AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't see a lot of posts of Sony RP TVs here. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? I'm interested in the KDP-65XBR2 (well actually it's successor when they come out), and it seems to carry a pretty hefty price. It lists for $6499, and the lowest I see it advertised for is around $4500. Is it really worth that much money? I want a really good 65" HDTV, but I don't want to spend extra thousands of dollers for something that is just slightly better than something else.

Ron

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What's the difference between the models offered? For instance the following:

KP-53S75

KP-53V90

KP-53HS20

KP-53HS30

are all 53" widescreen models. Now the only 65" screen that I see is the KDP-65XBR2. It appears that the XBR versions cost much more than the HS20, HS30, V90, or S75 versions. What's the difference?

Ron

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmmm, the lack of Sony responses concerns me. Is it just that they are more expensive?

I just found out that I can't order the RP XBR sets anymore from the factory. I'm HOPING it's because they are working on making the new sets. Does anyone have any information about the new sets or when they're going to be announced/released?

Ron

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I don't know a lot about the Sony line. There have been a lot more posts about various models (typically the HWs) in the "HDTV Hardware" forum. The 57" and 65" XBRs are pretty nice sets from what I can see, with very crisp pictures that seem to give a clear 3D impression. Yes, they are very expensive, up with the Pioneer Elites. I can't say if they impress me as much as the Elites, however, so if I were to spend that much I would likely opt with Pioneer.

There has been a lot of good things said about the 57HW40 (or some such number) model. It is more of a mid-range unit and I haven't seen one displayed that impressed me a lot, but that could just be the ineptness of the displayers.

There was also something mentioned on the Hardware forum about Sony pulling back on this current line in prep for their next release with HDMI support, since they are one of the supporters of all that. While the XBRs have integrated tuners and IEEE connections, you won't have the ability to get a HDMI connection which *might* be important sometime down the line.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm definitely going to wait, however I'm trying to get an understanding of the product lines and manufacturers now so I target the right TV. I'm switching back and forth as to what is the "best" RP TV right now. I have a good budget of around $5k which will let me get almost any of these models. But I still can't figure out what makes one 65" set cost $8000 MSRP (Pioneer) and another cost $6800 MSRP (Sony XBR).

It really comes down to the best value. I would pay for a better quality TV. The problem is I have no idea if one is really better than another, other than the specs I see. Sure I can look at a screen and decide if I like it better than another, but without trying it for a few weeks that's such a preliminary view, it's almost worthless.

So all of your expertise is really important to me. :) Actually, I think I'll create a thread about high end RP TVs.

Ron

·
Registered
299 Posts
In terms of your questions regarding the different sony sets, some of the price difference is for picture quality related changes and some for additional capability. The XBR2 models have a different screen and a few other hardware changes to improve the picture quality. The XBR2 has a OTA HDTV receiver built in ( as well as surround sound processing and amplifiers, if you care.) The current model has firewire while I understand that the new models coming out are expected to have DVI.

Generally, jumping to the next price level should get you better quality components, ( power supplies, guns, lenses, screens). If you're considering the larger screen sizes, the improvements should be noticable. I recently was shopping for a 55"-65" set and comapring the two 57" sonys side by side showed the XBR2 to have a significantly better picture quality. (And we did a fair amount of adjusting to try to get the lesser priced model to look anywhere near as good)

My personal choices narrowed down to the XBR2s and the Pioneer Elites. Due to size choices and prices, I ended up getting the sony 57" XBR2.

In terms of what to buy today vs. waiting, you might want to search the threads for discussions on firewire vs DVI (vs predicting the future , lol) and decide what impact that plays in your decision.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Aaron S
The XBR2 has a OTA HDTV receiver built in ( as well as surround sound processing and amplifiers, if you care.)
Thanks much for the post! Is the surround sound processor and amplifier good enough that I wouldn't need to purchase a seperate processor and amplifier?

