AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I just went out and bought some "Kilz 2" latex primer the other day and have begun to apply it on my walls in my new room. I have the main screen wall done and the ceiling joining the screen wall.

Since then (the other night) have been doing some research about tinting the primer. Do you guys think I should stop, and go tint my primer and apply to the rest of the room AND re-apply to the spots already done with the regular white primer?

Final paint Colors have not yet been decided, but are going to be dark neutral type colors (ie. Chocolate browns, BUT maybe a couple sections of light taupe etc).

What do you guys think? Perhaps i should just continue as I am expecting it will take a few coats of the final color to cover everything....

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
For those of us painting Red, Black or Blue it is definately recommended to tint the primer grey. If you final color is in the brown family you may want something other than grey.

I suggest you ask you local paint store... they would know best, but I would think any tinting that gets you closer to your final color would be best.

Remember to stay away from light colors anywhere near the screen.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by budk /forum/post/15553728

Remember to stay away from light colors anywhere near the screen.

referring to the final color of course right?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Yes, I was referring to the final colors.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
As above.

Tinting it for other colors is nice but I have never been able to tint it and then apply only 1 coat of even the most expensive paint. Usually it is at LEAST 2 coats.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Tinted primer is definitely helpful, especially when dealing with darker colors. It may make the difference between 1 or 2 coats and 5. (That was for a real deep shade of red, it was a huge p.i.t.a.).

·
Registered
1,974 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkpixie08 /forum/post/15554846

Tinted primer is definitely helpful, especially when dealing with darker colors. It may make the difference between 1 or 2 coats and 5. (That was for a real deep shade of red, it was a huge p.i.t.a.).

I had one of those p.i.t.a. red colors in my master bedroom in our last house. We painted 3 coats and you could still see roller marks. We had planned a faux finish anyway so we just decided to stop at 3 and apply the top coat. Worked out perfectly in the end, but if I had to keep painting the red color to get it right I don't know how many coats it would have taken!

·
Registered
519 Posts
I just painted our ensuite a dark brown colour and used the BM Aura. Started with white drywall primer and one coat would have done it had I not tried to make 1 quart cover the entire room. Ended up using another half quart. Anyways, I suggest the Aura. Best paint I've ever used. And apparently the "washability" is the same no matter what sheen you get.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Tint the primer 75% of the final color when you can.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just to share my experience. I tinted my primer, but decided to change the final colour to red. Not a good idea. 6 coats later.... Yeah, be careful with red.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi all. So....based on your input, should i go back tint all my primer then go over whole room including the sections I already painted with white primer?

Thanks

·
Registered
893 Posts
Nah not if you already primed, it would not hurt at all, but I am not sure you need to do that... stop by your local Sherwin Williams and ask them. My painter always does it, that is all I know.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LOL well one of my optional colors was going to be that deep dark Asian red color but perhaps Ill skip that LOL thanks guys

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I had my dining room done in a deep red. The key is to use a good paint and the right primer (grey in this case). 2 coats of red and it looks great.... so it can be done.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Please don't be afraid of using deep red, it's a great color for walls. Just make sure you use a tinted primer if you go that route. The time we used 5 coats was for a set piece, and we were hoping to get away without the primer (shoe-string budget).

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I dont know if other brands do it, but I know I used sherwin williams paint and on the colors they tell you whether or not you should use tinted primer and if so, what tint you should actually use. Sometimes you will just need 2 coats with normal primer but other times you will need it tinted a certain shade, so I would check with the paint manufacturer if it is needed because simply tinting it is not the answer, you still want it to be tinted the right shade/darkness

1 - 18 of 18 Posts