AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am installing a front projector in my family room/home theater and am contemplating the various screen mounting options.

In picture one is the current setup/wall unit. It has a 50" rear projector built into it. The screen for the front projector should come down in front of the whole wall unit. The total width of the middle 3 sections (i.e., without the end speaker units) is about 105". Height of the wall unit is 73"

Now for some photoshop work.

In the second picture, I have added some trim extending 6" up from the wall unit. Behind this trim is a pull down screen on a pull out assembly....So...to pull down the screen, you would pull the entire assembly forward, giving the screen clearance in front of the wall unit, and then the screen would pull down.

The disadvantage of this setup is that given step 1 (pulling out the assembly) is manual, there is no need for an electric screen, and in fact, there is risk to someone operating the electric screen when the assembly is not extended (I guess I could put in some limit switches). Also, if I use a manual setup, tensioned gray materials become an issue as they are hard to find in this configuration.

Further, I would prefer a 92" wide screen, and in a tensioned screen, the case is over the 105" width of the top trim, so I would have to downsize the screen.

The lower picture is simply a screen hanging 6"above and slightly in front of the wall unit (in a wood box matching the wall unit - oak with a Watco cherry oil finish). This gives me electric tensioned options, but may be a bit unsightly, particularly when viewed from the side as this is a full 3' from the rear wall. My wife and I agree that the rendering makes it look better than we expected.

I solicit any thoughts as to options, etc. My goal is to ultimately permit an electric tensioned screen at video format and 92" wide with gray material (e.g., Firehawk).

(I also may mount a new center channel speaker above the screen as it will block the current one).

db

·
Registered
71 Posts
I like option #3. It doesn't look that bad IMO.

If you chose #2, you might regret the smaller screen size.

Before making a decision, keep in mind your viewing distance and the capabilities of your projector (and anything else that would affect the screen size).

·
Registered
3,991 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yesm similar, but in my case, the center cabinet (with the rear projector) is forward of the two adjacent cabinets and likewise, they are forward of the two end speaker cabinets; the whole think steps back from the center cabinet by cabinet. Therein lies the problem; I do not have a linear top profile to hide a screen in like the referenced post; so I have this moving assemply issue to deal with, or as in my option 3, hang a screen above it.

db

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.