Quote:
Originally posted by Aaron S
My personal choices narrowed down to the XBR2s and the Pioneer Elites. Due to size choices and prices, I ended up getting the sony 57" XBR2.
That's what I've narrowed my choices down to as well. I just want to be sure that I'm not spending money for "premium" options that I'll never use. If they really provide additional functionality that I'll use, then I would want them. Thanks again.

Ron

·
Registered
299 Posts
I wouldnt use them unless you dont already have a Dolby Digital Processor/Reciever. I'll look again but i dont think that it has line outputs for the 5.1 channels, just the sub channel. Also the amplifiers are around 20 watts of unknown quality.

Also, The TV has an optical output to hook up to a processor/receiver for the HDTV Dolby Digital output.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I ended up purchasing a Sony 57HW40. It was the right television for me because I had no interest in sets that had build in tuners and built in surround sound capability. To me thats just stuff i'd pay extra for and ultimately probably not use.

surround sound - already had a cheap surround sound system and knew ultimately that when i wanted a good one, the one built into the RPTV's were likely to be inadequate. To me a waste of money.. Even if you find this feature useful, you still need speakers and a sub. The only thing you wouldn't need is the receiver. So would you pay extra for a t.v. with it built in or would you rather put that money towards a receiver/amp that has the features you want? easy decision for me..

tuner - i knew i wanted directv AND an OTA tuner. Since you can buy set tops with the two combined i knew i didn't want an internal tuner. I figured it was likely down the road i'd buy a seperate tuner anyhow and i'd never be able to sell that internal tuner nor use it on another tv. Ultimately i knew someday there'd be a tivo/ota/sat tuner that i'd really want and then what? internal tuner is basically useless. All in all it didn't seem like something i wanted.. would rather my money go towards PICTURE QUALITY and let me choose those components seperately on my own.

anyhow looking at my price point i ended up finding a 57HW40 for about $2400 pricematched at sears which 8 months ago was a great deal. it had just come out.

Theres a few things you'll learn browsing these forums and ***************.. With the pioneer elite's you just can't go wrong. Everyone agree's they pretty much set the standard. With other brands you get mixed reviews at times and it's more model-dependent. I'd stick to newer models. Most RPTV's have 7" guns.. with 65"+ RPTV's you can get 9" guns which cost quite a bit more but have a comparitvely large improvement in picture quality. Other then the extras like tuner, surround sound, etc the price comes down to the details. Also despite all the "specs" it's a good idea to find out what people think about a model. Just cuz it looks good on paper doesn't mean it doesn't have some problems. Ideally you also want to see one actually working. I spent a lot of time running around to different places looking at different sets to get a feel for what i thought looked good. Also keep in mind the cosmetics of the t.v. and whether it works in your livingspace.

Anyways all in all the XBR's were just not for me for the above reasons. I stayed away from the pioneer elites cuz i really wanted to buy from Sears and get an extended warrenty in case anything went wrong. I knew i'd likely be moving once or twice in the next 5 years and so it made sense to buy from them so i could get it serviced regardless of where i ended up. i've been very happy with it. About the only thing i maybe regret somewhat is not buying a larger set like a 65".. but they were pretty pricey and this is probably the more practical route for me to take.. in a few years i can retire this one to the bedroom and buy whatever new technology is out for the living room.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hi All, I would like to add one think on sony reliability problems and warranty. I will strongly suggest Hitachi if you want best image with out extra gadget that you not going to use for much less. But one good think about sony is they do best 720p.

As far as sound on RPTV's... some boom boxes have better speakers.

Artur

·
Registered
357 Posts
Have a sony 65XBR with the integrated tuner. Have had the set for about 10 months. Picture is great and have had no maintenance trouble. It comes with all the bells and whistles. Probably wouldn't have been satisfied otherwise. Not sure if other RPTV PIP's give you two almost 1/2 screen size channels. Great for watching two shows at a time. Sound through the TV and the other channel through the stereo. No distortion or fade out looking from the side.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.