AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are people's thoughts RBH MC-616 in wall speakers? There is no place in my area that carries them, but they seem to be a good company from the review i have seen. Any opinions?

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'm an RBH dealer and I use the MC-616 in-walls (w/ MC-6DB surrouinds) in my family room. They are more than ample for a casual viewing area. The speakers are very responsive and they have a high WAF (especially if you paint the grills to match the walls). I'd recommend you match them up with a sub. RBH has some in-wall subs, if you are trying to eliminate speaker cabinets in the room.

For a more serious viewing area (i.e., $$), I'd recomend looking at the Signature Series. The SI-760 is the design equivelent to the MC-616 (i.e., two 6" woofers and a one inch tweeter -- in a MTM design). I'm using four SI-760/Rs as surronds in my theater. They clearly are a step up from the MC-616, however you need to install a seperate back box.

If you haver any specific questions about RBH, PM me.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Quite like mine. I have 3 across the front and 615's in-ceilings for effects. I was quite concerned that moving to in-walls would be a huge shift down from my Paradigm Titans and centre channel, but that didn't seem to be the case for me. Would concur with the sub recommendation though, especially for home theatre use. I can't speak for RBH subs, as I have kept my Paradigm PDR-12 in my setup.

·
Registered
17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA HDman /forum/post/12967894

I'm using four SI-760/Rs as surronds in my theater. They clearly are a step up from the MC-616, however you need to install a seperate back box.

Can I assume by this statement that the MC-616 are an enclosed, closed-back unit? If so these may be the best choice & price point for me however I am not ruling out other options. I have a 92" projection screen fixed directly to the wall and the height of the MC-616's (20inches) would be suitable but I would a taller unit. If there are better alternatives, I'm all ears.

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
As an aside, RBH was one of the first speaker companies to market sealed-box inwall speakers. Way back in 1989 they were making two models for me when I was at Fosgate Audionics.

·
Registered
182 Posts
bshelkey,

Sorry for the confusion. The RBH MC-616 do not have back enclosures on them (stock from the factory). You can purchase a back enclosure box for the MC-616 speakers if you want. It is not required in order to install the MC-616s in a standard sheetrock wall. [FYI, the back enclosures are not very expensive.]

In my prior message, my point was that the Signature SI-760 speaker need a back enclosure. This is due to the fact that the SI-760 (or all the RBH Signature In-walls) have a diffent mounting system then the MC series in-walls. The Signature Series in-wall actually screw into the back enclosure box. The enclosure has a 5/8" lip on the front where the speaker baffle sits. You then run around ten screws through the baffle intot he enclosure box.

I have installed some SI-760s in columns without using a back enclosure box, however it requires that you build a frame inside the column with a lip extending behind the baffle so you have somewhere to mount the SI-760 speaker baffle. [If you end up doing this, send me a PM and I can provide you with soem additional instructions which may be helpful.]

As far as size goes, the SI-760s are about the same size as the MC-616s. The Signature series is a cut above the MC Series in terms of quality, however both speakers sound great. It really up to your own personal preference and budget. You should listen to both sets of speakers side by side using the same material and decide which you like better. If you need to locate a dealer, refer to the RBH web site. If you happen to be in the DC area let me know and you can come by my showroom and demo both sets of speakers.

BTW, Triad in-walls are very nice and they have a back enclosure. You should also listen to them. My general impression is that the Triad Silver 6 in-walls are roughly similar to the MC-616 in terms of design specs. You would need to check with an individual dealer in your area to determine the price difference. My general sense is that the Triads Silvers are typically priced above the RBH MC Series, but below the Signature Series. For RBH Sound, individual dealers have some degree of price flexibility, I suspect Triad delears have the similar pricing arrangements. The best thing to do is go listen to some speakers and talk to the dealer in your area.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts