company is this? I have been waiting for Time Warner to come out with thier version of this, but have heard nothing at this time!
I am with Insight cable http://www.insight-com.com/ . Their PVR records 10 hours of HDTV (lossless! No recompression needed) or 60+ hours of NTSC.

Quote:
Also with the ethernet port, can you use an external wireless attena to receive signal through the receiver?
If by "signal" you mean network, then yes (NOT AM/FM). Get an 802.11 hub/switch/router (whichever you need for your LAN) and then just a dumb access point (linksys makes one for $70) and plug it in to your receiver.

My computer is upstairs, my receiver downstairs, and they communicate wirelessly.

·
Registered
20 Posts
w00t!! I've been looking for an answer like this for a week now! Thanks for the answers guys!

I'm going to be hooking up an Onkyo 901 receiver up to my 54g wireless network, and you guys just made my day with these answers!! NOW, I don't have to pull a boat load of Cat 5e cable through my new house now!! WHEW!!:D

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great feedback - thank you !!

I have another question about the Onkyo, how does it fair in the music quality? Should I care about the THD of .08% vs. Yamaha 2400 of .04% THD?

For reference, a buddy of mine said that the Yamaha 2400 had nice mids, but the Denon AVR 3803 had nice highs and lows. So where does the Onkyo excel and/or fall short? Obviously going out and listening for myself is necessary, but I like to hear from those who have this running up in their home and how their comparison shopping went.

Thanks

·
Registered
208 Posts
I always thought the Yamahas were very "Bright" (highs), but that may have been the speakers.

Anyway, as per above, it all depends on the speakers!

Compared to my Harman Kardon, the Onkyo is PERFECTLY balanced. I get very sharp mids, the highs aren't overly bright just very crisp. EXCELLENT for music and for home theater (my HK didn't do music very well, strangely enough, it always sounded muddy).

I am using Wharfedale Valdus 400's for fronts, which tend to really accentuate the highs and lower-mids, but since most of my mid-midrange (vocals) end up coming out of my center channel that works out perfectly for me. I have Polk RTi30's for center-surrounds and FXi38's for rear-surrounds and these speakers have been fantastic all the way.

As for the THD rating, I never know if I can trust those numbers to begin with. Can you hear the difference between .08 and .04 with sub-$1000 speakers anyway? I don't know. The Onkyo sounds MANY times cleaner than my HK AVR75, but I don't know what the THD rating was for that receiver. If you ask me, "On Paper" means nothing compared to what your ear tells you, and my ear tells me that the Onkyo is one amazing receiver as long as you have the speakers to handle the power and do justice to the sound.

I've only been able to crank up my receiver to -4DB so far, and I have to say that my head will implode before the amp sounds overdriven. The reference level, 0DB, is pretty much unreachable before I go deaf with this setup.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.