AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
I think I would stick with the receiver's amps unless you have unusual speakers or a very large venue.

·
Registered
12,973 Posts
Can't make any recommendations until we know which speakers you are driving, but in general I agree with FMW.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I use a pair of pro amps (behringer ep4000 and inuke nu4-6000) to run the LCR+surrounds in my home theather with excellent results.

That said, I agree with what FMW said.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses, much appreciated.

Let me add here that eventually would like to replace the AVR with a decent 2 channel preamp, like a Parasound or similar, so starting with separate amplification would make sense.

Not too concerned about room correction as I cannot detect a major difference with Audyssey on or off as it is.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Sorry. Just in a mood. If by "pro" you mean amps designed for pa use, likely with fans for coolikg, etc., the Behriger and others meet the definition. If by pro you mean amps that high school and college bands can sfford but are likely to fail when transported multiple times per week, then those brands certainly qualify. If yojumean amps actually used by the thousands of musicians who eke out a bare living having to be up and running multiple times a week, those amps do not qualify.

Been a decade or more since I worked at a music retailet, but the stack of dead equipment was dominated, more than 90 percent, by those amps. They at least used toi reverse engineer good designs so if they work they are okay. But nobody tours with that equipment. It's poor-but-dedicated amateur equipment at best. Probably just right for me as long as I buy a backup. It ain't pro just because gc sells it.

Rant over

1 - 6 of 6 Posts